Beta 1.1 Graphics & Lag SOLVED

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On checking out the config.cfg and autoexec.cfg files, it appears the team utilized a lot less wide a range of variables in the settings of the half-life engine. For my radeon 9700 pro, this made the game work lousy.

For many graphics cards these new settings in the config.cfg (I say new because I never saw them in 1.0, and had changed the autoexec.cfg to fit my needs then anyhow)

I am thinking about writing a tweak guide to ESF, but now the game runs very smooth for me once I edited that stuff.

I have one single complaint: apparently, there's no way to bind crouch. lol

Otherwise, though: good work. hehe. Remember: work on your cfg files and you can jack the performance up 100-fold!

Best answers
Ok When r u gonna write this tutorial because i think geting 100 fps is really nice so what do you do?

Best answers
Just another reason why Nvidia rules over ATI =D i get a constant 70 fps at 1024x748 on the highest quality etc etc when final flash is fire then it zooms to 30 momentarily then back to 70!

I know but i just like how Nvidia has no probs ATI does some games run better on ATI some on Nvidia! Nvidia the way its meant to be played i will soon up to a 256 geforce fx cya in the game!

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SaiyanPrideXIX

I have one single complaint: apparently, there's no way to bind crouch. lol
Crouch is non existent in ESF. We had no use for it so we removed it. If you are trying to fly downward use swimdown. That's the only reason I can think of why you would want +crouch.

What types of tweaks did you use?

By the way, ATI is known for good graphics cards but crappy driver support.

Best answers
Okay.. It's kinda ignorant to claim that you've solved all the graphics and lag problems, and then not provide a -single- method of how you did it. If you didn't plan on divulging any information in terms of fixing the problems other than bragging about how you have done so, why create this post?

Best answers
he says to work on your autoexec and config. And he says he might make a tutorial on it

Best answers
Originally posted by ]Majin[-Frieza
Just another reason why Nvidia rules over ATI =D i get a constant 70 fps at 1024x748 on the highest quality etc etc when final flash is fire then it zooms to 30 momentarily then back to 70!

I know but i just like how Nvidia has no probs ATI does some games run better on ATI some on Nvidia! Nvidia the way its meant to be played i will soon up to a 256 geforce fx cya in the game!
I too get a fairly constant 70-ish fps on my GeForce 4 MX 440.
nVIDIA rule!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Halorin
Okay.. It's kinda ignorant to claim that you've solved all the graphics and lag problems, and then not provide a -single- method of how you did it. If you didn't plan on divulging any information in terms of fixing the problems other than bragging about how you have done so, why create this post?
Dude...I went to go play the ****! lol

It wasn't meant to brag...I honestly didn't want to give out the settings I used since my driver set is unique (NON-catalysts) and my card isn't that common. The Ati-specific settings would probably mess a lot of stuff up for the Nvida people.

I will post some of my tweaks later on, because I have to get to bed and have work in like three hours. :0\

What it looks like may have happened is simply this: the config.cfg file is a LOT MORE SPECIFIC this time around. There were values in there strictly relating to certain graphics effects and card chipsets that, quite frankly, weren't my card's strong points (it looked set up for a mid range GeForce, but I can't tell much since I didn't look at it too in-depth).

Because these settings are so specific, and there are so many of them, it would seem that the game will only work idealistically on a small group of geforce cards at best.

There are also some general things you can do with ESF to make it run better such as adjusting your client rate or texture format, but it's all in cfg's, not in-game menus. Half-Life's a ***** like that.

I was in an eight player ffa tonight with a pretty good ping (50-80) and a solid 70-100 FPS, which is better than before, but before I made the tweaks in my CFG's, it was barely breaking 40 and my ping was never lower than 120.

You also may all want to check out the advanced options under the menu where you name your character. There are some new graphical options that you can choose to sacrifice to get more fps. (One new setting is beam quality!)

Until tomorrow, all.

PS: Team, great work!

Best answers
HEHE that was my server saiyan :D

I noticed my fps actually has gone up since the patch. The only thing I changed was fps_max. It was set to 72 and I changed it 100. Thats about it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude...that was a nice server!!

The game is a lot more stable once you get it configured correctly; I think anyone will agree, once you've got it set up that it's pretty rock solid compared to the last one. I love the new melee and beam physics--explosions and impacts actually MOVE you!!

Well I'm still at work but I just wanted to let everyone know that later I might post the old 1.0 config files versus the beta 1.1's configs, so we can see the differences. If not, though, I'll still share my settings.

It won't help everyone but it's a start.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A couple of things I changed to help my FPS were to:

Go to customize in the multiplayer menu. When there, go to advanced. Turn off all the effects possible, and turn the others down as low as possible(like beam quality to crappy)

I haven't seen much of a visual change in the mod when turning all the options down or off, but I did notice that my framerate went up to the norm.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, Nvidia is the bomb sometimes but right now ATI has the best video card on the market. Oh, and I get a constant 70fps at 1600x1400. I'm also forcing anti-aliasing and 32bit color. :p beat that with the g2 mx400

Best answers
crap on the crappy g2 mx, i use the 2nd best geforce, the awesome power of the ti4600, the only reason i dint get the geforce fx was because it was wicked loud

i only get game slow-downs when there are alot of people in the server, my fps always stops at around 60-70, and my ping is usually 20 - 60

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Scorcher2k
Ok, Nvidia is the bomb sometimes but right now ATI has the best video card on the market. Oh, and I get a constant 70fps at 1600x1400. I'm also forcing anti-aliasing and 32bit color. :p beat that with the g2 mx400
Wish my 9700 Pro would do that like it's supposed to...

Best answers
Originally posted by SaiyanPrideXIX
Wish my 9700 Pro would do that like it's supposed to...
I wish I had a 9700 pro :(
Ill just wait for the 9800 :D

btw saiyan the server is back up :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow, thanks for taking the time to do this. I really really appreciate the work your putting in to help me and the rest of the community to raise our peformace. :p

NOW HURRY UP

:devgrin:

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a 9700 pro. I can't wait to see what kind of a performance increase I get when I change over to a gig of dual channel pc3200 instead of this lonely 512mg stick of pc2100...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...it looks like I was wrong about the config files being very different from 1.0's, but the fact of the matter is editing them still helps. The CFG files are how you edit half-life's graphical options, whereas most newer games have these things in the menus (things like refresh rate, 32bit texture depth, etc).

To be honest, you'd have to tinker with it. I added these lines to my autoexec.cfg in the Beta 1.0 days, and it drastically increased performance for me...doing the same in 1.1 also drastically increased performance from the defaults.

[Please Note: If you have WIndows XP, the OS will lock your refresh rate to 60hz during games, meaning that with vsync on, you will be stuck at a max of 60 fps even if you set half-life to do otherwise. To remedy this I use a program called RefreshLock that I got from Tweak3d.com, that forces my refresh rate to always be at it's highest safe limit. Please remember DO NOT SET THAT PROGRAM HIGHER THAN YOUR MONITOR OR GRAPHICS CARD CAN GO, OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THEM.)

Okay now...on to my config file. I'll do my best to explain what it all does, or at least as much as I know, anyhow...

AUTOEXEC.CFG - Everything below the first three lines is added...and changing these ****s stuff up royally, so I wouldn't bother much to try:

r_mmx "1" <--Default
r_dynamic "0" <--Default
sv_cheats "0" <--Default
fps_max "100" <--Tells ESF my maximum framerate allowed ingame is 100fps. It will not go higher, so don't try. I recommend everyone set this, as I don't know why it isn't in the file in the first place...(there is a setting in the CONFIG.CFG file in the ESF folder that tells the game to max at it's default of 72...which sucks cause...if you are at 70 and lose 40 fps, you're in the dumps...if you're at 100 and you lose 40, it's not as much of a horrible loss visually)
gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" <--This is one of four possible settings telling half-life how to render its textures. THe four settings are really variations of that one, but this is the highest setting. Think of it like this: of the four settings, two are for low and high quality bilinear filtering, and two are for low and high quality TRIlinear filtering. I'll try to find the commands again, I think I found them off of a website called "i.am.halflife" or something like that, if it helps.
gl_max_size "512" <--This is the texture cache. I jacked it up to 512. I had it up at 1024 before but it didn't seem to help any, so I lowered it a bit and called it even. It's default, I believe, is 256.
cl_showfps "1" <--A better way to view your framerate than using the net graph. It's much less intrusive (upper right corner) and is slightly less accurate, but doesn't adversely affect performance as much on low end machines.
r_displayrefresh "100" <--Tells Half-Life to force my 100hz refresh rate. THis is kind of redundant since RefreshLock forces it anyway, but I wanted to be certain, and non-XP people may be able to use this command as well.
vid_wait "1" <--This is SUPPOSED to turn on Vsync. I want this because my Vsync would sync me in at 100fps max...which is the engine's max anyway, so I wouldn't be missing out. I get refresh rate tearing, which is why I set this...but as yet, it has made no difference either way. Maybe there is a setting in the CONFIG.CFG file that is overriding this one?
cl_rate "7000" <--This is a customized data rate between half-life's DSL and T1/Lan settings. THis works well for my cable modem; when I find the guide I used to learn all of this, I will post good settings for various connections. It should also be known that some people in TFC would bind various rates to keys, and use them to compensate for lag.
precache "1" <--This tells the game to pre-cache all the textures. A longer wait for the level to load, but performance overall improves.
ati_npatch "0" <--This weird thing...just seems to make ATI cards suddenly smoke and work massively better in half-life. I HIGHLY recommend using this setting for ATI card users, since it was the BIG difference maker in my game when I first discovered it (Note: there are a few similar looking settings in the CONFIG.CFG file as well, maybe they work in conjunction?)

I don't understand the other file as well, but I'm working on learning the settings. If I learn anything else that is useful, or recall/rediscover the variables for some of these settings, I will post some more info.

Best answers
Real quick interjection....

Im not sure why the default is 72, but it does you absolutely no good setting the max fps at 100. The human eye really cant detect any higher than 60 fps, unless resolution is thru the roof(im talking in the 2k pix range). I don't know if asking HL to render 100 fps is chewing up extra processor power that can be used elsewhere, but 100 is overkill. Plus, it's not like having it lower increases your chances of getting fps drops. If you are about to have an fps drop, HL will compensate for that by using more resources, that is unless you are all out. w3rd.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for posting so I don't have to go looking :p. A couple I knew of from the old days and a couple new that I very much like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom