Battle of Z

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That was the point, it's much harder to have an effective open world, sandbox type game with a fighting game. Especially a dbz fighting game. There's no reason to do it, either. There's nothing to explore and no reason to detach from the enemy.

Definitely don't want it becoming DBZ god of war. I guess a console Buu's Fury would be cool.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
You know what I'd like to see in a DBZ game? Hmm, I just thought of this right now so IDK how good it is, but... Has anyone ever played Fight Night? The boxing game? I'd like to have that level of complexity in my BASIC attacks in a DBZ RPG. Meaning, you start out with the ability to punch kick and block in various mid/low/high levels, and then as you level up and increase your powerlevel you can perform new moves, faster punches, stronger punches, or even use Super Speed to slow down time temporarily so that you can block and counter your opponents moves perfectly.... There could be up to 10 levels of Super Speed. So if your opponent triggers his and you don't have yours on, it'll just be a flurry of punches that you'd be lucky to dodge... But if you both hit it at the same time, then it'd just be normal fight speed. Also, I want Ultimate Tenkaichi's style for the Ultimate attacks except that you can only use them ONCE per battle. Idk, it could be fun.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
What limits any game isn't the dimensions usable, but lack of insight on the part of the game developers. I get the feeling that DBZ to you is described by the huge beams/blasts and big explosions. I like Dragonball because it's a martial arts genre manga, and because of the sense of despair that Toriyama masterfully manages to work when it's really all or nothing battles. Dbz doesn't need a 3d plane to be amazing, it needs some creativity. And, like I said, the BT series ARE 2d fighters. They work 3d modeling and environments into it, but it's still linear and you're locked onto your enemy 99% of the time. ESF is the only fighting game that's truly 3d. And hell, I personally think Budokai 3's cutscenes did a -much- better job making the explosions seem earth shattering than anything else I've seen.
Because that's what the DBZ "WOW" factor is. The massive scale of the epic battles. Hell, even just knowing that each character is exponentially stronger than any normal being makes me tingle, nevermind when they transform essential blasting through their own boundaries. I could never get the same feeling of power if, say when you power up the dust only gathers 2 meters around you or you shoot a beam 10 meters away which is essentially what you do in a 2D game because of the dimension representation restrictions. If you like 2D fighters so much go play Mugen with DBZ characters. Sound like it's right up your alley. I do agree that the B3 cinematics did do an incredible job at representing the said scale though.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Yeah and in regards to scale.... The new Mushroom cloud effect in the latest ESF video is pretty amazing. Imagine seeing THAT in a server full of fighters.

BTW this is random but has anyone ever done this move in Team Multiplayer where you grab a guy and start to throw him towards your friend, while your friend charges up an energy beam and explodes it directly in his face? Soooo fun.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Because that's what the DBZ "WOW" factor is. The massive scale of the epic battles. Hell, even just knowing that each character is exponentially stronger than any normal being makes me tingle, nevermind when they transform essential blasting through their own boundaries. I could never get the same feeling of power if, say when you power up the dust only gathers 2 meters around you or you shoot a beam 10 meters away which is essentially what you do in a 2D game because of the dimension representation restrictions. If you like 2D fighters so much go play Mugen with DBZ characters. Sound like it's right up your alley. I do agree that the B3 cinematics did do an incredible job at representing the said scale though.
Then why not go play Ultimate Tenkaichi? That's what it was all about, the "Wow factor" and not the gameplay. That "Wow factor" gets boring after it's already wow'd you. I prefer a fighting system that encompasses skill and strategy over flashy graphics. And, honestly, I don't want that ability to charge up some ridiculous beam instantly and fire it like in bt3. I'd rather super moves be a very thought out and polished cutscene to give them that sense of epicness and instill that "oh shit" moment into the enemy.

My experience in 3d fighters is that it's never done well. I think there was a sword based fighting game back on the Psx that did it well, but that was all I can think of. A game like dbz, where you fly and throw nuke level explosives around like you don't even give a shit about the balance of a local ecosystem will have a hard time making that jump and it's beginning to look like technology isn't yet good enough to do it without leaving us permalocked on the enemy.

I just don't think it'll happen without a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Then why not go play Ultimate Tenkaichi? That's what it was all about, the "Wow factor" and not the gameplay. That "Wow factor" gets boring after it's already wow'd you. I prefer a fighting system that encompasses skill and strategy over flashy graphics. And, honestly, I don't want that ability to charge up some ridiculous beam instantly and fire it like in bt3. I'd rather super moves be a very thought out and polished cutscene to give them that sense of epicness and instill that "oh shit" moment into the enemy.

My experience in 3d fighters is that it's never done well. I think there was a sword based fighting game back on the Psx that did it well, but that was all I can think of. A game like dbz, where you fly and throw nuke level explosives around like you don't even give a shit about the balance of a local ecosystem will have a hard time making that jump and it's beginning to look like technology isn't yet good enough to do it without leaving us permalocked on the enemy.

I just don't think it'll happen without a mouse and keyboard.
Well no cos UT does not put that "WOW" factor in my hands, it's just making me press buttons to trigger essential movies with me having no control over how they pan out apart from chances. It also takes me out of the battle with its QTEs that essentially have no place in a fighting game (never liked them in any game). I just don't think anything extraordinary will happen until Virtual Reality becomes a popular thing. I think even mouse and keyboard are too restrictive to properly immerse you in games. It's been a real problem for me ever since a few years back. Ever since then I've been looking for hardware that could immerse me more in games for eg. the Zalman FPS Gun. But I find nothing currently out there helps. Even played BT3 on Wii but the unresponsiveness of the motions takes me out of the game like you wouldn't believe.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
My experience in 3d fighters is that it's never done well. I think there was a sword based fighting game back on the Psx that did it well, but that was all I can think of.
That amazing game you just mentioned was...Bushido Blade 1&2. 2 being the best. The whole one shot kill combat in a huge open environment was kick ass

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah yeah, that was a really fun game and I almost wish they had taken it further with the next gen systems. But it being a japanese game before the era of online support doomed it.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
****in Bushido Blade! Oh man! My bro and I played that all the time. First man to lose a leg was owned flat out. Man no other game had such limb damage. We need this again. Also I saw some gameplay for battle of Z. Doesn't look too bad so far.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It's basically a console version of Zenkai Battle Royale with lesser visuals as far as I can tell. Seriously though, some of these characters' textures look like ass.

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
NB had a great idea with the way the super and ultimate attacks and the defense options worked in UT.. Think it would have been better if you used ki for both of them, forcing the player to pick and choose if they wanted to defend from that low level energy attack, or just let it hit and save their energy for a stronger one. Sadly, this new game seems to go back to the BT and RB style of super attacks, where a character can lazily move left or right to avoid a beam. When I buy a DBZ game, I want to feel like I'm playing DBZ. Not a fighter with DBZ skins. UT did that well enough in the 'wow' area and the way the super/super defense system worked. Melee could have used work, but they had a good foundation for the other systems. This one just seems to go back to that BT style with the addition of things from Zenkai Battle Royal as Ender said.

All of that being said.. I'm kinda worn out on the DBZ fighting console games. It's time we got an RPG that spans from the start of DB to end of Z in one game, last good one on console was LotSS. Or hell, give us something like DBO. Use the DBO storyline for a console RPG. Let us make our character, use key plot points from that for the foundation of the story of the game and build from that.

Also, Darkowns and Son Gogeta, someone needs to get on the horn to whoever it is they need to talk to.. we need a new Bushido Blade!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'd love to see some freeroam adventure and shit in a DBZ RPG. That, and being able to decide whether or not you're good/bad. Leveling a city with an energy blast would be... satisfying.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
It's basically a console version of Zenkai Battle Royale with lesser visuals as far as I can tell. Seriously though, some of these characters' textures look like ass.
...This one just seems to go back to that BT style with the addition of things from Zenkai Battle Royal as Ender said. ...
God dammit that's what I said! Just that nobody acknowledges me :'(

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Oh mine has only 2 pages. I've increased my post sizes per topic per page lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom