Battle of Z

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hard to say from the scans, but I'm not putting up much hope that it'll be anything other than a recreation of Tenkaichi. All I'd want is a DBZ game encompassing the story editing and ultimate attacks from Ultimate Tenkaichi, and combat from Budokai 3. With some HD models and sound online play. that's all it would take for me to gush.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
2D gameplay in a DBZ game.. eh that time has passed. It was okay, but lets not make it into Street Fighter. Budokai 3 got boring after one play-through. Personally I hope they just reinvent the whole system. I'm sick of them just reusing mechanics from older games.

The only consol DBZ game I didn't get was Burst Limit. Heard it was great, but the 2D combat style is pretty boring now... Like turn-based RPG game.

Proud owner of ESF:Final
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
just 1 thing .i hope the gameplay is not as ultimate trashkaichi !

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem with fighting games in general is the gameplay itself. Every game gets boring if you're forced to play a single way over and over, and that's what happens in fighting games.

The budokai games were uniquely fast paced, that's why I like them. Required alot of skill, too. The BT games tried to make up their lack of combat depth with an illusion of space and freedom. But, when it came down to it, you really could only charge at your enemy, or spam attacks from far away. It was like every fighting game ever, but more button mashing. I honestly sometimes wish we could give these developers ESF 1.2 and make them create a system based on it. While it's not perfect, ESF is a huge step in the right direction for a DBZ game.

Earth's Guardian
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
the game allows for 4 players to play cooperatively and up to 8 players to duke it out online at the same time. Players can perform a variety of moves including a Meteor Chain, which seems to be a tag team launch of attack after attack in successive fashion, Synchronized Rush which is rushing the opponent at the same time as your teammate to launch simultaneous attacks, and Revive Soul which is reviving a fallen teammate by giving them energy to get back in the battle.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
2D gameplay in a DBZ game.. eh that time has passed. It was okay, but lets not make it into Street Fighter. Budokai 3 got boring after one play-through. Personally I hope they just reinvent the whole system. I'm sick of them just reusing mechanics from older games.

The only consol DBZ game I didn't get was Burst Limit. Heard it was great, but the 2D combat style is pretty boring now... Like turn-based RPG game.
I agree. Especially with the new and improved tech rolling out for consoles, I'd say 2D games are history and should be left in the hands of Indie developers. I'd like to see them push the envelope with this one. I was reading somewhere that they've been working on the next-gen DBZ game for quite a few years behind the scenes while releasing crappy iterations in the meanwhile just to conform with their contracts as they have to release a new game every year or something.
Source -> this guy Nostal: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nostal-Treevax/198885043468648?fref=ts
On his DeviantArt Journal, he has a few entries in which he relates him and his friends acting as representatives of the fans wishes face to face with Namco Bandai developers through an elaborate presentation made by them relating a collection of wishes and mechanics that fans want to see -> http://nostal.deviantart.com/journal/

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Why? Certain game mechanics would be all the better with 2D gaming. Especially fighting games and platformers.

No reason you can't have a 2d or 2.5d game with all the fluff todays hardware can add.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Why? Certain game mechanics would be all the better with 2D gaming. Especially fighting games and platformers.

No reason you can't have a 2d or 2.5d game with all the fluff todays hardware can add.
I wouldn't play ESF if it was 2D. Making another 2D/2.5D DBZ game would be like having a glorified LemmingBallZ game on steroids. It just shouldn't be happening in this day and age. Apart from not having the same freedom, you can't connect to the characters as easily from a 2D perspective nevermind you can only zoom out so far so you can't see shit. It would be a faster game yes but speed is only 1 part of the equation that is DBZ. I'd rather have a more complex battle mechanic, big huge environments to battle in and hopefully some destruction! 3D works so much better to represent the scale of such things. It would be like trying to play Battlefield 3 or whatever in 2D. It's just not right.

Been proven time and time again that Indie developers are more than capable of making excellent platformers and 2D fighters, RPGs etc.(The Swapper, Bastion etc.). Indie games are awesome because unlike triple A titles they don't really have to push the envelope with their graphics and such, so they can just concentrate on the fun and the core idea of the game and often even without publisher restrictions. The only annoying thing is that Indie developers can't afford licenses to develop such things like a DBZ based game.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Mario, Sonic the Hedgehod, Kirby, and Donkey kong are still 2d games and are arguably the worlds most popular games. And if you hate Nintendo, there's still Marvel vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter. All 1st or 3rd party games. I personally think a martial arts game like Dragon Ball would be held back by a 3d system. Like I said, ESF is a big step in the right direction but there's still problems playing a game like ESF with a controller.

However, a game like Bf3 is designed to be 3d. There have been extemely popular side-scrolling and top-down shooters from both 1st and 3rd parties that got immense claim. Even now, Megaman X is probably one of the best platforming and/or shooters that I've ever played. The side scrolling may limit certain aspects, it delimits what you can do with the guns themselves.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Dark I can agree with you on most of those points, but DBZ doesn't quite compare to what makes most fighters. Even injustice suffered from this. They contained all these super powered characters into what basically amounts to a back ally brawl. Sure they have some need super attacks, but at that point you loose any control you had of the character. And a 2d perspective just puts far too many limitations on what characters in DBZ are capable of, this is why I always appreciated ESF, because its' understood that with flight, high speed movement, melee, and ranged projectiles.. well full 3d movement is the way to go. And keeping you in direct control of your character at all times means that all of that characters power is in your hands. Again.. 2d fighters don't really offer this.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hopefully this game has nothing to do with the Raging Blast or Tenkaichi series at all.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer those scripted super sequences, and budokai 3 had a good way of handling them. Making them hard to land, but extremely satisfying and worthwhile to try too. What I hated about Tenkaichi is things very quickly turned into run away and transform then charge in a mash square. Or run away and spam until the little health your enemy has left is gone.

Makes me thing that a 3d DBZ game can really only be done on pc, with a mouse and keyboard.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Oh god. Where to begin. Looks like Tenkaichi with 4v4 and 8v8 and that's it. That's the only difference. Arenas look even smaller than normal actually. Destruction is just as limited as in Tenkaichi 3, transformations still unimpressive, combat looks quite spammy, the HUD is HUGE and what the hell is up with that constant beeping? The only good thing I see is that Energy Waves and Blasts are now more limited so should feel more impressive and powerful when you do manage to pull one off. Graphics does not look much improved at all. Basically, they just attempted to make ESF on consoles and failed.

Last edited:
Proud owner of ESF:Final
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
damn sorry guys i got tricked

its zenkai battle royal for namcos arcade console not battle of z

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
damn sorry guys i got tricked

its zenkai battle royal for namcos arcade console not battle of z
Thank f*** for that!

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Meh, been reading some articles and it's coming for the old-gen consoles so nothing that exciting to see here. Judging by the scans my guess is they are actually porting Zenkai Battle Royale to Xbox360 and PS3 so probably won't be a world of difference between it and that video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom