Batman: Arkham Origins

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, the review situation with this game honestly depresses me. Most of the reviews are god awful, but it's such a good game. I cant even think how many people will miss out just because a reviewer can't be bothered to play up to an actual plot point or learn the subtleties of the gameplay.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're just being giant ******s because rocksteady didn't make the game.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
He's actually a pretty decend reviewer. And he makes quite some good points about it too.

[video=youtube_share;ehQmPvvjz9E]http://youtu.be/ehQmPvvjz9E[/video]

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I take issue with a lot of what he's saying. At the end of the video, he recommends people play Asylum or City over Origins. I don't understand why anyone would recommend that unless it was purely out of devotion to the voices of 2 men. Origins is a better game, hands down. He thought the story for Origins was lacking, but City or, worse, Asylum's, was better? Really? I guess that's purely subjective, but the story for Origins is above and beyond its predecessors in the story department.

This guy is also complaining about Gotham being empty, despite the loudspeakers repeatedly stating a curfew is in place, and the city is basically being under martial law. It's midnight. No one is allowed outside. That isn't exactly a difficult concept to grasp considering the body count. His main complaint is Origins isn't to Batman what Asylum was. He wanted an entirely new experience, similar to having played City for the first time. If people can gobble up CoDs all the time, I don't see why this is suddenly an issue now. It's because they didn't have to craft entirely new systems that they could focus on crafting a better tale, and improving upon the elements that needed touching up. I guarantee if Rocksteady had made this game, and it was exactly as it is now, it wouldn't get lower than an 8.5. People have wanted to hate this game from the start because 2 washed up actors aren't voicing the protagonist and the main antagonist.

I mean, really: http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-origins-264357.phtml

What kind of bullshit is that?

If this game is what we can come to expect from switching off between two dev teams, I'm all for it. Rocksteady has been working on the next Arkham, and this is perfect to tide everyone over until the next generation. People either expect completely new systems or settle for garbage like CoD. Origins is a happy medium. They kept the best parts, improved on the rest, and its the comic book game we deserve.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be first to say that Origins had a lot of problems in my play through. First of which would be attacks randomly not following through. It was no where near as easy for me to glide kick someone while in mid air as it was in AC. And I found the lack of grapple points while in open world travel a little irritating sometimes.

But: There's no way Asylum did better in the story department. I mean, that ending was ******* TERRIBLE. You know what I mean, concerning the Joker at the end. Won't give any spoilers because I can't figure out how to use the spoiler tags.

And while AC was definitely a huge step up, there was a specific problem I had with the gadgets. You had no reason to use them in combat, yet they gave you such ability to do so. Your fists were more than enough because no one attacked you at the same time as you were attacking. No need for an insta-'rang.

And dude. The origins bosses were fan-*******-tastic. Especially Deathstroke. I felt like Batman for the blissful and brief few minutes that I was fighting him. And I don't even think I've been through them all. I just finished the main story and I get the feeling some of the side quests have the rest of the assassins at the end.

It just...eh, it pisses me off. Some legitimately amazing games I've been playing recently got terrible scores because of the skill level involved. Like Wonderful 101. It's really ******* hard at first, but the game eventually clicks and it became one of my favorite of all time. Combat is incredibly intuitive and the story/characters are great and hilarious. Score? like, 4/10 or some shit.

Edit: And yeah, that review was bs through half of it. He seriously was arguing the odds of Batman having met a bunch of villains in one night, and completely skipped over the fact that Batman already had several run ins with Bane.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats the other thing. Bosses in Asylum and City weren't anything special. Solomon Grundy is the only one that stood out to me, and that had more to do with the setting than anything else. Giant Bane Joker? Really? That's how we're going to end this? And then the whole Ras (I don't give a shit if you haven't played the game) was behind everything thing in City was stupid, and they completed wasted Hugo. I just wish everyone could forget Joker and Ras existed and move on to Hush or maybe have Bane break your back in the beginning, forcing you to play as Azrael.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm surprised Grundy was the only one standing out to you.

I personally always find Freeze pretty entertaining even now that I know how to **** with him and **** him up.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm surprised Grundy was the only one standing out to you.

I personally always find Freeze pretty entertaining even now that I know how to **** with him and **** him up.
Besides thinking the fight was boring and easy, I feel like they've yet to do him justice. He's probably the most tragic character in Gotham.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beat the game. Hands down, the best Batman gave thus far.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, thought the story was well done and was a decent amount of end-game shit to do afterwards. Still haven't done all the sidequests 'cause ******* Sonic the hedgehog, but I'm working on it. Do the rest of the assassins show up or are they saving that as DLC?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of the side quests are related to the assassins, so you end up fighting all of them. I can't believe how they ****ed Deathstroke, though. He's the first guy you fight, and then.....never again. I couldn't believe it. They made such a big deal about him. Make sure you stick around after the credits though. He gets his due. Kinda.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
They also ****ed him as a pre-order character.

I mean really the same animations as Robin from AC. Please tell me they at least gave him different gadgets to throw at people.

Is it also bad that I was somehow hoping he would be somewhat playable in the story like Catwoman was in AC or was I the only one under that delusion?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You were the only one under that delusion.

They could have given Deathstroke Catwoman's animations, and I'd still play as him.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Really now? So you're telling me you would have been satisfied pre-ordering a game to get to play as a character in the challenge maps that moves and fights like a female?

Rather than you know, wanting him to at least have his own special kind of animations.

Oh like I don't know, with him being Deathstroke, he could have been the only playable character that would actually not give a **** about merely knocking his opponents out cold or merely breaking one of their limbs and would rather go out of his way to make sure that anyone he would be facing would be dead afterwards... you know because he's Deathstroke, not the censored version from "that" TV show that goes by his real name like a tosser and no one can figure out who the hell he is...
Sorry I've lost myself for a minute.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. He's Deathstroke, a d-list foe in a rogues gallery of d-listers. I didn't buy the game for him. I bought it for Batman.

If you look, and listen, Batman kills virtually every person he comes in contact with. Interrogating someone lying down? How does he "knock them out"? He stomps on their larynx, and breaks their neck. Lifts someone up by the throat? Time to "knock him out"! Bladed forearm, again, to the neck, followed by a distinct cracking sound. The same sound, actually, that follows Batman breaking someone's neck while they lay helpless. This is the game you've been waiting for! Sure, your hud states they're still alive, but Batman is a ******* lunatic. He clearly fudged it a little bit to keep his fragile mind from cracking into billions of tiny pieces.

Anyway, everyone knows who Slade is. It isn't a secret. The ending of Origins makes that pretty clear. Arrow is a great show, and Crixus is a great Deathstroke.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
A-a wrong... actually I forgot to mention it's an animated TV show not a live action one. I've never seen Arrow and I didn't even know it had Deathstroke in it but now that I know I'll probably have to watch it. Great... thanks for giving me more reasons to be antisocial... internet.

Oh and na-na-na-na you can't apply real world anatomy into the batman universe. That is a world where some form of impacts that would normally be lethal are not lethal at all. They just put people in a coma for a while at worst. Even if it's an "average" human being. That is a fact for pretty much any super hero anything if said superhero is under a code not to kill. And I know most from both DC and Marvel are like that.

I'm really surprised just how satisfied you always seem to be with restrictions and limited things that are put into games when there was potential to be more. When I said killing I meant snapping necks, drawing some blood, aiming for the eyes and various other vital organs doesn't he also have a pistol on him?... use that. Would have raised the pegi rating but I would have bought him as DLC if he were like that. I'm both over 16 and over 18 (even though my mind is less advanced than the average 16-18 year old) so I don't give a ****.

Keeping the anatomy that I just mentioned in mind, the fact that Deathstroke moves like robin and therefore just knocks his opponents out cold means he's not really "Death"stroke, is he?

He's the censored Slade (again from the animated TV show). Badarse, but could have been more.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't watch Arrow. I don't want to have that show in common with you.

Deathstroke isn't a straight up "bad guy". He exists in the grey. If he doesn't have to kill, he won't. His enemy is whomever he's paid to kill, or has wronged him in some way. If he isn't paid to kill everyone in a room, and he doesn't need to, it isn't going to happen. His is an extremely strict code of honor. He isn't the madman you're making him out to be. As for Origins featuring outright murder, yeah....no. That was never an option, and there's really no point in pretending otherwise.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
He's an assassin with a code of honor. Suuuuure. Isn't a paid hitman with honor a contradiction? Because it makes a good assassin to wake his target up before he fights him to the death. Well he may do that now because he's in his heyday and doesn't give a ****. In fact he would be looking for a worthy opponent, but that doesn't matter. Why?
Who said origins to feature outright murder. Challenge maps are not part of the story. The story could stay untouched. Deathstroke as he is in the story can stay untouched. Deathstoke, ehm sorry reskinned robin could have had something going for him if not being an actual super-villain and instead being something like a batman that makes exceptions to his rules fact remains fact. Some animations just for him would have been good.

Also it would not be absolutely new that murder would happen in an Arkham game... *cough* spoilers *cough* some people from the previous games...well games that came before this one don't make it *cough*. They also didn't suffer accident's *cought* one was actually stabbed *cough*

Also I can watch whatever the **** I want. You were not the first person that informed me about the tv show arrow and I probably would have ended up watching it anyway if I had torn through it's IMDB page and found out that there is a Deathstroke there. Also I don't use this forum as my facebook page so you won't even know I am watching it. So keep your elitism to... well you know.

Also quick question does the Joker's "happy gas" merely put you in a coma after making you laugh and have your face stuck in a constant smile or does it kill you by making you laugh to death?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you Synth? Because you sound like you're off your meds.

Note to self: Laughing gas that kills you is the same as "When I said killing I meant snapping necks, drawing some blood, aiming for the eyes and various other vital organs doesn't he also have a pistol on him?... use that. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom