ASUS N7800 GT DUAL - 7800 SLI on a SINGLE CARD

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A trend is starting with dual chip cards with nvidia partners. I belive asus worked on a dual 6800gt that never got to retail that was shown at a few tech events. And, of course, Gigabyte has retailed a dual chip 6600gt card (otherwise known as 3d1).

It's rather interesting to see such hardware come out, I'm sure though not many of us will get the chance to grasp one in our hands.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. ATI's latest Catalyst drivers also have a feature where it can now make two ATI graphics cards in the same machine work cooperatively, for super horsepower. Seems to be a new trend.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, "SLI"-ing cards is way in due to the high requirements for new games (for highest quality)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still cant believe people pay $500... twice... just to play computer games. For that much money I expect to be able to build a computer, not just get its GPU.

I guess if they can sell these cards for so much money, go them, but youll not catch me spending more than $300 on a graphics card.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
I still cant believe people pay $500... twice... just to play computer games. For that much money I expect to be able to build a computer, not just get its GPU.

I guess if they can sell these cards for so much money, go them, but youll not catch me spending more than $300 on a graphics card.
Some of us junkies out there like our games at a high res, all the effects on high and with aa and af turned on.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
Some of us junkies out there like our games at a high res, all the effects on high and with aa and af turned on.

Yeah, I want my games to look the best they can.

Best answers
Theres a trend going on here... Repeat of SLI from the Voodoo 2, More than one Graphics chip on a board, Ati Rage Fury Maxx anyone? or maybe even the voodoo 5 with its multiple VSA100 cores capable of having 32 processors on board addressing 32gigs of ram?
I am glad Gigabyte and Asus are bringing out cards that are 'unique' and different. ^.^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Speaking of which, Gigabyte has a motherboard capable of supporting 4x nVidia cards with 8 lanes for each card. Not only that, but nVidia's next driver release will be supporting 4 nVidia cards in SLI ;). So, you can use two of these dual cards if you wish, but it'll have some performance loss without the bridge.

Best answers
Well, If I am correct the 70 series of drivers, you didnt have to have the bridge, which was good, allowed you to spend less on a board and more on a graphics set-up. And yes there is a 4x and indeed 6x setup. But you can only use a maximum of 2 cards at a time because of the drvers... but still good for some surround gaming (Parhelia anyone?)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
Well, If I am correct the 70 series of drivers, you didnt have to have the bridge, which was good, allowed you to spend less on a board and more on a graphics set-up.
Not really...?
And yes there is a 4x and indeed 6x setup. But you can only use a maximum of 2 cards at a time because of the drvers... but still good for some surround gaming (Parhelia anyone?)
Which is why I said the next released would allow more ;).

Best answers
Well I went down to the local computer shop, and they said I would have to buy a bridge chip seperate. I'm not sure if thats accurate? - Meh. Ebay has become my friend ^.^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bridges usually come with the mobo... so, meh.

Best answers
I think this exact same card was in the November issue of Maximum PC, and they gave it a 9/10 i think and a Kick ass rating also. I'd get it because my mobo only has 1 PCIe x16 slot and I want SLI performance in my rig.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I think this exact same card was in the November issue of Maximum PC, and they gave it a 9/10 i think and a Kick ass rating also. I'd get it because my mobo only has 1 PCIe x16 slot and I want SLI performance in my rig.
Uhh..... You have to have an SLI board for it to be detected properly, that's what the gigabyte 3D1 required (also could only be used with certain gigabyte mainboards). Basically the system treats the card as if it were two 7800 cards.

Best answers
****, thats right, i completely forgot. Damn, that means that I have to buy a new mobo if I want SLi or Crossfire. I guess I just have to wait then, thanks for the wake up call, Overlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom