Any recommendation on what GPU to get?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I decided I'm just gonna get a new PSU right now :\ I don't want to have AMD haha, I think it'd be a better idea to wait for the new 6xx series cards, right now I don't even NEED a new GPU, just feel like upgrading. I'll live until the new 6xx series come out :p Not like my 5770 can't handle gaming. It's actually a nice card, and will work for now

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Do what I do. If you really feel like spending some money concentrare on immersion-orientated peripherals. Try things like the Zalman FPS gun and stuff. Maybe get a 3D kit or a Logitech/Fanatec steering wheel. Razor have recently released a Wii-like peripheral for the PC with motion-controllers. I have just recently started xploring this field myself because I feel the only thing left that is keeping me shut out of the games is because I have to play them with a keyboard and mouse.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do what I do. If you really feel like spending some money concentrare on immersion-orientated peripherals. Try things like the Zalman FPS gun and stuff. Maybe get a 3D kit or a Logitech/Fanatec steering wheel. Razor have recently released a Wii-like peripheral for the PC with motion-controllers. I have just recently started xploring this field myself because I feel the only thing left that is keeping me shut out of the games is because I have to play them with a keyboard and mouse.
All that stuff sounds dumb

The point of PC Gaming is the mouse and keyboard. Console gaming is the realm of peripherals such as light guns and motion controls

The exception is a steering wheel but even that's better on a console

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
All that stuff sounds dumb

The point of PC Gaming is the mouse and keyboard. Console gaming is the realm of peripherals such as light guns and motion controls

The exception is a steering wheel but even that's better on a console
I don't agree. The point of PC gaming is its versatility while for a console is accesability. Graphics are definitely better on a PC and I find that the gameplay is generally more immersive. Peripherals for a PC are less xpensive because they are not xclusively made by some pompous brand that tries to make console peripherals sound 1-of-a-kind. Take the Zalman FPS Gun for eg. at £30 is not bad and I am having quite some fun with it. The others I mentioned are just xamples of whats out there. There is also this amazing glove called Peregrine (check it out here http://theperegrine.com/) with over 30 contact points all fully customizable. Show me what console supports any of the peripherals shown here: http://www.vrealities.com/
My Computer Systems lecturer at Uni came in one day with 1 of these: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2008/02/22/g...ller-gets-a-pistol-grip-starts-to-make-sense/
Needless to say the xperience was ****IN' amazing!

And I am sorry but saying a Steering Wheel peripheral is better on a console is completely crap because until a few months back the Xbox didn't even have a wheel with a H Shifter and Clutch support available. Lucky for the PS3 that the G25&G27 are compatible with it but even so I would much rather hook my PC up to 3 monitors (if I had 3) and play in complete awe, while such a feat is nearly impossible to do on a console.

Correction: The Xbox always had the Fanatec wheels. My bad. Regardless I haven't heard of many people playing with them on the Xbox probably because of the prices.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still stand by my comment

I'd rather sit on the floor in a steering wheel chair then trying and use one at a desk. PC's aren't meant to be used with TV's a monitor at a desk is how they're designed to be used. Consoles are ruining PC gaming.

You say PC peripherals and over branded and expensive, so are consoles they are no different.

PC gaming is Keyboard and Mouse

Edit http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/04/02/new-xbox-360-chrome-series-controllers-coming-mid-may my point about cost proven

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
You say PC peripherals and over branded and expensive, so are consoles they are no different.

PC gaming is Keyboard and Mouse
No no no. I said Console peripherals are overbranded and xpensive in contrast to PC ones which are cheaper. ( I have edited the sentence to clarify better)
Peripherals for a PC are less xpensive because they are not xclusively made by some pompous brand that tries to make console peripherals sound 1-of-a-kind.
Ok, Keyboard and Mouse until when?
We have been limited by these for quite a while now. I don't feel immersed swinging a sword when playing a 3rd person RPG by clicking the left mouse button. Consoles are no better either. Only Kinect shows some serious potential but nothing breaks immersion more than when you try to mimic a certain motion and it gets misinterpreted and I don't feel the price reflects on its performance considering only dedicated games can use it, however I did have a presentation from a Year 3 Computer Systems guy at my Uni which bought a Kinect and hooked it up to a PC and recoded it and it was very much like Minority Report :D. He got a contract with a company called Nvision to develop this further.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No no no. I said Console peripherals are overbranded and xpensive in contrast to PC ones which are cheaper. ( I have edited the sentence to clarify better)

Ok, Keyboard and Mouse until when?
We have been limited by these for quite a while now. I don't feel immersed swinging a sword when playing a 3rd person RPG by clicking the left mouse button. Consoles are no better either. Only Kinect shows some serious potential but nothing breaks immersion more than when you try to mimic a certain motion and it gets misinterpreted.
I feel plenty immersed when playing PC games. I'm more about story and good game play though.

Kinect had potential but it's never used. I would still rather use a normal controller. My lounge room is too small for it anyway, Who really has that big of a space in their normal lounge room.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Z Power:

Your video is bull****. The Batman games were sponsored by Nvidia, and so obviously the studio chose to code things in accordance with physx rather than use the far superior core count of AMD technology.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Z Power:

Your video is bull****. The Batman games were sponsored by Nvidia, and so obviously the studio chose to code things in accordance with physx rather than use the far superior core count of AMD technology.
There were a bunch of games displayed in the vid not just Batman. And I am glad Nvidia sponsored the Batman games otherwise we would have never seen what a marvel Physx brings to the table when highly implemented in a game. Quantity does not = quality.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All those games, to my knowledge, were sponsored by Nvidia...

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nVidia would ask for things to be coded to only work with a physx processor.

Doesn't mean physx doesn't do anything.

PS, I'm a nVidia fan boy

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All it added was extra rubble and visual aesthetics to the scene. I don't see how it is such a big deal.

And Avenger, if a game even has PhysX, its because Nvidia sponsored it. I wasn't trying to say they are greater, just showing what PhysX does.

Again, not worth it just to get a Nvidia card just for PhysX. Not yet anyway.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'd think with a name like physx it would do something with physics like help with euphoria

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know right. I think its mainly because they don't want to create too much of a difference between AMD and Nvidia users.

I wish both of them would come to an intermediate solution already. Or just pay Havok to go all out for its tech.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
All it added was extra rubble and visual aesthetics to the scene. I don't see how it is such a big deal.

And Avenger, if a game even has PhysX, its because Nvidia sponsored it. I wasn't trying to say they are greater, just showing what PhysX does.

Again, not worth it just to get a Nvidia card just for PhysX. Not yet anyway.
Don't you feel that if you pay a sum of money for a product (ATI) which is close to, or similar to the price of another product (Nvidia) which offers more for the price, justifies buying it?

Isn't it desirable that instead of coding animation for some water, instead tell the engine it is water, act like it and thats that? ( I know I'm simplifying the process but you get the idea)

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish both of them would come to an intermediate solution already. Or just pay Havok to go all out for its tech.
It would be nice if nvidia slipped a note under AMD's door. Havok haven't done much lately

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't you feel that if you pay a sum of money for a product (ATI) which is close to, or similar to the price of another product (Nvidia) which offers more for the price, justifies buying it?

Isn't it desirable that instead of coding animation for some water, instead tell the engine it is water, act like it and thats that? ( I know I'm simplifying the process but you get the idea)
You probably know but the cost of using PhysX on a single card is reduced FPS. So that means for most medium to high ranged Nvidia cards, you will practically never use PhysX as it'll slowdown your game more than you might like. You are then better off getting another lower end card just so you can get both the PhysX and the FPS. That might actually end up costing more. If you've got money to spend, however, then yeah, PhysX is a good incentive to go the Nvidia route.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they had run the "physics" stuff that PhysX does on a modern CPU, the modern CPU (that's right, you wouldn't even need to run it on your graphics card) would kick its ass. It's just a fancy name for an inferior product marketed by a corporation with a whole ton of cash.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger, you touch my cpu with your physics every time I read your sexy posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom