Any recommendation on what GPU to get?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd hold off 3 months.

The NVIDIA 6xx series is coming out, and the AMD 7xxx series is being more fleshed out.

This will force prices down, massively.

Places are already selling GTX580's for as low as 380$, previously 500$. That was within just like two weeks of performance leaks of the 680.

Ohh, found one for 360$ with a modded cooler, even.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na&AID=10521304&PID=4003003&SID=o3jxk47grsar

Now that's a card. Galaxy is basically BFG. Who knows? Given a few more months, prices could have these down to the 300$ range or so.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, the one I posted above is far better and 10$ more!

It also has custom cooling VS stock.

IF you're willing to pay 350$ for that, get the 580!

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
woops! didn't notice the rebate, alright! I'm definitely saving up for that one! :) I'm probably not going to be able to afford it for 2-3 months anyways, but whoo! that card is smexy.

Think a 600watt PSU will be able to handle it? I hope so, but I doubt it D:

Okay, seems I'm gonna be getting a brand new PSU along with it :) Thanks a ton for the reference, that card is very nice....I just hope it can run ESF:F.... lol

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on the PSU, but 600w would be enough if it was quality.

And that's good, and of course it'll run ESF:F

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm going to be upgrading to an 800w PSU just to be safe, and just use my old PSU for the next PC I build, thanks again for the info Mkil.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Make sure your case is also big enough as that is a huge card!

Card Dimensions
11.5" x 4.5" x 2.5" aka 30.5x11.5x6.5cm

I had to upgrade my case when I moved from 9800GT to a 560 Ti

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Okay, so I learned butt **** loads about computer components these last couple weeks lol.

My PSU has four low wattage 12V rails (3 at 216W, 1 at 240W) and just a GTX570 will eat up over 300w, much less the 580 using 351. So instead of dishing out a heap of cash to up my PSU, and GPU, I decided I would look at some AMD cards, and compare the performance/watt usage.

I found out the 7850 has very near gtx570 performance, but only uses about 200w at full load. That, and it's 250$! So, decided that I'll go with an AMD card.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Why not get a better PSU? Unlike the GPU, it will last for ages.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I actually am next month :p Just decided to go with AMD because....well..not too much difference as far as I can see, except the AMD card is cheaper, stays cooler (even on benchmarking tests it doesn't go above 60c) uses waaaay less power, and right now, spending limit is about 320, and I could upgrade my RAM With the money I save, and still have enough left over to put away for better PSU.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I actually am next month :p Just decided to go with AMD because....well..not too much difference as far as I can see, except the AMD card is cheaper, stays cooler (even on benchmarking tests it doesn't go above 60c) uses waaaay less power, and right now, spending limit is about 320, and I could upgrade my RAM With the money I save, and still have enough left over to put away for better PSU.
Keep in mind an ATI card doesn't have a dedicated Physics processor on the card so you won't get the same goodies in games like Batman AA/AC for eg. :p

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
PhysX is mainly for aesthetics right now, and only feasible if you have an old Nvidia card lying around. Otherwise it isn't really worth it to get an Nvidia card just for PhysX.

Red Saiyan Mod
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
PhysX takes a huge load off the CPU. It supports features such as rigid body dynamics, soft body dynamics, ragdolls and character controllers, vehicle dynamics, volumetric fluid simulation and cloth simulation including tearing and pressurized cloth.
PhysX technology is used by the game engines Unreal Engine 3, Unity 3D, Gamebryo, Vision, Instinct, Diesel, Torque, Hero and BigWorld and is the physics platform of more than 300 video games.
And since Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia, they basically own the PhysX technology. ForceWare drivers disable PhysX hardware acceleration if a GPU from a different manufacturer, such as AMD, is present in the system.
So anyone running ATi/AMD cards are severely crippled. This lead to quite a few complaints as you can imagine, and subsequent patches (for each game) had to be released to resolve this issue.

For more information on PhysX check out the wiki link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;-x9B_4qBAkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9B_4qBAkk[/video]

Thats 1000^1000 words right there.

Discord Member
Best answers
honestly you should just wait til the next generation cards start coming out. 6xx series and other massive ones. heck 680 is only supposed to b the new mid range and its selling as the highest right now. just watch what happens when they come out with their new high end cards. all these other card prices will go down a lot.

buy any who radeon hd 4870 is AMAZING for its price. heck 2 of these would b cheaper than most of the cards mentioned here and still cost less. only prob is no physx and only supports up to directx 10.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom