Aborting a beam struggle

Best answers
I had this idea where double-tapping a direction on the keyboard would make the player attempt to exit a beam stuggle at the cost of KI and/or health.

Aborting a struggle from the sides, top or bottom:
Double tapping: Stafe left, stafe right, jump or duck.

Two players are locked in a beam struggle where each player launched their own beam into the fray. One player is clearly losing, and after assessing the situation, he/she deems it best to abort the stuggle, at a cost of getting nicked on the way out. By double-tapping a direction on the keyboard, they cancel their beam and end up in a full swoop at a loss of KI. I would suggest giving the player who didn't abort the struggle back control of their attack, being able to send it back to their opponent as they flee, although this can definately be changed if the staff insist.

In the case that the player has almost lost the stuggle, and the beams are meeting right in front of their nose, the player can attempt to "roll off" the beam and take crushing damage by using the same controls described above, although the player could take massive damage as a result, especially if the player cancels the struggle close to a wall.

If the beam struggle was aborted at close range, the beam could careen off at a slight angle in the opposite direction of the player's escape (so if the player double-tapped left, the attack would be knocked slightly back and to the right).

Aborting a struggle without side movement:
Double tapping: Back.

A player can at any time double-tap in backwards motion to cancel the struggle (draining KI) and ending up moving backwards in swoop. If the beam catches up before the player can move out of the way (and the player blocks), the beam struggle ensues and the player has lost ground. If the player doesn't block, the attack explodes as it normally would.

Pushing a beam struggle:
Double tapping: Forward.

Now, I would like to share a bi-product of this system. If the player double-taps forward while in a struggle, they will slowly move forward, pushing the beam struggle with them (and as a result, their opponent would be pushed back). Doing this would drain KI at least twice as quickly than otherwise, and would be designed so that it actually wastes more KI than it is worth. The reason for this would be to make it so that players can try to use their surroundings to trap a player up against a wall, etc. and finish the struggle with haste. An option would be to make a pushing player take crushing damage partial to the ammount one would take when cornered up against a wall. If both sides try to do this, then the struggle's movement will be relative to each side's power level.

In the case that a player does this in a block struggle (where one player is blocking another player's beam), the blocking player can push into a beam struggle in order to stop themselves from falling back, but will take full crushing damage as if they were trapped up against a wall. If their power level is great enough, they can close in on their assailant and turn the block struggle into a melee struggle (when the time comes that the melee struggle will be implemented). Until it is implemented, the countered attacker could just be sent flying backwards or something.

Comments and criticism are welcome, and I'll be glad to hear what people think of this! =0P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They sound like decent Idea's both certainley have potential. I'd say it worth putting it in, but it would need to be tested first. It sounds great on paper, but there are tons of things that can go wrong in the actual game. Good idea, you've got my support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom