A question for all about happiness.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I came up with this question a while ago and recently starting asking people. It's a good stump.

What would you rather have?

Option 1: Live your world in a complete lie. Everything you know and interact with is set up to lie to you to make you achieve happiness. Your husband/wife? Pretending. The instance you're out of sight they go back to being themselves. The catch is, you'll be 100% happy all the time, but literally everything you do is a lie. No truth whatsoever, and there's a small chance of finding out.

-or-

Option 2: Would you rather know the truth to everything you chose to know, or rather be able to find the truth but only achieve 30% happiness as max.

The thing here is, if you think about it, it'd suck having everything you interact with being false, but you wouldn't know any better.

If you put things into perspective, option 1 seems like a sweet deal, but it also seems like that's the druggies way out. Consistently do drugs to stay happy all the time.

just wondering, what would you guys want?

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't comprehend how a person could be one hundred percent happy with a completely false life. It reminds me a bit of nihilism. Falseness and happiness just don't seem to go together.

I wouldn't choose either option, I would then be limiting myself to someone else's perception of life, and I cannot do that.

G
Ignorance is bliss, I do understand the first option could work, although it deals in an impossible circumstance. It also assumes that my perfect life involves a partner and child.

But I'd go with the second one. I can't stand the idea of not understanding the world around me. After all, to fall for the ignorance is bliss trap you really have to be apathetic.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about option 3?
We live life like we do now, have the opportunity to seek truth if we want to find it knowing full well it may not make us happy.

Out of those two though I'd say number 2.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could never choose a world in which people only pretend to like me.

Best answers
Yeah, if you don't know it's a lie, then I rather be 100% happy.
But if you know everyone's lies, then, I prefer knowing the thruth.

Best answers
if it were all set up for me to achive happiness, and i found out i would **** the system, my dream is to one day become a rock star of at least, semi epic proportions, so id be getting gigs fake fans BUYING MY **** and a fat bank account, and since i knew it was fake i would just play music for me because i care about it and its what i want to do with life, so id knwo if i sucked or not and i would only be satisfied when i did everything i wanted to do , i dont care if the pl are fake as long as they do that **** for me. then im good, and i can die happy also knwoing that **** loads of ppl waited hand and foot on me my whole life and gave me everything i desired.
and i didn't even have to ask. that would be awesome.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are both impossible options to happen in real life. No one is blind enough to live in a 100% false world. And you can't know the truth about everything you want to know. So if they are both impossible circunstances, how could I know wich I would prefeer if not even one person in the world experienced it?

Even so I think I would prefeer living 100% happy. Happiness is the reason of wanting to live. Being 30% happy would make me 70% frustrated, and frustration is very bad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, changed it a little, that there was a small chance you'd figure out that everything was a lie.

Also, yes, of course it's impossible, that's why i'm asking, if you COULD do it.

I think I'd go for option 1, because my goal in life is to be just happy.

but the trick is, if you found out everything you know is a lie, it would probably ****ing destroy you.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there was a small chance to figure it out, then I would prefeer option 2. Living 100% and sudenly know the truth about everything would make me 100% unhappy, so I like the 30% better :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Being happy is irrelevant. I'd rather achieve something worthwhile with my life and be miserable and alone, than happy doing **** all and be completely oblivious to everything.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing is, you wouldn't know they are pretending.
No, I wouldn't know they are pretending, but right now as I am choosing I know and I couldn't choose to let me future self live in a world where everything is a lie (ignorance be damned).

Of course, the irony of the situation is that the world we are living in right now may damn well be a lie (ie: For all we know, we're in the matrix), but I didn't have a choice in that of course =)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
30% happiness. I would not dare subjugate myself to being used and lied to for the rest of my life, even if I thought it was heaven.

Best answers
noone herd what i said about using it to your advantage?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doing everything correctly with no problems at all = borring life. And would probably end in 2 ways.

Suicide or nervous breakdown.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll go for option 2.
Better to be 30% happy instead of 100% happy living in a false world or 100% happy and after that 100% miserable.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The happiness you experience in this scenario is the result of the environment, rather than something that's inherent?

I'd go with option 2, but I don't doubt that that if I was living the former, I wouldn't be quick to "leave" if I was given the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom