3DS Max Middle-Mouse pan in Windows 7

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, I've upgraded to a much better machine to work on, one with Windows 7 64 bit, and I've been loving it. Settled in nicely.

I have Max 2009 all nice and installed, and with all the PC's ample power, it runs like a dream.

However, I have a problem in the middle mouse button. I, like most Max users I'm guessing, prefer to navigate the viewports with rotate selected, left click rotating, middle-mouse scroll zooming, and middle mouse button panning. It's easy and stays out of my way.

However, Windows 7 tends to have other ideas when it comes to the Middle-mouse button. In most programs, it likes to use it as the "flip", to switch windows on the fly in the same way one might change suit powers in Crysis or something. This makes browsing the net difficult because I can't click it and pull down the mouse to scroll down like I'd usually do, but most of all, the pan function in Max is similarly eliminated.

Surely with Windows 7 having been around for as many months, there's been a way found around this? And if there has, I'm sure you Windows 7 using Max users have implemented it. Would you mind letting me in on the secret?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use Windows 7 and that never happens to me. Did you accidentally enable something that makes it do that?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aha! That did it!

See, I use a wireless mouse, and the drivers installed included a program for the mouse. It allowed you to have different functions bound to the buttons for specific programs if you wanted, but for some stupid reason it decided the Windows 7 "flip" function ought to be the default of the middle click, instead of the self-explanatory MIDDLE CLICK option for the MIDDLE BUTTON.

Swapped that out, and now I can navigate Max unhindered, as well as the web.

Wow, I feel so damn liberated...I officially miss NOTHING about my old Windows XP machine anymore...

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom