3 Awesome Metroid Games You've Never Heard Of

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1 hack, 2 fan creations.

So yeah, I've just randomly stumbled over this stuff in the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately, only one is playable right now :p

1. Super metroid: Redesign: http://drewseph.zophar.net/ This is a hack that requires the JU version of the Super Metroid rom. Reccomend using the latest version of SNES9X or ZSNES. This is basically a complete remap of super metroid, so it's like a new game. Everything is much much harder. Enemies do more damage and have more life, weapon upgrades give fewer missiles, super missiles, etc, there are some changes to physics, and the game is bloody huge. Really awesome for ppl who have played the original into the ground. Especially since most of the old bonus tricks and glitches are now required parts of the game. That and it has some rather difficult sections wherin you need to do things like race through a section of norfair without varia suit, or have to traverse a large underwater section without the gravity suit. Fun times.

2. Project AM2R: http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/ A legit 1:1 remake of Metroid 2. Don't know much about it yet.

Metroid: SR388: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/vonrichter/metroid-sr388-trailer-82877.phtml Appears to be an expanded remake of Metroid 2 with a lot of added content. Just released a trailer. Looks bloody awesome.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've played the first. It can be pretty tough without a guide, though the only part I really had enough problems to consult one is the so-called Hell's Run through Norfair. All I can say is this: When you get to points where enemies spawn, kill them for energy, and wait for more to respawn else you'll never make it. Still pretty awesome. I'm going to check out the other two :O

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah I got through hell's run. Used a guide to make sure I actually had enough HP to do it :p Right now working my way through maridia. Lots of long falls.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm still in the process of completing Super Metroid.

Man is this a spectacular game.

The soundtrack is brilliant, and I'm loving the game thus far.

But until I complete it, I'm not touching any of the other installments.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never played Metroid before but can I ask whats so great/fun about it?
The original 3 were great because they were good side scrolling action and adventure games. Just download an emu and play through at the least, super metroid. You'll see why it's so great.

Best answers
i still have my orginal Super metroid Cart (the super metroid/ Link to the past pack) but not the snes anymore :<. my Run time on super was 2h 30m i also got Fusion to 2 hours 1 minute start to finish. the remakes of Metroid 2 i am not so sure of since i still remember the original they are making it look more like zebes than SR.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have fusion to blame for that once since it looks like he has ripped the sprites from there to base his SR on.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well to be fair, it's pretty hard to tell what SR388 is supposed to look like what with it being gameboy and all. That and it's one guy and an editing program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom