100% CPU Usage??

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone know why my CPU usage is 100% when all I have running in the background are 36 processes, MSN, and one internet explorer window?

Best answers
If you have 2k or up, you should be able to tell what's wrong running and how much CPU resources each thing is taking. My guess is some crashed program or something. Why not just restart?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, 36 processes running? I think you really need to take care of your computer...

Right, some of those processes are one of the following:
Spyware
Crashed programs
Viri

My personal suggestion is that you format. I have a feeling you don't format very often...

I usually have 19 processes running with 0% - 3% CPU usage.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
If you have 2k or up, you should be able to tell what's wrong running and how much CPU resources each thing is taking. My guess is some crashed program or something. Why not just restart?
Yea, it's explorer.exe using all the resources. And I did restart, but explorer.exe was still using all 100%...
Optional said:
My personal suggestion is that you format. I have a feeling you don't format very often...
Naw, I've formatted within the past 2 months.

Best answers
sounds like a virus, or some type of trojan/ie exploit/explorer bug/or a type of spyware/adware.

Best answers
Um, you're running a butt-ass version of Windows, heh. I know Windows XP's explorer.exe is a bit of a hog, but.. damn. Yeah. I say you got some funky sort of virus. I'd format or something. That's obscene. o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Run a full system scan with your latest virus definitions. and run a ad/spyware detector program. while doing this, close all files such as inet explorer, p2p programs, and such. if it comes back with a virus such as a trojan like previous statement by tsunami, then my suggestion is reformatting. if its a normal virus, just follow the neccessary steps to get rid of them. just a suggestion

Best answers
or, if your using a ant-virus app such as mcafee or norton, there's your answer.

Best answers
It's either a virus or spyware that embedded itself into explorer.exe. If you have AV software run it, then see. Get AdAware and run that. If still 100%, format the bastard.

EDIT: blah already suggested, guess I should read the whole thread

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had something simlar happen to me when i was still using my p233mmx com using 128mb sd pc133 memory (only read has half in the board coz the pin amounts were different as most people would know) i used to use irc and so to get anime eps and so on. I HATE DALNET!!!!!! someone used a spyware and spawing tools i think (i notice that xp came up with sayying one of my page files was deleted) maybe if u use irc someone may have been runnig tools and modified some of your exacuteables (i don't like thinking of times like this one but meh) i haven't used any p2p programs for a while . is there any scripts or something to stop people using backdoors and so on . i remeber also when i was using my guest com (p2400,128bm pc100memory) that norton internet secuity came up with a hack alert sayying that some1 was tryying to hack me , the ip was logged and so on, (it's a god send i don't have cable still in a way , but i miss fast speeds) but i am curious to find out if there is a script or any good programs besides norton to block hack crap from irc

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That happened to me on my last computer all the time. Try restarting... some of the time it should be normal CPU usage, other times it will be 100%. I think it's more of a hardware configuration error than any kind of virus or spyware. I never did get it fixed.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
On XP, you can bust out the task manager, click the processes tab, right-click explorer.exe -> end process (not end process tree, that unloads EVERYTHING attached). Then, still in task manager, click File-> New Task (Run...) -> and enter "explorer" then click OK.

It restarts explorer.exe and reloads everything that your computer would normally load when windows starts up.

I do it when my computer feels slow, or after it's been on for a 4-5 days. It effectively restarts your computer without really restarting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom