Don't change Blocking: I found a way around the annoying Block Spammers

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know if anyone else knows this but I think blocks are directional. Cause I realized that I was getting meleed from behind a lot even while I was blocking....

I only mention this cause I read some kid in these forums whining and askign that block have limitations put on it.

Bottom line is when designing a mod, you have to take into consideration the level of player integrity your audience has. Half-Life players have next to none, and 12 year old Dragonball Z fans who make irrelevent requests for a Brolli mode and Fusion to be realistic moves in a computer game where such things clearly are not the primary concern don't have much integrity as gamers either.

Not to criticize, but I hope the mod developers here understand that they did an excellent job with this game, especially in the balance department. And the blocking is no exception: it balances the melee combat engine out very well, I think. And I am a professional designer myself.

I have to say, as long as I"m here...props to the dev team for making the ONLY Dragonball Z-based game (mod or otherwise) that is any good and captures any of the feel of the show. This is the only one. Funimation should buy this mod and pay you all thousands of dollars for the rights, because it would sell. Big time. Trust me.

Well in any case, back to my original point. I'm not really sure if it works that way, but if it doesn't I think that would be a much better solution to block-whoring.

Although personally, I think everyone should stop running to forums and *****ing every time they play a game with some jerk who exploits the features. There are gonna be people who are young, arrogant, or stupid, who play games just to win.

Fortunately, we have here a very revolutionary game, where the kill count doesn't matter so much as gathering the strength to own the server full of people...and the only way to do that is to play the game, power struggle, block struggle, and melee.

So in an odd way, it has this great looping gameplay, something that I don't think enough of us appreciate.

Well, in any case. Good job team, and remember everyone: get that ******* who's whoring on block from behind and see if it works!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah u can just go around to the back and hit people

Best answers
true true. I was waiting for someone to igure that out. I find a few people who actually know melee, but the others are pissed they can't do real damage by charging you and getting smashed

Best answers
i just swoop in . if i realise they are in block mode around half way of the swoop i stop swooping and teleport somewhere where they wont expect and abit close 2 them and swoop again and hit em.

Best answers
This takes timing but I found that if you melee a blocker and (timed right) teleport u can get outta harms way before the blocker can hit you and just swoop back in for the hit.....try it and tell me how it goes....works for me :laff:

Mystic-ROsHI

M
Believe Altron... he does it all the time..... ARGH!!!:\

it works... at first i thought he was running, so i was like **** it and melee'd after him, he just came back and rammed me to the wall. POOR krillin! it hurts badly when they trick you like that IT REALLY DOES DO THE TRICK!! o_o

Best answers
it does work sometimes altron but its very very predictable nearly every1 does that

Best answers
Yeah, you guys here have made a great mod and you can REALLY recreate things from the show which makes it even better for fans. However like most things, you guys just give us the capability, it's up to us as to how to utilize what you've given us to the fullest potential possible (well...w/limits of bugs included of course lol)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that there are 2 other directions you can hit someone from to take even if they're blocking. That's straight from above, and straight from below. You cannot be at an angle to do these.

Also the teleport thing does work, but you have to take it to a little farther. I was meleeing w/my friend, and he was hurtin me pretty bad and blocking quite a bit, so I remembered a few eps of DBZ w/blocking and teleporting and such. So similar to what Altron said, I would do this: Swoop + melee + teleport, except I would do that until: 1.) I nailed him so I could either do a finisher, or charge my ki or 2.) I messed it up and lost all my ki and he'd hit me again lol

So it's all pretty fairly balanced, and the method above just really recreates the feeling of the show IMHO, especially w/the sprite effect they used when hit w/melee. Speaking of that, great job on making it ESF team!

Best answers
People have been saying this for about a week now. It took me about 2 mins to notice myslf getting kicked in the back. That's why I said to look at your SCOUTER to se the people swooping in from behind.

The melee system is perfect how it is except for the lack of struggling i think. It's extremely balanced. People just need to realize you have to utilize teleporting, swooping, STOP swooping, blocking etc all into it. I thought today that melee in this is just like shooting a rocket at someone, but the player is the rocket and you have more control over the rocket.
If you shoot the rocket and the target jumps behind a brick wall (blocks) then you are gonna be standing there ready to get hit, so move straight away or you're done for.

Best answers
if im in the middle of a block vs swoop fight and im the one blocking if some1 hits me and teleports out of my sight i just teleport away to give me time to see where he is. caus the scouter doesnt say if hes above u or below u and it will take 2 long to use scouter to find out where he is.

Best answers
Originally posted by eaz135
i just swoop in . if i realise they are in block mode around half way of the swoop i stop swooping and teleport somewhere where they wont expect and abit close 2 them and swoop again and hit em.
Oo its u eaz, seriosly u guys have gotta vs him he is so ****ing good with melee he can take 3 ppl on at once and still come out on top!!

Best person I've come up against so far!

..Styles..

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, It's getting harder to kill you guys :p

We really should have added to the manual that you can only block 100 degrees infront of you.

*sticks*

Best answers
its the best when u just chuck a disc at some1 who is blocking or at some1 who is swooping in :D

Best answers
I'm going to have to stop playing...ppl stealing my tactics :p Good thing I'm multi-tactided O_O

Best answers
There are many tactics i have found that work good against blockers.

1. Dont give em the change to block, even if ur 5 teleport jumps away u can telport 5 tims and then just smack em in under 1/2 a second, most people cant react to that. U dont need to use swoop to melee, offspring owned me a few times with that tactic.

2. Another is to fake them out with a tele,most people know how to block people that tele behind or above ect. (just tele away when u see some one tele, its not that hard.) All u do i tele behind them then back out front then swoop. Most people hear the first tele and tele away, but because u have teled back to ur origanal location u can see exactly where they go and just swoop smack.

3. Ok final tactic is to swoop, then tele back recharge, swoop, then tele back recharge. Eventually the person will run out of energy blocking, and even if u run out before him ur a full tele jump away and can just block him.

Well those are just my hints on beating block whores

Mystic-ROsHI

M
Its easier said than done, if you see the person blocking dont attack try getting around it by the time your trying to figure out how to hit him... he will eventually get in-patient and try to attack you... thats when you beat his ass.. i love doing that!O_O

Best answers
Try this.
When facing someone and u realise they're blocking, turn 180 so ure facing away from them. Then just teleport backwards a few times until theyre in front of u and swoop em in da back.

Another thing.. i made a thread 4 this but i dont think anyone answered. The when u're near the edge of a map the whole map screwes up and dissappears. Thats because the camera goes into the sky brush. If you make a clip brush a few units inside the sky to block the camera from going through the sky, it fixes it. Please redo the maps like this, it makes it easier to see from the edge of maps.

QSD

Best answers
why hit a blocker from behind? if ur pl is big enuff u hit through his block, did that much times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom