Admin Mod FAQ

Best answers
Originally posted by Anti
Good news all...
I went thru the trouble Of figuring this out...comp froze 2 or 3 times but I finally got it. Heres how its done.

FIRST: Install adminmod as usual. Make sure you liblist.gam file has this line...

gamedll "addons\metamod\dlls\metamod.dll"

NEXT: make sure ESF-Bot.dll is in your /dlls/ folder in your esf directory. Now, add this line to AUTOEXEC.CFG ...

localinfo mm_gamedll dlls/ESF-Bot.dll

now simply load your game and addbots to your hearts content.

DO NOT edit the command line in your esf shortcut. DOING THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR GAME TO FREEZE. It will freeze before the metamod display shows while loading your server.

This worked for me, If it doesn't work for you then your S.O.L., I dont wanna crash my comp any more tryin to figure it out lol. I even tested it out by adding bots then admin_kicking them from my server and it worked fine, and the server didnt crash for the time I had it up. Good luck
############ Update 3-2-03 ############

WWW.ADMINMOD.ORG <-- LOOK, HERE IS THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION OF ADMIN MOD. RIGHT HERE, HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE IT.

The tutorial for admin-mod is down and will remain down. I will not
write another one. For some reason, you people just don't understand what a sticky is for, use it, don't make more threads. . With the release of 1.1, admin-mod will NOT work.

As for getting bots to work - someone managed to figure it out! Thats good news, read the last page if you want to learn how.

If you do what to learn to install Admin-Mod, Private Message Mr. Satan, he is just as knowledgable about it as I am. I don't have enough patience to deal with you people.

############ Update 1-28-03 ############

You can not run ESF-bots with admin mod. But I don't know why I considered trying this when you can not run bots on a dedicated server. I am very dissapointed to the person who asked, clearly you didn't not understand that I did not want a bunch of listen servers installing admin mod. :\ ;/

############ Update 1-24-03 ############

Meta-Mod has been updates. I don't know if this affects ESF (I know it does affect Counter-Strike.) You don't need to replace it if you use just ESF for admin-mod. But metamod has been updated. www.metamod.org to get the updated version.

############ End Update 1-24-03 ############

Okay guys - this thread is for those of you who will be needing help installing Admin Mod. Try to follow the tutorial before comming here.

I'll be in and out mostly - but I've done a pretty good job of stress testing admin-mod with Mastasurf and PCJoe. Hopefully I didn't forget anything in the tutorial or in the adminmodpackage. If I did you can check here for updates.

So ask away!

--------------------- EDIT ----------------------
•Check Mastasurf's Dev Journal Here (For those of you that are cluessless.)
•Click Here for direct link to Tutorial
•Correct Link to download Pre-configured Admin-Mod

############ Update 1-22-03 ############

To support bots place the ESF-Bot.dll into your DLLS folder:
*default*
C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\esf\addons\adminmod\dlls\ESF-bot.dll

Once your ESF-Bot.dll is in the DLL folder, add this line to the shortcut of your ESF link.

C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -game cstrike +localinfo mm_gamedll addons\adminmod\dlls\ESF-bot.dll

Best answers
ok .. cool

first question: (might be really very dumb)

do i need to download metamod first? or does it come automatically with admin mod?

another question:

i only downloaded admin mod. i read a little through the manual but it's too long i didn't read it all. but anyway. i installed admin mod and tried to test it by starting a lan server. but everytime i try to run a server it crashes and quit HL! i didn't edit any of the files (users.ini etc) so they are basically empty.. do i have to pout something in them or is it optional?

Best answers
I wrote a tutorial for a reason, use it.
*note* The adminpackage.zip in the tutorial doesn't link correctly... So just go to mastasurfs news post in the dev journals to find a link to it that works.

Best answers
well i didn't find the tutorial. and i checked mastasurfs' journal just two days ago and there wasn't anything .. so .. sorry :p

and you didn't even say where is that tutorial!!! by the way .. so it's not completly my fault ... o_o

Best answers
ok now .. a serious question:
how can i run the bots with admin mod? i was thinkning about renaming ESF-Bot.dll to hl.dll but that isn't really a smart idea, and i am not sure if it will even work.

Best answers
You can't run bots with admin-mod to my knowledge. At least in ESF.

Best answers
metamod u shoudl beable to run admin mod and a bot at same time but i cant figure it out either

Best answers
ok .. the password file thing in the shortcut " like C:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe -game esf -console -numericpings +exec adminpass.cfg"

if i use this shortcut and enter a server that uses admin mod. is there a chance that the admin of that server will know MY adminmod password?

Best answers
majin n00b why not read the Readme.txt O_O Not to hard now is it...?

Best answers
R@!D3R don't play the wise-dude ...

there is nothing in readme.txt about my question :shocked: O_O :shocked:

Best answers
Thats is a good question Majin Noob, you have reason to worry. I recall there being some forwarning about using a shortcut, I don't think otehrs can figure out your password. But for safest bets I would suggest you do 1 of 2 things:

Option One (More reasonable): Just add in the autoexec.cfg file the setinfo pw home command. This way when you load up it just auto-enters that password.

Option Two (Can be a pain if you don't rename your self.):
Have 2 Names, eg @Cookster and Cookster, use at @Cookster when doing admin-commands and Cookster when just playing. But always remember to name your self Cookster before leaving the game, because if you manually enter the password through console, then change your name to @Cookster, then leave, and once again rejoin, you will still be @Cookster, and it will not let you join because you have not entered the password.

If that makes sense? I suggest Option One :-D.

ALSO - I highly suggest using WONID's rather than Names... Just security risks, although I HIGHLY doubt any players are willing to try and get into your admin mod while having the knowledge. Most people here can barely install the mod - and your worrying about someone hacking admin-mod?

So I guess thats my final answer, if your that worried pick an option, but really - someone stealing your password by figuring out some bug in admin mod runs around the idea of someone making hacks for ESF - it just won't happen. (But in some unlikely event that it does, I would hate to be blamed. So now that I have confused everyone... I will let you decide. O_O )
----------- EDIT -----

I also re-read your post, assuming i have it right this time:
You use that short-cut to connect to a server NOT run by you, that you DO NOT admin for, but because Admin-Mod runs on that server it scans for programs running on your PC including lines added in the short-cut and this concerns you because you think an admin of that server will use your password and gain control of your Server using your password that they found on their server?

Okay - quick time solution for EVERYTHING, USE WONIDs for admin-access. Don't use names. Just simply change the NAME to a WON ID. Works with IP's as well. If you can't get it to work go to admin-mod and look up help on it.

Best answers
ok .. i will probably use WONID

but my question actually was:
when i exeute the admin pass on startup, that's all i need. meaning when i connect to my server, i don't to enter the pasword, the server auto-reads the password, because it have already been loaded. so since my server can read the password, this means any server running admin mod can also read my password :warning: and i am assuming that there is a way for the server admin to get the reading of my password (i.e. steal my password!! ) so that's what i was asking about. can he get my password? because the server auto-reads it.

wait a sec. something just came to my mind. the server only reads the password if he think he needs to (i.e. my name needs a pasword) but if my name does not need a password then it will never check it ..?!?!?! is that how it works?

another question now. about the bots. i noticed you edit the first post.

i put in my shortcut

+localinfo mm_gamedll dlls/ESF-Bot.dll

but like before. the game quits before the server starts!

when i remove it it runs ok! but no bots.

any clues?

Best answers
Alright, ESF Bots are in alpha stages remember - so I'm not sure they will work. I edited my post, look at it again - last time I had it set for POD Bot, now it should look like that for ESF-Bot.dll

I can't test it my self because I do not have ESF Bot. It probably won't work for dedicated servers, I'm almost positive of that. As for listenservers - just retry it with that line (Make sure and put the ESF-Bot in the right directory.) If it doesn't work it probably won't work period.

Best answers
*bump*

I'm assuming not many people are installing admin-mod on account that there are few FAQ's. That pleases me.

However, I am curious about the number of servers using admin mod. I don't have time for games during the week on account of school and work - so if someone would be willing to fill me in on if there is being any admin-mod abuse? Or have servers just been using the regular RCon?

Best answers
Ok, I followed Cookster's tutorial (and I thank him for taking the time to make it) and did everything it said to do. Now, when I go to make a listening server, the loading screen comes on (blue-ish backround with kame palace on it) but there are no messages like "connecting to server" and what not. My computer makes sounds like it's loading the map and the server but nothing happens. The screen just stays on the loading screen with no numbers or anything. I've left it there for 10 minutes before and nothing happens. The computer isn't frozen because I can just hit escape and it brings me to the main server choice menu. Any ideas?

Best answers
Ok, so I guess I've made a little progress. I fixed my console to show the messages etc. and there was a problem with the name being reserved. Anyways, now I go into the server I create, and I enter my password and it says it's accepted but I only have access to a few commands such as vote_kick and whatnot. How do I get it to allow me to do everything?

Best answers
Make sure your admin pass.cfg file has the right access number, that is what gives you access to specific commands:

forexample, if I wanted full access I would have this line:

Cookster:mypassword:131071

131071 gives you full access.

To do the calculations to figure out the numbers, there is a link in the Tutorial that takes you to a calculator where you can figure out the access levels.

Best answers
Ok, so then does the setinfo thing go in that folder as well? If not, where? And I'm running a non-dedicated server so this will still work right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom