Writing Portion on the SATs

Best answers
Well, my teacher told me that next year that their will be a writing portion on the SATs and next year is when I become a Junior... I got so mad when I heard that because my teacher said that he looked at 10 random juniors with no one with a score over 790 and that is WITHOUT the writing portion...

so i'm just thinking, I should start a dam petition cuz this is BS... how come the newcomers gotta write and the old people had a multiple choice test... yo this seriously pisses me off... makes my life alot worse... if anyone finds a petition or is interested in starting one, let me know because I hate writing and I'm pretty sure 90% of the other high school students do also... :S

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its just writing - just do it and be done with it!

Best answers
There has always been a writing portion of the SAT's... at least in the SAT II's. Lucky me I already took them all ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah dude...the writing part has always been there it just didn't count much (or at all). Now it counts.

Besides, if you can't write you deserve to bomb out on the SATs. It's a skill that is eventually required in life, sooner or later.

Best answers
I agree with Pride, if you can't/can't be bothered to write then you aren't going to get too far in life. Anyway, I was always under the impression that SAT's mean jack ****, my teachers just exaggerated how important they were and the only thing they did in reality was falsley predict future grades.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Epedemic_Optikz said:
Well, my teacher told me that next year that their will be a writing portion on the SATs and next year is when I become a Junior... I got so mad when I heard that because my teacher said that he looked at 10 random juniors with no one with a score over 790 and that is WITHOUT the writing portion...

so i'm just thinking, I should start a dam petition cuz this is BS... how come the newcomers gotta write and the old people had a multiple choice test... yo this seriously pisses me off... makes my life alot worse... if anyone finds a petition or is interested in starting one, let me know because I hate writing and I'm pretty sure 90% of the other high school students do also... :S
Hey, ever heard the phrase, life's not fair? In Ontario, grade 10's have to take a literacy test, I was <i>un</i>fortunate enough to be the first year of students that had to write it. Did I complain that it wasn't fair because everyone born before me didn't have to write it? No.

Suck it up, writing is an important part of post-seconadry education, and it should be on the SATs.

Best answers
I don't even have to write SAT's (Go go Canada!), but I would be appauled if there was no writing section. Writing is one of the most invaluable skills you will ever develop, assuming you try to develop it. Its just like verbal speech, once you learn how to do it, you can 'wow' people with various 'techniques', and impress various people with your skill.

Trust me, its for your own good. If you can't write, you don't deserve to get out of High School IMO.

Best answers
no... I'm talking about the SATS Multiple Choice section, becoming Short Answers... therefore making it unfair for others who are going to take the test to score higher than the ones who have already taken it without the whole MPC converting to Writing... and I really don't have to suck anything up simply because just because it is writing on the test doesn't mean it is easy... like wow you have to write on this one part... now writing about something retarded in history or literature about shakespeare, that kinda sucks to know something that I bet 90% of my school wou;dn't even know.. but i'd rather type than write since writing just makes my fingers hurt more and i'm terrible at cursive... essays I write are really always below an 80... heh

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the public school system focuses too much on Math, rather than English concepts--and as a result, there's an entire generation of citizens lacking in this area.

Our literature is what will suffer when "Generation Next" is all that is left, besides the proceeding one.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, the SATs tend to add unfair additions frequently. But the fact of the matter is, if you can't pass it, you can't pass it. No matter what form it takes, it tests your aptitude. I scored 1260 on the SAT I (PSAT), and 940 on the SAT II. Obiviously, the testing method changed . . . I didn't feel any dumber, and my IQ was still 138.

The bottom line is not to bottom out on the SAT, it will help you get into a nice college, if you plan to go there. (Make it easy on yourself, plan to go there.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
same here ep, jr in september and im sure ill have a writing portion as well... **** it im good at coming out on top

my advice to you is talk to the smart girls.. :smile:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was always pissed that there WASN'T writing on it as much before.

I don't think they're taking away the multiple choice...they're checked by machine, to have handwriting on it in excess would defeat the purpose. And it isn't in human nature to counteract an easy fail-safe process on good intentions (or otherwise...we're lazy bastards 80% of the time).

I got a 1250 on the SAT1 on my first shot. With a perfect 800 in english, if you can believe that. It was dumb luck, though.

And Ep...don't write in cursive. It's an ancient counteractive practice that does nothing but make it harder to write and harder to read. Stick it to the man!!

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I too had a perfect English on the old exam, I think I had a 700 something on the SAT II, I don't remember for sure.

Math killed me, I only took algebra because I was in Vo Tech for comp sci, I never took Trig or Calc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom