Women and PC-s

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Besides. Everyone knows that girls are natural predators to anything that causes men not to be readily obsessed with them, which includes many things we do such as video games, fun, happiness, etc.
qft

My sister is really into the Sims. She bought my computer for the sole purpose of playing the Sims. I think women are more social too, so fps games in general wouldnt be as interesting as an MMO would be. Please note that this is merely speculation, and I really dont understand women in the slightest, nor would I want to.

If I didnt have computer, work, and guitar, I honestly wouldnt know what to do with myself.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
My sister plays World of Warcraft and Survival Horror games, and puzzle games like Grim Fandango and all that, she plays Doom 3 on occasion but her fiancee is the one who plays FPS games if they can pry themselves from WoW.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One reason why most women play video games because they love playing games that involve life like...Sims 2... or barbie... or maybe that playboy game. :O

Who knows. =O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Women just play different games, if at all. There are women that you see playing traditional PC games (Counter-Strike, stuff like that), just not as much. I guess it's really just like others have said: it's just the way the sexes are. This doesn't speak for all individuals of a given gender of course, but the majority.

Now what's really weird is when you find a female programmer. <3
*hawt*

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it really matter? This is like asking why men play PC Games. Hey, my family has females in it and they play games and goes on computers. What's the big deal?

Best answers
They are out there...But I imagine a lot of them pretend to be male so that they don't have to deal with the "omg a womans!!! Lets sexors!!!"...The point of playing a game is to relax in your spare time not to be harassed. While growing up I always warned my sister(who was into games) not to let ANYONE know she was female...and of course one day she slipped up and regretted it for awhile.

Though does it really matter to you what gender person you are playing on the other end? Does it make any sort of difference? If it does thats probably one of the reasons so many pretend to be male...

Best answers
Not to be mean or anything in any kind of way buy how do you GUYS get off with saying all of this stuff about girls and gaming. What i'm trying to say is how do all of you know this much stuff about women, are you just giving educated guesses on how women act or what?

Oh and I'm probably going to regret all of the stuff I just said, aren't I?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you young? Do you have no girlfriend?(No flame, just asking) And some people on these boards are women. But I laugh at that Soul Punisher, I think that happened to Alea or someone one day. But I think women don't play games or pretend there males becuase they're probably afraid of what will happen to her when they reveal they're girls. There are some immature nazis on the net. But I don't see what the big deal is over a female playing a game. I atleast don't or I try not to act immature. There's no big deal for a female to play a game. I swear, I see some people act like the release date for 1.3 to a female. They're like ZOMG!!!! SECKS ME! This is why I belive females say they're men or why they don't play online/computer games that much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's kind of odd that people say "reveal they are actually girls". It's not like YOU go into every server you play on and announce you're a guy, so why should the girl?

Best answers
Man I knew I would regret it.

Just for the record I'm not young, i'm 15 and I have had girlfriends in the past, just for the record. And what i tried saying back there came out wrong, It was one of those moments where you think of something but dont know how to say it.

Best answers
Deman said:
Oh, women compete alright. Just not as directly as men do. They do the gossip thing to compete with eachother.
when women compete it can be very mean even breaking up friendships it has happened to me i hate their competitive style i lost a gf because of it

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when women compete it can be very mean even breaking up friendships it has happened to me i hate their competitive style i lost a gf because of it
god man when women compete people lose ears

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe girls dont find the ammount of prebubecant competative retards on the net appealing and therefore steer clear of it. Thats my theory.

Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Maybe girls dont find the ammount of prebubecant competative retards on the net appealing and therefore steer clear of it. Thats my theory.

:yes: - And The Survey Says - :paper:

David's Theory/Opinion>>>My Theory/Opinion>>>>>>Everyone Else's Theory/Opinion

Your theory has been approved as a fact, congratulations, there's no need for this thread to go any further now anymore, about that ordeal anyway. :paper:

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Men have a natural born desire to compete with one another in order to measure themselves against others. Women, not as much. That's why competitive games such as CS, ESF and the likes are widely popular with men, and not so much with women.
Oh, women compete alright, but instead of the internet, their medium is in reality. Who has the nicest clothes, who has the best hair, who has the best boyfriend. Gossip gossip gossip. To say women aren't competitive by nature, is a bold-faced lie, and you obviously havn't been around women that much. Girls check each other out ALLLL the time, not because they're lesbians, but because they're constantly judging each-other, because they want to look the best when they're at the mall, or at the bar etc...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My brother's girl will play car games (nfsu , juiced etc). They seem to have some appeal , you see chicks as models and pictures too (so in a sense there's spme sense in it too as some games will also have women in them).

I also see 12 - 16yr old girls playying vice city at this hear say internet cafe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering this is all a broad generalization, let me make a few (fairly accurate ones, I hope):

In short, most girls are raised on Barbie, so to speak. Most guys are raised on GI Joe. Counter-Strike? It's like GI Joe for big kids. Pretend war. So naturally we get into it more; we're more drawn to action/danger/adventure in like a dangerous, violent sense. As a gender we are simply the more aggressive one, and our upbringing nurtures that.

As mentioned before, gaming, especially at the more "hardcore" levels, is something related to geekdom. The average true geek social group is generally almost all guys, if not all guys. That's probably because most geeky subjects have some war-like attribute to them (Star Wars/Trek, LOTR/DnD fantasy stuff, Warhammer, various violent games, etc.) Girl nerds/geeks/whatever certainly exist, but they are much more rare, especially ones very much into gaming in general.

Video games are simply a more guyish-related thing. It's like asking, "Why don't many girls like talking about custom cars and crap all the time?" "Why don't guys like talking about hair-dos?" One's very obviously guyly, one's very clearly girly. That's just how it is, not to say there aren't some exceptions, but that's the point; they are considered exceptions. Commonly speaking certain things are simply male things to do, and certain things are simply female. Video games, while the lines are far less strict than some examples, are still an example. It's mostly a male population.

And that's why these stupid immature kids freak out when they see a girl online in a game. Most likely they are some loser who knows few if any girls and sees the chance to release his frustration by hitting on (badly) some person who he *thinks* is a girl. In a video game. But seeing a girl in a server is like finding a needle in a haystack. You gals are a... commodity or something, for lack of a better word. And it's stupid but that's how it's always been.

Honestly, if I was a girl, I would never friggin' tell people in a game. There's no way it's worth the harassment and annoyance of having a server full of 13 year old punks start spitting their geek-game at you.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't normally bother replying to threads which involve gender. I don't criticize girls who post their pictures in the "OMG PIX!" threads, but there's no way they could not know what's going to happen if you do. On some forums, it's okay to. But this forum is full of twelve year olds because of what ESF is. I'm responding to this thread because I think it's interesting. I have responses for a lot of people, but in order to keep the quotes down I've shortened their posts a bit.

-JLN- said:
Ha ha, that gave me a laugh :D

Seriously though, I would say that the main reason that girls don't play as much is because of how we're all brought up. As Shiyojin said, there's the competitive element, which probably makes up the bulk of casual gamers. I would say that men are generally more competitive.
I don't really think it's because of how we're "brought up." It's the video games themselves. Games are marketed towards men. 95% of the lead characters in video games are male. The female characters are almost always supporting characters who have unrealistically large breasts, gigantic thighs, and are either timid and submissive, or the stereotypical "badass femme fatale." Note that this has a lot to do with Japanese culture, as opposed to American culture. But they make most of our games, so in the end it ends up being our video game culture. In my experience, women are more interested in the story and customization aspect of games than the mindless slashing. Games with select-your-gender main characters or female main characters seem to do well and be more popular with both genders. (Resident Evil 2, FF6, Star Ocean?) But they're pretty few and far between.

Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Men have a natural born desire to compete with one another in order to measure themselves against others. Women, not as much. That's why competitive games such as CS, ESF and the likes are widely popular with men, and not so much with women.
Women can be just as competetive. Obviously I can't speak for every woman more than you can speak for every man.. But I would imagine that most girls in America have no interest in DBZ because that's how the dub and general shonen anime have been marketed. DBZ had a special place in the Japanese culture that was watched by both genders, just as Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon was popular by both male and females. (Don't get me wrong--while both DBZ/SM were liked by both genders, more men liked DBZ and more women liked SM.) But If ESF was a Japanese mod, and made during the height of popularity, that many more girls would be playing it than do now. But there is a truth to what you're saying--CS/ESF/etc, not because they're competetive, but because they're CS/ESF/etc.

I've always hated CounterStrike, for numerous reasons.
1) People cheat. Constantly.
2) It's full of 12 year olds who feel the need to voice-chat their obnoxious high-pitched voices and scream things to the other side like "NEWB! YOU'RE SO ***! STOP SNIPING!"
3) It's unrealistic. People claim it to be realistic, but is a world where you can die from two shots to the foot with a pistol, while wearing full body kevlar realistic? Where you slow down from being shot, only to magically speed back up again?
4) The objectives are meaningless. What kind of counter-terrorists can 'win' when the hostages are killed?

Logan289 said:
Most girl gamers I've seen play Survival Horror games. I've seen a ton of girls on Resident Evil Outbreak File #2

Some are 18. some are 60.
This is funny, and true. I know several girls who only play Resident Evil/Silent Hill, and the Sims.

Davidskiwan said:
dReAm KiLlEr said:
But I think women don't play games or pretend there males becuase they're probably afraid of what will happen to her when they reveal they're girls. There are some immature nazis on the net. But I don't see what the big deal is over a female playing a game. I atleast don't or I try not to act immature. There's no big deal for a female to play a game. I swear, I see some people act like the release date for 1.3 to a female. They're like ZOMG!!!! SECKS ME! This is why I belive females say they're men or why they don't play online/computer games that much.
I completely agree with this. As I said earlier, I rarely if ever "admit" that I'm a girl in games or on forums. People have sent me PMs asking me, or asked me in AIM. Or people that I get to know realize it.

In online video games where you choose your character, I originally made female characters. People are unrealistically 'nice' to you. Although it is funny to take advantage of a twelve year old pining over you, when they really have no idea whether you're a girl or a 105 year old man, willing to give you that 25 platinum or "shining mithril waraxe" for no real reason. So I usually play as male characters, or female characters with loose, ambiguous clothing and a generic name.

To sum it up.. I don't think that women as a gender like video games less, they just like what video games are currently being made less. I suspect there's a rather large fanbase out there going untapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom