Wire-less Power

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6129460.stm

Now you can play your handheld games outside until you die.

"Nineteenth-century physicist and engineer Nikola Tesla experimented with long-range wire-less energy transfer, but his most ambitious attempt - the 29m high aerial known as Wardenclyffe Tower, in New York - failed when he ran out of money."

Tesla was working on "free energy" for everyone. I would think that would be worth looking into, especially since he failed only because he didn't have any money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa, that's pretty kick ass.

I've always wondered how wireless energy transfer would work, and if it was even possible.

The potential applications for this are nigh-limitless.

Best answers
Wireless power.......Tesla...... All i can think of is those Tesla coils in Red alert that electrocute you in split second when walking near it...

Honestly wireless energy would be cool...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, this is certainly nothing new. IIRC, Tesla had wanted to run the electric lights in a building at the World's Fair by broadcasting power from Britain, but could find nobody to fund it for him.

You really have to wonder about how such a system would work. This was around way, way back, and yet it isn't used at all, AFAIK. How much energy is lost, what does it cost to maintain, how the hell does it work, how does it compare with the existing standard for power transmission? It's almost enought to make me want to try electrical engineering... almost. Very interesting stuff, to say the least.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the problem has less to do with it's feasability and more to do with our forced dependence on fossil fuels. We should be using electric cars (the newest cars run as well or better than the cars the general public uses) instead of spending millions of dollars on research for hydrogen cells, which will ultimately lead us to a dead end. Then again, if we spend less money, someone else is making less money and that just can't be allowed.

Best answers
This Tesla guy is the same guy that tried to create the Charged Particle Cannon... which would be friggin awesome! Zoids anyone?!?!?

lol, when i find a link, i'll definately post it.

@Zeo - How would Hydrogen power lead us to a dead end? Its a renewable energy source, not to mention, its like... one of the most common elements.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
@Zeo - How would Hydrogen power lead us to a dead end? Its a renewable energy source, not to mention, its like... one of the most common elements.
Agreed. Cars that run on water. Not to mention burning hydrogen has a way bigger energy extraction than the oil people use theese days.

Sadly its also a lot more explosive ^^

But hey. That would only lead to people drtiving safer. Since noone wants to blow up from a crash right XD

As for whireles power. It all sounds great. But what about the radiation of the energy vawes. I mean if a mobile phone thats caried close to the heart can cause heart problems. Imagine what a stronger energy that goes all round us all the time would do.

First there should be proof that its safe to use.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Relax, God Emperor, I'll fill this one. Hydrogen fuel cells are not a form of renewable energy. It's basically a battery that uses hydrogen and oxygen rather than lithium ion, or NiCd. You still need to actually get the energy to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. Another problem is that hydrogen molecules, being very, very small, will actually diffuse through most anything you put it in. That high-tech fuel cell won't do you any good if you lose half of it to the atmosphere before you can use it.

We've progressed from one battery that, horrifyingly to the oil companies, worked great 10 years ago, to a new one that has been only 10 years off for the past decade. Seriously, watch Who Killed the Electric Car. It will open your eyes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bus to catch.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tesla is amazing, some of the things he was able to do were crazy. If you've ever seen a movie where they have a crazy scientist concocting a doomsday device, well, that would be Tesla.

It would be a major scientific breakthrough if what these guys are proposing can actaully happen. We could have, like, wireless vaccuums!.. Or something

Best answers
Well.. yeah. The mad professor creating doomsday weapons would definatley be Tesla. Uh, lol, I heard that Tesla was a kind gentleman and only wanted to create the Charged Particle Cannon for reasons of saving the lives of human beings.

But yeah, CP Cannon... thats insaine, im kinda surprised that no one tried to recreate that weapon.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Relax, God Emperor, I'll fill this one. Hydrogen fuel cells are not a form of renewable energy. It's basically a battery that uses hydrogen and oxygen rather than lithium ion, or NiCd. You still need to actually get the energy to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. Another problem is that hydrogen molecules, being very, very small, will actually diffuse through most anything you put it in. That high-tech fuel cell won't do you any good if you lose half of it to the atmosphere before you can use it.

We've progressed from one battery that, horrifyingly to the oil companies, worked great 10 years ago, to a new one that has been only 10 years off for the past decade. Seriously, watch Who Killed the Electric Car. It will open your eyes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bus to catch.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll just add to that by saying there's a reason car companies are for hydrogen power.

And yeah, Tesla was amazing. He invented all kinds of crazy stuff, like a remote controlled sub. Actually, he might have been the first guy to invent a remote controlled anything.

Since we're on the subject of cars: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/road-test-lotus-exige-265e

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wireless Charged Particle Cannons..

World domination, here I come!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lotus kicks ass. If I had the money, I'd be driving one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom