Votes: 26 86.7%
  • W8

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Vista

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I imagine most people haven't made the switch to Windows 8, but I wanted to see who uses what. I have a laptop with XP on it still and it's great, although I am very fond of W7. The reason I want to know is I'm thinking about possibly building a rig and wanted to get suggestions for which version of Windows I want to install.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd go with 7 until SP1 comes out for 8.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I won't upgrade to Win8 for a long time! Windows 7 is amazing, and it would take a long time getting used to Win8!

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After using it (W7) for almost 2 years i can truly call it the new Xp. It's pretty stable and straight forward. For instance the best thing... the fast search through all the computer. Simple and fast. And if your pc is kinda old you can tweak it to use about half a gig of ram so that's pretty good.
W8 looks nice but as Baaja said i got used to w7 and i'm not going to change it anytime soon.

Best answers
I think the whole OS market is a ******* scam. Windows in general is way expensive especially if you upgrade, you basically need to spend money to keep your windows "legit".

I have windows 7, I upgraded my computer, then it turned into an illegitimate version. I think it was a system builder one I'm not quite sure anyways I would get a Windows Activation Technology notification every 5 minutes saying I needed to register my product. I decided to get a legit version of windows, which would be easily over $100 with an ultimate version being about $180. I thought that was too much to spend so I wanted to rollback to XP or Vista and I had absolutley no luck with that in my area, I'd have to go online to buy something like that. So after much frustration and searching I found an answer to my problem - its called removeWAT. It's basically a hacktool that I purposely installed on my computer that prevents the activation notification from popping up - problelm solved, money saved.

I was gonna buy windows 8 but I heard that theres a lot of negative reviews for it which is why I didn't go that direction.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
^
That and i'm not upgrading to windows 8 without having atleast 1 touchscreen.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows 7 on my Desktop and Laptop. I also have another laptop that I use for work, and that's windows 8, but I installed a few programs to bring back the start menu / get rid of all the win8 specific stuff. I really hate windows 8.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
My girlfriend bought a new laptop with a touch screen. I will probably never use the touchscreen + the whole Windows 8 UI is really confusing. They have really changed the way people have accessed Windows computers for 20 years. No I have no clue!

Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i suggest not to use win 8 it uses more then 1.3 gb i prefer using win7 or xp black edition wich only uses 200 mb xD because win8 is not meant to play with it games

Force Pit Member
Best answers
**** Vista, that shit was the worst mother****ing **** sucker OS in history! I'm a ashamed it is the predecessor for Windows 7!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get why people would call their OS software expensive, especially when look at the amount of time you use is as to compared a $50 game. (Then again if you're a student with a mimimum wage part time job you're better off stretching your sea legs and go look for some booty)

Chances are I'll get windows 8 when I build my new PC, which will be around june~. I've played around with it a little and really dislike the lack of uniformity. Besides that.. it's really not too bad. I do hope it's friendlier with SSD's then windows 7 is.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I do hope it's friendlier with SSD's then windows 7 is.
I don't see how that would be possible. Afaik it's just the same in this regard.
The quick boot feature (aka mini-hibernate) is quite cool. The remote desktop usability (or rather the lack of it) isn't.

Also, Vista was quite alright, but people were too busy hating to think clearly about it.

because win8 is not meant to play with it games
And this is also not true. Games run at least as good as on Windows 7, sometimes even better.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
What OS provides best remote desktop-ing anyway? Win 7 was really a saviour, I remember installing it on my old Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo X with Pentium 4, 1,5GB Ram and a really old ATI card. It was like a rebirth. Windows 7 really gave new life to old computers, it was great. I was so happy back then.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Anything is better than corner triggers. :D
That problem has been mitigated with the new MS RDP Client, but you still can't shutdown or reboot Windows 8 via RDP without pressing ALT-F4 on the desktop. So that's pretty lame.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, Vista was quite alright, but people were too busy hating to think clearly about it.
Just...wow.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm going to stick with Windows 7 for now. I forgot to mention that my mom got a new laptop with W8 and it looks neat, but I hate that the start menu has become a start screen. I've heard there are ways to get it back to the old ways, but my mom seems to like it. Her computer boots like a charm too, I'm amazed how fast it is and she doesn't even have an SSD.

Also what's the difference between let's say an 32-bit and a 64-bit OS? Never quite understood that, is one better than the other? Or is it just fancy numbers that make your head spin? I know I could google it, but sometimes with these things I end up reading something about it from google and end up more confused.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The 32 bit and 64 bit refer to the size a memory address (addressing a single byte) has. A greatest 32-bit number is 4,294,967,295, which means that 4 GB can be addressed. So a 32-bit OS can only use 4 GB of memory, tricks and tweaks aside. In these 4 GB of so-called "address space" however, there's not just your RAM. There are also reserved memory regions for almost every internal device, including your graphics card. Which obviously, depending on the amount of graphics memory, blocks shitloads of the 4 GB address space from being used to access RAM. As you can see, a 32-bit OS is severely limited in terms of usable RAM, by today's standards.
A 64-bit OS on the other hand, can address (in theory, today's systems can't) the incredible amount of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes. That's 16 exabyte. No problem's of any sort there, at least for the next couple of years.

Bottom line is: If you have 4 GB RAM or more, you need to use a 64-bit OS, or you won't be able to take advantage of all that RAM.

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Barney - "I forgot to mention that my mom got a new laptop with W8 and it looks neat, but I hate that the start menu has become a start screen."

Not entirely true, you can move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen and then right-click. It will give you a quick menu with all the advanced stuff you might need.

I'm using windows 8.
It's at least as good as windows 7 and I'm running it on my desktop and laptop which I use for games as well as my homework (Webdesign and Application developer).

Windows 8 boots faster - noticed it.
It runs all applications just fine and has the 'metro' interface which helps keeping your desktop clean.

Give it a try! It's worth it.

Last edited:
The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Windows 8 boots faster because it doesn't. It uses a variant of the hibernate feature if you don't reboot or hold Shift while initiating the shutdown. Provided, of course, the feature hasn't been disabled entirely in the Power Options.

As for the clean Desktop - you can also have that with Windows 7 or even XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom