Windowed mode? Awesome! (+Some bragging)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was screwing around earlier and I found an option for a windowed mode in CS:S so I tried it, and I lost almost no framerate. I could alt tab without blinking, no problems. Then I started to mess around. I remember CS:S is on a different engine than CS so I tried playing both at once and it worked. Then I ended up taking this shot just to show off.

So I made this thread to let people know that windowed mode is awesome and also to show off a little of my comp's power. Unfortunately it doesn't show off all that flashily because framerates in windowed games drop dramatically when you don't have them selected (actually playing I was getting about 45-50fps on average in CS:S during all this). Props to alt+print screen, with humor by Hito.

So how about some shots from other people? Throw up a couple of games you like to play in windowed mode and make a collage shot. I used alt+print screen, but in order to make it take a picture of everything on the screen I had to click on the desktop first. I went spectator in those games but they were both online (CS:S and DoD), Cloud Phobia is just a freeware side scroller.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, that's nothing. I've seen someone with like 15 quake 3 games running at the same time at like 50 fps :p.

Best answers
just out of curiosity how is that braggin? lol a lot of people i know could do that but meh, congrats? i to like playing most of my games in a window, just so i can chat and play at the same time, i wish the gunbound hack still worked though i stopped playing gunbound but meh it was nice having it in awindow =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[Buys new computer]

MY PC sucks so i cant even play CS:S at 60 fps. Its annoying.....i really need to get a new PC......

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stop complaining ;P I couldn't even play CS:Source so :p Gooooooooo PIII 933, voodoo 5 PCI :p Maybe I'll try windowed so I can AIM while gestating to Onos :p

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GO AMD 1.0 ghz Geforce 3 ti500! :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dunno i for one enjoy fullscreen mode

i mean i paid for a big monitor and by god i wanna use it for games >_<

Best answers
Hibiki said:

lol well yea i am the same pretty much, but theres those few games where u need to wait ur turn and its so damn boring lol, so i used to have this one thing i could put gunbound in a window and just talk on AIM but the idiots that made the game, softnyx, decided to block it out for whatever reason.....its just plain stupidity lol but o well i dont play anymore but yea i do play most of my games full screen but if i am talking to someone and in a good convo ill use window mode lol

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Having 15 quake 3 games running wouldn't be quite as tough as what I put up there. Source eats up your resources, and so does DoD. If you had 15 quake 3 games open they'd probably all be sharing a lot of the same ram, whereas everything I had up there needed its own, and brought me down to virtually no ram left for anything at all. I could play any of those games flawlessly without slowdown, probably thanks to hyperthreading. That's where the bragging comes in. Besides that, a lot of ESF players don't have newer computers.

And if "everyone can do it" where are the screenshots eh?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heres what I did in mine.

Settings on all games were set to max, (exept Doom3, you need a card not made yet for Ultra... But was on high with all effects)

Frames while playing with ESF seemed about 30-40( dont know fps commands)
Doom3 and UT2k3 ran smoothly suprisingly! probably about 50fps.

I love my new computer!

Edit: I just relized My pic isnt showing.... it was after i posted it, or is it just me that cant see it?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not made yet? I run Doom3 fine on Ultra, with my 9800XT. (1024x768)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, the "dream" card for it, is that card 512mb? I dont think they made those for Home uses yet. only companies have them.

Anyways, i should do some benchmarks on your card over mine

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The 9800XT is 8x AGP, 256MB.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know, bench marks are like tests over cards. not sure if you know that.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what a benchmark is. -_- I believe I got 48,000 in Aquamark3, and 7000 in 3dMark03, if that helps you any.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
kinda, need to look up mine though
But no bench marks for Doom3?

my card got 40-50fps for ultra

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:

/me agrees

Why would anyone want to play games in windowed mode? -_-''

Bolteh2

B
i play warcraft3 in windowed just so i can chat on msn during the game :x

i dont play first person shooters in windowed tho

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
kinda, need to look up mine though
But no bench marks for Doom3?

my card got 40-50fps for ultra
Yea, you can run it in ultra, but without a 512 mb card, you're always going to have some pauses as it makes room for more textures.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Yea, you can run it in ultra, but without a 512 mb card, you're always going to have some pauses as it makes room for more textures.
i know thats what mine does, i can play it if i want, but when a Imp decides to break through, your games gonna pause and chop up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom