Wii U less powerful than X360 & PS3, game developers are disappointed.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, so, the Wii was basically double Gamecubes, right?

Well, the Wii U, is TRIPLE GAMECUBES.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...i-u-cpu-secrets

Barely held back by non-disclosure agreements, game developers have expressed some disappointment with the Wii U CPU architecture but have yet to go on the record with firm information on exactly why performance is apparently so lacklustre...Today, a post from Wii and PS3 hacker Marcan puts a firm figure on that, precise to six decimal places no less:

"1.243125GHz, exactly. 3 PowerPC 750 type cores (similar to Wii's Broadway, but more cache). GPU core at 549.999755MHz."

Marcan's comments corroborate earlier stories about the provenance of the CPU, which suggested that the cores are indeed very similar to the Broadway architecture found in the Wii, which in itself harks back to IBM's PowerPC 750 core which first debuted way back in 1997...For the transition to Wii U, clock speed has almost doubled, core count has tripled and according to Marcan, there is more on-board cache. Other sources have previously suggested further enhancements to the technology, such as out of order execution - a feature that isn't present in the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 CPUs.
I'm actually happy about this, means the Wii U will be emulated in no time. The Wii was emulated incredibly quickly, so this should as well.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe you should support nintendo and buy their consoles instead of continuing to illegally play their products

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am gonna have to sit on Dam's side on this one. I am still against pirating games unless they are from an older system or you own a copy of it.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Wii U is innovative and fun. Just buy it

Also everyone knew it wasn't powerful

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This strikes me as a premature determination. Developers can always do more with consoles at the end of their lifespan because they simply know the console architecture better. The 360 is at the end of its lifespan and the Wii U has barely begun its. Not a fair comparison at all.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'mma emulate the shit out of it once it becomes possible!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, who woulda known that you can't judge a computer by 2 pieces of hardware? Either way, I fully intend to buy a Wii U. It's gonna have amazing games, backwards compatibility with the Wii, an innovative portability design, and the only games I really care enough to buy a console for (Smash Bros and various rpgs. And probably Sonic.)

For the record, I don't own an Xbox or a PS3. I didn't care enough to buy either and instead used my more gullible friends set-ups to play Xbox-only or PS3-only titles. I have my PC for everything else.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
"(although the 360's gets halved to a functional 1.6GHz when multithreading)" Ouch. It's the dual core calculation, only reversed. :D

Developers should base their feelings on how easy it is to develop for a platform. That (and of course the unsuitability) made the CPU of the PS3 suck so much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe you should support nintendo and buy their consoles instead of continuing to illegally play their products
getting an emulator and games for it doesn't necessarily mean you are illegally playing the games. THe games I owned for my Wii I played on my PC even though my Wii is right over there in the corner. I like the PC functions enhancing the Wii more so that the console itself.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I thought the GPU was the biggest upgrade for the Wii U? Nonetheless, for Nintendo - "Content is king" and they are segmented at families and young gamers more so than hardcore gamers. That is why innovative controls and new ways of playing their games is their #1 priority and not CPU/GPU specs. A good game should most of the times be based on its gameplay and not purtyness :)

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I actually like the fact that Nintendo never succumbed to popular opinion about high specs for their consoles and sticked to their idea of being innovative and original with the consoles/games.
Most companies only care about graphics and that's why all the top Wii games are from Nintendo itself, because they develop their games with gameplay and entertainment as top priority rather than graphics.
With all the new innovations that the Wii U has to offer, and the fact that is finally a Nintendo's HD console, I think this will be a great hit for them and the games will be really awesome as soon as they start coming out.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Plenty of 3rd party games on the Wii U

But since the Wii Nintendo has been about innovation not power

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom