Wii/PS3... well, how are they?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Allow me to answer some of the questions you guys may have. I've been keeping track of this machine since its revelation, and I hang out on a Wii forum so I get tons of info.

Do you have an account tied with the games ala Steam, or is it a one time download onto your machine? And if you lose it for some reason, do you have to buy it again?

Also something that's been bugging me. I've looked around but I haven't found much information on this.

They say that the GC controller will work with the Wii. They also offer a classic controller seperately. Will the GC controller work in place of the classic controler for any game that needs it? I really really hope so.
Every Wii has its own identification number, which is how it identifies itself on the network and among the other Wiis. You don't really have an account - just that number.

When you download a VC game, the Nintendo servers flag it as 'bought', so even if you delete the game from your memory, you can go to the store again and download it without having to pay for it again. You buy the rights to play the game, so even if you delete the game itself, you still keep those rights. That's how it works.

The GC controller does work with the Wii, as it's also backwards-compatible with the GC games (it can also use up to two GC Memory Cards, btw). The GC controller works with the VC as well, but you can't use a feature if a game didn't originally have it, for example you can't play Super Mario Bros. with the analog stick, simply because it wasn't designed to. The GC's directional pad is kind of small and ****ty, so for traditional 2D gaming, you might want to get a Classic Controller anyway.

When you get a VC game in the Wii Store, it'll show you, by way of icons, which controllers it needs/supports, that way you won't get ****ed over if you buy a game but don't have the right controller. As far as I know though, GC controllers should work with practically every system the Wii can emulate, as it's pretty versatile with plenty of buttons.

Well, I dunno how it connects or how much the monthly fee will cost, I know it's one month free, I just connected to my wireless network and put in the WEP key and voila.

The News and Weather channel thing didn't immediately start.
As far as I know, using the online service for Wii is completely free - no monthly fees.

The News and Weather Channels won't be available on launch, rather they will launch on January 27th and December 20th, respectively.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
When you download a VC game, the Nintendo servers flag it as 'bought', so even if you delete the game from your memory, you can go to the store again and download it without having to pay for it again. You buy the rights to play the game, so even if you delete the game itself, you still keep those rights. That's how it works.
Question, do I need to buy the cards or what not to buy these games? Is there a way to get them without having to pay? I think I heard somewhere that you can unlock points much like the achievment system for the 360. Am I crazy?

And for Red Steel, I hate to be the black sheep, but i'm actually really enjoying it. The AI sucks, and the controller is weird. But i'm not even gonna base it on the controller because it's the first real Wii game i've played so I need to get used to it i'm just assuming. We'll find out if it's just poor button placement a year later when I have the hang of it.

But Red Steel really is a great game to play to get the hang of shooters. Since the AI sucks it's not that impossible to play even when you are shooting randomly like a retard (my accuracy is 15% average tyvm). And the health bar is much like Halo's shield, where if you rest a bit it'll refill automatically.

Basically, don't think of it as a blockbuster launch title hopeful like Halo was. Think of it more as a learning step to help you better learn how to handle the controller and spastic movements needed for shooters. It's actually an amazing game in terms of helping you along the learning curve. And I reccomend it to all Wii owners, but yea, only as a rental.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Allow me to answer some of the questions you guys may have. I've been keeping track of this machine since its revelation, and I hang out on a Wii forum so I get tons of info.

Every Wii has its own identification number, which is how it identifies itself on the network and among the other Wiis. You don't really have an account - just that number.

The GC controller does work with the Wii, as it's also backwards-compatible with the GC games (it can also use up to two GC Memory Cards, btw). The GC controller works with the VC as well, but you can't use a feature if a game didn't originally have it, for example you can't play Super Mario Bros. with the analog stick, simply because it wasn't designed to. The GC's directional pad is kind of small and ****ty, so for traditional 2D gaming, you might want to get a Classic Controller anyway.

When you get a VC game in the Wii Store, it'll show you, by way of icons, which controllers it needs/supports, that way you won't get ****ed over if you buy a game but don't have the right controller. As far as I know though, GC controllers should work with practically every system the Wii can emulate, as it's pretty versatile with plenty of buttons.

As far as I know, using the online service for Wii is completely free - no monthly fees.

The News and Weather Channels won't be available on launch, rather they will launch on January 27th and December 20th, respectively.
Awesome. Thank you for answering those for me, I feel much better about buying a Wii now. And I might have an inkling to sex you up as well....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Question, do I need to buy the cards or what not to buy these games? Is there a way to get them without having to pay? I think I heard somewhere that you can unlock points much like the achievment system for the 360. Am I crazy?
People have been talking that they'd like to see such things, or that you perhaps get VC games packages with new Wii releases (for example, get Smash Bros 64 when you buy Smash Bros Brawl), or perhaps that you can earn extra Wii points by finishing quests in Zelda.

All of the above is mere speculation and wishful thinking, just to make that clear again. I wouldn't get your hopes up for any of it.

As far as I know, you have to buy the cards, either at retail, or online with a credit card, to buy the points. You input the points into your machine, much like with XBox Live, after which you can spend them on items in the Wii Shopping Channel.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nintendo Wii was released?
When? How much was it? =O
Edit:
Is the PS3 Released?
Yeah, but good luck getting it, all 40 systems were sold out and faught over already.

You may be able to find a Wii in the coming weeks, but even it's larger amount of systems were sold out pretty quick.

Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu do you know how the Mii party works? I know you need to trade ID numbers but they forbid it on the Nintendo forums, which doesnt make sense. :?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally have no experience with trading Miis, but I imagine that you first trade your ID code with someone, after which they appear in your address book thingy, and I suppose that you can then send them your Mii in a WiiMail.

On www.thewiire.com is a forum with plenty of Wii owners, you might try asking there if you want to be 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom