Who exactly is Gman? (from HL1 and HL2)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
As for the g-man he is alien. Havent you played the mod "Point of View". He was inside zen without a suit. (i know, it is a fan mod).
Stop right there. Your entire argument is now null and void -_- These fans didn't have any contact with Mark Laidlaw (guy who wrote the story), and thus, their ideas about alien communication or Gman not needing a suit, etc., are completely their random theories. This was made during HL1, a time when we knew even less about the HL universe than we do now (that is to say, VERY VERY LITTLE)

Gman clearly is something not human, whether he was before or not. To label him as an alien is jumping to conclusions, still. Who knows what he is.

Again, don't assume too much from the name. NOBODY IN-GAME CALLS HIM GMAN. The model could've been named that way for any number of arbitrary reasons.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*SPOILER*
keep in mind that, he stopped timed and put Gordon Freeman into a room of nothing ness until he desides to give him another task (HL 3)
what does that tell you, not only is he a mad scientist, he can control floor you walk on so maybe you are living in his world, a world that he controls, a world that he rules!

dont you find it wierd that he saves you from death by putting you into a 'nothing' room or the 'matrix' as some might call it,

now he put you in that room with nothing, pitch black, = nothing left of the world - zada! = story/task completed,

he is deciding what to do with you next, shall he spare your live one more time? will he make you fight him in a duel match at the end of the next chapter he is going to send you through?

the story has just begun!
now form what this seems, it looks like Gman is a Matrix creator! (controls what happens to you, when it happens to you, and how it will finish!)

Gman is the future! he is the 'Matrix'!!! (you never know)

lol but that is how the ending of HL 2 is looking for me,

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said that valve based thier ideas off of these with the aliens. They were saying that the human's hearing was impared. Its the GENERAL IDEA is the thing. I didnt say it was exact, it just had TONS of similarities that make sence linking HL1, HL2, and the Alien Point Of View. If you played it and read the story lines that come out through the game you will understand what I am talking about. Until then you are only seeing 1/6 of the arguement.

The whole point of those paragraphs was to tell teh fact that he isnt human due to the fact that I cant shoot that bastard down. Hell, I bet even the special gravity gun(wont name names cause its a HL2 spoiler) wouldnt faze him.

Best answers
I have this wacky idea that might fit the story. G-man could be Gordan only older and trying to make him go the other path instead of his own path. Dont get me? Alright then.

Lets say Gordan got *spoilers* through the rock rubble and didnt have to go through RavenHolm?*spoilers*. It could point out that Gman might have used some sort of teleportation device that someone made and went to save his youngerself. And he might have other gadgets with him. So this might have a connection.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Who says the government may be 100% run by humans? Maybe he is jsut a weird nonhuman guy using the best of the best of the best people to help him with tasks, like in Half - Life 1, which was basically Gordon's initiation while HL2 was his actual, "Mission."

And Gordon is sealed away since he is all cool and stuff.. to prevent age, and to keep his mouth shut. :D

Chook

C
well the whole theroy behind gman being gorden is probly true... think about it
y did the call the game "Half Life" there is a reason behind it gman is gordans second half probly

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jayster said:
well Gman is a mad scientist if i rememebr correct, gordon free man = scientist, i think, that gordon over time went mad, created a time machine, went back in time to help himself correct his mistakes he forgot to do.
Lmao. Like what? Break up with his wicked girlfriend, thus delaying the birth of a child? Or maybe going back to a humiliating scene in his life where he peed himself? Or maybe even going back in time to prevent himself from spilling coke on his keyboard? Or maybe to prevent himself from being late to work at Black Mesa (Refer to the beginning of Half-Life).

Anyway. I think Gman was the 'Boss'. Maybe he owned and ran Black Mesa. He seemed to know his way around it pretty well, since he was always one step ahead. He's just the shady government type of guy put in the game to keep you in suspense. And the end, where he offered you a position, was just to let you know that there would eventually be HL2. I don't think Gman serves any real importance in the game. And as for Gordon being a "pawn", I don't belive that. I think the Gman was just pmsing and hated Gordon (Maybe because of his glasses or something) so he always sealed the room when you were in danger, secretly laughing at you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
Who says the government may be 100% run by humans? Maybe he is jsut a weird nonhuman guy using the best of the best of the best people to help him with tasks, like in Half - Life 1, which was basically Gordon's initiation while HL2 was his actual, "Mission."

And Gordon is sealed away since he is all cool and stuff.. to prevent age, and to keep his mouth shut. :D
if the gman was from earth then he would of went to a greater deal of trouble to stop earth from being turned into a ball of crap by the combine instead of just thawing gordon out to kill breen and liberate city 17

its clear that the rebels contacted the gman and hired gordons services to assist them

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chook said:
well the whole theroy behind gman being gorden is probly true... think about it
y did the call the game "Half Life" there is a reason behind it gman is gordans second half probly
I always figured they used the that name because of its strong association with science, namely radioactive materials (half-life being the amount of time required for a substance to lose half of its mass to radioactive decay). I never considered it any reference to Gordon and GMan.

As for Gman: in HL1, he always struck me as the "power behind the power", the catalyst, if you will. I speculated, way back when, that he was the reason that the sample of whatever it was caused the resonance cascade, for whatever agenda he served. I never really thought more of it until recently, when I got HL2. I may have been completely off, though. Perhaps Gman was a pawn rather than a leader, utilizing a very "common" appearance to do what he needed to in HL1. Other than that, I couldn't speculate any more - he simply doesn't do enough in HL1 or, from what I've seen of it, in HL2 for me to guess any more.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
IF I'm not saying he is but IF Gman is Gordon Freeman then the reason that he MAY keep gordon freeman in this 'prevent age thing' is to either protect gordon for being an alein (IF GMAN IS AN ALIEN) OR Gman just doesn't want another version of 'Gman'

Best answers
Another quick something to note; in the battle against Nihilanth at the end of Half-Life, Nilhilanth would say some pretty ominous stuff, my favorite being, "you are man, he is not man." I had no idea what that meant at the time, and I was too busy trying to stuff rockets down his braincase to really care, but it is very likely he was referring to the GMan. Play through HL and listen to Nihilanth as you fight him, there may be clues in what he says. I remember Nilhilanth saying something about how he(Nihilanth) is a slave too, but I can't remember exactly what he said.

I guess there goes the whole "future Gordon" theory.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its possible that the gman is future gordon but then why would the gman say that gordon reminds him of himself if hes the same person?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It coulda been that he reminded him when he was younger, but if he is I know that he doesn't do the same exact move as Gordon the younger one did. But the same events happend.

Best answers
Amnestometh said:
Lmao. Like what? Break up with his wicked girlfriend, thus delaying the birth of a child? Or maybe going back to a humiliating scene in his life where he peed himself? Or maybe even going back in time to prevent himself from spilling coke on his keyboard? Or maybe to prevent himself from being late to work at Black Mesa (Refer to the beginning of Half-Life).

Anyway. I think Gman was the 'Boss'. Maybe he owned and ran Black Mesa. He seemed to know his way around it pretty well, since he was always one step ahead. He's just the shady government type of guy put in the game to keep you in suspense. And the end, where he offered you a position, was just to let you know that there would eventually be HL2. I don't think Gman serves any real importance in the game. And as for Gordon being a "pawn", I don't belive that. I think the Gman was just pmsing and hated Gordon (Maybe because of his glasses or something) so he always sealed the room when you were in danger, secretly laughing at you.
gman not serving any importance? *spoiler*

if i remember correctly if it wasnt for gman stopping time, gordan would just be a pile of ashes at the end of hl2, he saved his life at the end of the game, as well as him having godlike powers, i think hes the second most important figure in half-life next to gordon

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know Ninalith was a slave didnt you notice those massive rods jammed up his ass.
It is probally controoled by wahtever *sorta spoiler*the doctor was talking to in the vid screen*/sorta spoiler*
-Why does g-man need to controol those he commands. In OpForce, he said that Shepard was just a grunt and locked him up in the plane because the grunt has seen too much. I dont know how Blue Shift whent, but something tells me that barney excaped the clutches of G-man seeing as his only goal probally was only to excape.
-How exactly do you get "ahold" of the g-man to give gorodn to them in order to fight rambo style. The people of the game knew more than we are allowed to. This is due to the fact that gordon is a force trained assassian because of HL1. (he also is a bit vikeing, look deep in steam forums to know what I talk about)
-Is we have established that g-man isnt human. (DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE ****ER WONT DIE) Even Ninlath acknowledges it. And we know that BOTH Ninlath and G-man are parts of a larger conspiracy. Ninlath was controoled by huge rods in his ass. G-man was there to basically take gorodon away from the inpending doom of the cave, somehow he was warned about what exactly would happen. (This is an other note: in HL1, the chamber was a circular cave the exact same way as the area where the resonance cascade happened, and it started and ended on a trian) (they did a similar thing with the knowing that you must go to the citadel to end the game from the start).
-I believe the g-man was sent to find some sort of "special assassian" that would arrive from the garunteed disaster of BlackMesa. He knows the "time" to send and retrieve people. Not only did he make it so goron(the gamer) had the proper training to go through to use it at the citidel. Think about it, if he gave warning all of the citizens would already start attacking the citidel and gordon would have had no weapons nor a clue how to fight those goons. He also sent gordon on a red letter day which means something good happened and they were pretty much off guard incase if anyone(*cough gordon*) started something.
*BIG SPOILER*
-The thing that was controoling the director (the "benifactors") was probally one of the true enemys and you will learn about it next version. Also something tells me you will learn even less(but some what) of g-man's true intentions and his "employer"(most likely from the enemy that you saw there, which he will say that he is just a pawn of an even bigger alien race). Which would open even 1000 times more doors into the theory of g-man.

Theories for the next version:
-One last theory that I would like to put along. (even more SPOILERS) The "super slow teleport" technology will probally turn into some sort of time machine and probally Dr. Kliner will send barney to try to rescue you, but only one person may go back with him. I am assumeing that what he said (infinate universes collideing into each other into one super universe or something) didnt happen and those below survived. This will take gordon out of the g-man's hands and probally make him a bit upset. Which means that you wont only have to answer to the Xen aliens (head crabs water monsters), but you must fight off what the g-man has in store and what the super aliens have in store(aliens in the diffrent universe that he was trying to teleport to at the end) since they are afraid of the one named "Gordon Freeman".
-The super universe thing did happen and g-man has you at his universe for an emergency hold. He is busy talking with his "supervisors" to figure out what to do with him next. Now that his universe is destroyed and he is basically the last of his race, and bieng that gordon is a smart man, he probally will figure out where he is and they will eventually tell him the limited "truth". Once this happenes the g-man does his vague thing again and sends him somewhere for him to do good. This time its to defend "pocket universes" that are bieng ivaded with new aliens.

Anyhoo, its just a couple theories and questions to the whole insident. I would post more questions, but its already tomorrow and I want some sleep :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no no the gman doesnt have gordon in any special universe at all

like the slow teleport the gman is simply teleporting freeman to his next mission at the right speed so he arrives when he should

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"The truth... you can never know the truth..."

I was secretly hoping HL2 would involve more of the Xen and some of the crazy alien stuff from HL1 than everyone was saying it would. From what I've seen, it hasn't. =/

HL3 better be chock-full with answers to the multitude of questions HL1 made and HL2 increased. Hopefully it'll be out in any of our lifetimes.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Robby said:
I have this wacky idea that might fit the story. G-man could be Gordan only older and trying to make him go the other path instead of his own path. Dont get me? Alright then.

Lets say Gordan got *spoilers* through the rock rubble and didnt have to go through RavenHolm?*spoilers*. It could point out that Gman might have used some sort of teleportation device that someone made and went to save his youngerself. And he might have other gadgets with him. So this might have a connection.
that is what i was trying to get at :)

Hibiki said:
if the gman was from earth then he would of went to a greater deal of trouble to stop earth from being turned into a ball of crap by the combine instead of just thawing gordon out to kill breen and liberate city 17

its clear that the rebels contacted the gman and hired gordons services to assist them
Technology, would explain how he can travel back in time, if he wanted to, or spawn aliens from other worlds? or even open a portal.

Hibiki said:
its possible that the gman is future gordon but then why would the gman say that gordon reminds him of himself if hes the same person?
Good point but maybe he said that to confuse us? because it has...lol

Jayster said:
well Gman is a mad scientist if i rememebr correct, gordon free man = scientist, i think, that gordon over time went mad, created a time machine, went back in time to help himself correct his mistakes he forgot to do.
Amnestometh said:

lol and your laughing at me? i think your story kinda clears that up :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jayster said:
Technology, would explain how he can travel back in time, if he wanted to, or spawn aliens from other worlds? or even open a portal.
no i dont think thats the case at all

see the gman wanted the events at black mesa to occur because his "job" was to secure the borderwold xen

which could only be done with the teleporters at black mesa teleporting things to and from xen and when gordon killed the nihilanth he basically stopped half of the xen forces by freeing the vorts

if the gman truely could teleport everywhere at will then i doubt he would of bothered with the black mesa events

and it makes sense to think about it this way

the gman is obviously trading gordons services out to the highest bidder

but what are they bidding with? u cant tell me the gman is interested in money and i doubt the resistance actually has a bunch of 100$ bills in their basement to bid with

what i think the gman trades in is technology the gman can teleport himself around and control time to some extent so its possible he gained this technology from past deals

and the rebels have mastered interdimentional travel which is something we have never seen the gman do un assisted and something that not even the combine have been able to do

so basically the rebels met with the gman and said hey we will trade u a xen emulator for gordon to go free city 17

which would explain why breen did not hire gordons services out because he simply didnt have the chips to barter with

also think about the ending the gman says hes looking at bids that he would not of looked at before thanks to gordons actions one would normally think this is because gordon showed off more of his abilities but what if that wasnt the case what if the gman is now interested in these offers because they are offering technology that he can now use thanks the xen emulator system

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom