Which PC system is better?

Best answers
So i decided to buy a new PC and am wondering, which system to buy: Windows or LINUX?

I prefer windows tho... but i heard that LINUX is good for gaming.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yep, linux is pretty good for gaming, but if ur a beginner, u shouldnt take it, because u should have to do a process, and most of PC-CD labeled games dont even work in linux without buying Cedega emulator..
and btw, linux is free, so u dont need to buy it..

and also, if u take a good linux distro, then u should really keep it as second Os at ur computer, ie. if ur doing some coding etc..

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Linux is a far better OS for security and a home networking device, but it lacks developer support from major game developers. Thus, unless you plan on running dedicated servers for other people to play games on, you will not be playing games on it unless they are extremely old and their source code has been released and recompiled for Linux, or the game is old enough to be emulated stabily on Linux.

Best answers
well anyways i searched the internet a little and found a cheap, good for gaming, programing, etc... windows XP. Thanks for help anyways :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you use linux I suggest you hang around a linux forum or the forum of the distro you use and learn how to use the command line. You will want to remain with windows for the sake of being able to play with games and running certain apps however, so if you want to run both get a 2nd hdd or create a 2nd partition for linux.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to screw around with Linux, get a spare machine (the older it is the more e-wang points you get) and run a distro on it.

You can mess around with virtualization if you don't have a spare computer. Look into VMware or Virtual PC. VMware's a better solution, but their "Workstation" version isn't free.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows FTW...Linux can get screwed up pretty easily, and Macs are just too cramped and tacky.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows..

What the hell?

What kind of question is that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Linux is great for gaming. It's almost as good as Mac.

Best answers
Seems some people have the misconceptions Microsoft gives them. Kinda like the belief that OpenGL is only useful for scientific representations, and no good for gaming.

There is a very large amount of support for Linux machines. I remember going to a site once that showed a list of compatible games, and any game I wanted to play was there, other than Steam-based games. Yeah, that really broke my heart ([/sarcasm])...

Most companies write their engines for both Linux and Windows at the same time. Id Software, and Bioware for example. Neverwinter Nights is Linux-ready (you lose out on the videos, but, the videos aren't worth watching :(), DOOM III is Linux-ready, etc.

When it comes down to performance, I always found I got better performance out of Linux, because of the way their architecture is designed. Regardless, I'm not a fan of Windows or Linux. I use Windows, and I'm not happy or unhappy with that.

The pros and cons:

Windows:

Pros-
-Takes little time to configure, and drivers are readily available for your devices.
-Designed so even an idiot can run it.
-Broader game selection.

Cons-
-Performance is hindered by lots of useless crap.
-Susceptible to viral and spyware attacks.
-Most applications for the nicer functionality cost big bucks.

Linux:

Pros-
-Almost immune to viral and spyware attacks.
-Superior architecture allows for speed improvements.
-Almost all the good software is free.

Cons-
-Only power users can truly use it effectively.
-Even updating a single device can take an hour or more of configuration, and the drivers can be hard to find.
-A smaller game selection, and the free software can sometimes be a liability because it may be lower quality.

These aren't the full monty, perse, when it comes down to pros and cons, but they're the pros and cons for a gamer user, and a simple user. Fortunately some games not natively supported can be run with WinE (Windows Emulator), however, they're not going to run as well, and if they use a Windows-based API, you're probably out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom