whats better a PSP or a DS

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PsP. It can play movies, music, games, be a day planner, all that stuff. Why would you even ask?

Was this a serious question?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I think the DS is the better buy. Sure the PSP can do a bunch of stuff, but you probably already have an mp3 player, and dvd player, and things like that.

To get right to it, I think the DS has much beter games than the PSP. They're more fun, and much more unique, you can get games on the DS that you can't get anywhere else, meanwhile the PSP gets watered down games you've already played on your ps2. Plus it's a lot cheaper. You can get a DS/Mario Kart bundle for $180 Canadian, while a PSP by its lonesome is $300 Canadian.

All in all, with the cheaper price, better games, and more unique diversity amongst its games, i'd say the DS is the better choice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One may be better than the other in certain features and vice versa. You're not going to get a clear answer here, as people will most likely be biased in their choice, including me. I personally like the PSP, but only because of its added 'with the package' multimedia abilities, such as movie viewing, music playing, picture viewing, online ability (while limited). It does have its downfalls, though; the games. While a lot are good, they aren't great YET. The DS is a more of a 'fun game' system, from what I've seen and played. So, while the PSP's graphics are far superior to the DS's, it falls short to actual gameplay, which is what is plaguing the current game market. I'm sure that further down the road, both will come equiped with equally fun and diverse games ;).

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends solely on preference. I'd recommend taking a look at the selection of games on both consoles and draw your conclusion from that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say don't get either. They are both, in my opinion, a waste of money. Save your money for something else.

Best answers
DS if you want it for gaming, PsP if you want a bunch of other stuff and a little bit of gaming. Although neither one has that many good games out yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Handhelds seem to cost a lot of money for games that arent half as amusing as their living room located cousins, the consoles. I think you should buy both, just to boost the economy.

Best answers
I say a PSP is way better cuz it can play games, songs, movies and it can hold pictures too.

Best answers
If you already have a laptop you take everywhere, or an mp3 player, or one of those new-fangled cell phones that take pics and have songs and crap... Well, you don't need a PSP. Because that's the main attraction.

If you DO want that stuff, get a PSP. It has music, obsoleting an mp3 player. It has movies, so for whatever ****ING reason you wanna watch a movie, say in the middle of class. It has SOME pretty good games. Battery life sucks on it, though, because of all these features.

If you want a better game selection and a more unique experience, as well as lots of gaming time, get DS.

Gee, good to know that in spite of your parents shelling out god knows how much money on you only a few weeks ago, you're still willing to shell out some more. Probably their own, still. Don't worry, FrisbeeBlack, he sure is helping the economy.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Handhelds seem to cost a lot of money for games that arent half as amusing as their living room located cousins, the consoles. I think you should buy both, just to boost the economy.
I agree. Get the best of both worlds dude. It's like being bi, but not as crappy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Handhelds are a horrendous waste of money for painfully mediocre gaming experience. But you can look at the list of features and see for yourself, really.

If you want mp3s, good graphics, storage space, and all that other 'computer in your pocket' stuff, or are a fan of the PS2 style games, you could get that.

As for the DS...well I'm not going to talk much about it. All I'm going to say is, it can't do anything but play games, and it's the same types of games Nintendo is always doing. So if you really like those sorts of games it's all good, there's the DS. It really depends what you like.

Smart thing would be to get both, then ebay the one you hate most after you've had them both a bit. That ought to stick it to the man for charging 250-300 bucks for these things. Though if it were me personally I'd see handhelds for the gimmicky POS's they are and never buy one, ever. Not nearly worth three hundred bucks in the long run.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know why people are dissing the battery life so much on the PSP. Mine is fine, really. It lasts long enough for me during the day and until night, even with games. When I get home, it still has ~40-45% battery life, which is plenty for a couple more hours. If you're expecting to play the PSP for 7-8 hours straight, then you need to reevaluate some things, or you just need a car adapter.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pride, handhelds may not give the same gameplay experiences as consoles do, but this is because of the inherent differences between consoles and handhelds. Handhelds are meant to be portable gaming systems, and due to the hardware limitations of the handhelds of today, they can't be expected to deliver the very same graphics, framerate and what have you that consoles can.

So while the experience they offer is obviously not the same; to merely discard them as worthless and a waste of money seems unfair to me. Furthermore, what may be a waste to you may not be a waste to someone else. It's all subjective.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played both of them and currently I own a DS.

I like the PSP, but I don't know how the analog stick is used, and the whole thing us uncomfortable. Plus, most of the games that you play on the PSP is mostly on the PC.

I like the DS alot better. It has unique games for it. The other day I bought Nintendogs, the Duckshud and friends. I thought it was pretty cool and all the stuff you can do to it.

I also like the Pikochat thing, but the only thing I hate doing is registering a account for it and having to go to Mc. Donalds and use their WiFi connection there.

I'd get the DS. =o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSP all the way, You can watch movies on it, play [some] good games(better ones will be released later), play music, go online. And if you search around a bit, you can download homebrew stuff from the internet to make your PSP alot cooler, such as fun little games, a filemanager, a file that turns your PSP into a PDA and [even though a bit illegal] an emulator for the good ol' snes games that we all loved years ago.

-And now for all the comments on the PSP, stop arguing already about the battery life, my PSP can easily play on for 7-8 hours, and you will never play that long. And when you are not playing, you can just recharge your PSP. These days there are also adapters that can fit in your car, so you can also recharge your PSP in your car.
-The PSP is NOT just a mp3-player, it is also a picture viewer and a movie player in one. Tell me, where can you get a 250 dollar high quality movie, game, picture and mp3 player in 1? I don't think you can anywhere unless you buy a PSP.
-Homebrew stuff makes the PSP even better, alot of homebrew isn't illegal and as long as you don't upgrade your PSP past firmware 2.0, you can play homebrew stuff.
-Not all games might be so good on the PSP right now, but the better games are still coming. Also, you shouldn't compare the PSP games with the DS games as they are clearly very different. Both systems have way different capabilities and options, they are too different to compare.
-And not to forget the WiFi internet you can use with the PSP. If you are on vacation, you no longer need to "rent" a PC temporarily to check your email or something, as you can just do this with your PSP if you find a hotspot.

And even now the PSP has some great classics:

-Burnout legends (for the race fans.)
-SOCOM (for the shooter fans)
-Wipeout Pure (for even more race fans)
-GTA:LCS (for the GTA fans)
-Prince of Persia (for the PoP fans.)

And also very good upcoming games such as:

-Breath of Fire III
-A Final Fantasy VII Spin off
-A second GTA game
-Metal Gear Acid II
-A new Metal Gear game in the making (Hideo Kojima said it has some unique feature that only the PSP can do)
-Splinter Cell

For the true playstation fans, this should be more than enough to buy a PSP. Playstation has always been a kind of...Multi media device, that's why the Playstation 2 was capable of playing music and DVD's and games as well.

Now, I'm not denying the PSP has it's flaws, but you can't deny that the DS has some flaws too. Everything has flaws, nothing is perfect.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, but you can install a hack to your DS that makes it watch movies also, heck, you can put the GBA SP rechargable batteries to it. Rawr. =O

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I own both and play my DS everyday, my PSP has a nice protective layer of dust on it since i haven't used it since i bought it in july. but everyone is different, my ipod and laptop makes the extra functions on the psp worthless and the games i can just pick up on one of my other 3 consols where they run and look better. I am just hoping something good comes out for it soon

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got both, sold the DS after getting sick of kiddy games. If you shop well for the PSP there are some real winners out there, i currently reccomend Pursuit force, that game bloody owns for a handheld experiance.

Wat

Best answers
Not like it matters to any of the people on here -- I know how you guys are -- but the DS is, at the moment, a far superior system for games (and my system of choice) If you care to understand why I feel like I feel, keep reading. But you might want to get a snack first.

The games aren't ports of games we've all played to death by now; excepting Lumines, I haven't seen any original PSP games (maybe you guys have and can name a few?). Nintendo has been an innovation company forever -- the games are fun to play, and appeal to gamers of all ages. The "kiddy" argument is probably the most nonsensical I've ever heard; just because a game is content-safe for children doesn't mean that the game won't be deep enough to appeal to thinking players.

The wireless on the DS is surprisingly intuitive and fast, both on WiFi and with local wireless. I'm not sure how many PSP owners have wireless routers and have configured theirs for internet connectivity, but the "almost-a-cellphone" on-screen keyboard is annoying. Period. Whereas the PSP decided on a clunky-feeling interface to input text similar to a cell phone (multiple button presses), the DS gives something that ought to feel more familiar -- a keyboard. Tap the button, get a letter. It works. But I will say that the PSP has better options for network configuration; if you know about configuring a wireless network, you should know about the different protocols. The DS is locked to using WEP protocol or an open access point -- both of which are rather dangerous -- while the PSP is able to use many more (I don't have a list, I've only configured one a few times) protocols. Like I mentioned, though, the downside would be that the PSP, with all of its options, is counter-intuitive to actually use all of the protocols, because the keys take forever to input (think alphanumeric passwords upwards of 20 characters that are difficult to memorize on a phone with a dying battery).

Before I got a DS, I'd thought that touching was a gimmick. I still think it is, but it's a useful gimmick. It's extremely well-done in the games I've played (must...buy...Castlevania...) -- thus far, I've collected Meteos, Animal Crossing, Tony Hawk, and Mario Kart. Meteos and Animal Crossing are strict touch-screen games -- and they're comfortable. Mario Kart and Tony Hawk are mainly D-Pad/button games, though Tony Hawk has the "freak-out" (...) and Mario Kart's got custom emblems, which become many times easier to use when you can scribble.

The battery lives are about the same -- My DS battery will live for about 9 hours, the PSP for about 7-8. It's not really noticeable, and I actually prefer a particular feature of the PSP that was curiously not included with the DS, which is a battery meter. If you haven't played a DS...instead of knowing when your battery's going to die, it shuts off. Maybe there's something here that I'm not seeing (I have difficulty seeing some colors, so if the light changes, please tell me) -- but that can get awkward; however, the games are much better about my next point on the DS.

Memory. The DS uses cart saves. The PSP, already about 3 times the cost of a DS (or is it closer to 2-2 1/2 now?), uses memory cards, similar to a camera. For the extra money spent, you get [something like] a 32MB memory stick. But who, of the PSP owners here, is still using that stick? Did you upgrade your firmware yet? Because the upgrade itself takes about 15MB of that space as soon as it's downloaded. The DS doesn't make you worry about memory management, and it feels like it's meant to pick up, play a bit, and get on with your life.

Speaking of life, the DS is ready. The DS, like [nearly?] all Nintendo products, is extremely durable. Like the Gamecube, you can chuck the DS through a window into a bird's nest, watch it fall out of the tree, hit every branch, and pick it up and continue without even getting lapped (Mario Kart). I don't recommend it, of course, because it has an LCD screen, but the idea is that you can. You could continue using the system, and it would most likely play games as if nothing had happened at all. The PSP feels generally fragile. The old PSP commercial with the teens throwing it around to each other makes me laugh a little bit every time I see/think about it because a friend made a joke about someone dropping it and losing $300.

The DS is less expensive. I nearly said cheaper, but the system feels, like I just said, durable and ready-to-use. It's also, admit it or not, very powerful for being so compact. If you told me the PSP was more powerful, I'd probably believe you; it's a Sony product, and I expect power for the extra cost. But the DS remains competitive for a much, much lower price. On top of that, and this will probably go completely ignored, the DS has actually made sales. Over 10 million have been sold to customers worldwide (this is important -- often information in sales is released as "number of units sold to retailers"). [Here I would post PSP sales info, but it's hard to find. I'm curious about why.]

March 20, 2005. Metroid Prime: Hunters. Handheld + Free Wireless Internet + Hotspots wherever you can find a McDonald's + Shooter = Yes. If you read only this part of this omglong post, please -- reply to it. I'd like to know what the PSP people want to do when the mad popularity of Metroid goes online for free with control like a PC mouse.

Other stuff:
Music, Media*. Yes, the PSP can receive and play music from podcasts. I'm not a big music person, this doesn't appeal very much to me. Yes, the PSP has video releases practically daily; but these aren't DVDs. If you're buying a PSP only to view movies, you must be a drifter -- because the UMD movies will play in the PSP. That's all. Oh, and maybe a media center. So, instead of paying $100 to buy a portable DVD player that holds real DVDs, of which there are many more available than UMD movies, that you can share with friends who don't have a computer/have a computer that is so terrible that watching a movie would be unheard-of, you decide to pay the same price for a movie that you plan to watch once or twice by yourself, annoyed by people looking over your shoulder. Please.

Browser. Oh man, I wish the DS had a browser. I understand that Nintendo has gone to great lengths to protect children from being exposed to mature content or being taken advantage of over the internet (they might even be easily-identifiable; the DS has a built-in microphone, and will probably have [optional] VoIP with newer WiFi games). But I don't wish for the slow, ineffective PSP browser. If I'm at home, I'm going to use one of the computers. If I'm not at home, I'll probably just go home and use one of the computers, or go to a library. Total time would be about the same.

Cool factor. PSP has it here -- the system is sleek and beautiful. The DS is ugly. I'm OK with that. If looks are the deciding factor in your decision anyway, you should just buy a PSP. Ignore everything else. The gameplay isn't what matters at that point, it's just the eyecandy. Buy yourself an Xbox 360, too. Or ask your parents to. And pre-order the PS3. And buy a $600 video card, with all the prettiest features. Etc.

Wireless. DS has this. WiFi is fun. So what if I can't convince that hot asian chick to be my roommate in Animal Crossing? I can still school her at some Mario Kart (...ok, actually, I suck at Mario Kart.). After Mario Kart launched, almost immediately 48% of the people who has purchased the game were playing online. Worldwide. For free. Even Halo 2, after it's launch, only saw under 20% of the people who had purchased the game with unique IDs online. With the McDonald's hotspot deal in place, the DS's WiFi has nowhere to go but up for quite a few years. And...well, Pokemon. The game easily lends itself already (in single-player) to an MMO style of play; there's lots of grinding, lots of battling, and lots of trading. It doesn't really matter if you don't like Pokemon -- because when the games launch, and probably connect with the Revolution, online battling, trading, and chat are all on, and if you're not, you'll just get left out.

This reply constitutes "too long". If anyone responds to this and tells me they haven't read all of it, I'm actually OK with that. But keep in mind that if you respond with any harsh, idiot criticism and haven't read it, I'm going to take it for what it is -- not a damned thing.

And yes, I'm already prepared for the "omgyouwwrong!!!" replies. If you really want to flame me because my well-informed and calculated reply is "wrong", just go ahead and post it in this thread so you can get modded to BanLand. I don't have time for you in private.

* People act like the DS can't play any music -- it can, but it's a bit more difficult. Because the lines of piracy and legal homebrew activity are sometimes confusing, I'll just mention GBA carts, Flash ROMs, and MP3s. Figure out the rest. And yes, it's legal, though Nintendo may not be excited about it. The total cash spent on getting a DS and getting it to play music is only a little less than a PSP. I'm not doing it, because I already own an MP3-CD player, but I'm aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom