What to do with our dear forum

What should be done with the corrupted forum?

• Revert to a backup and lose new posts since the move

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Start fresh with a whole new forum

Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
something like cb.NET did by putting all threads in one Sub-Forum: Old Forum???
and make it read only? well, kinda like idea, just it is bad that ALL threads from forum going in one subforum is kinda WOW MESS!

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we start fresh there might be an issue archiving the old forum. harSens brought up a good point during our meeting that our VB license might not cover two instances of the forum being run at once.

Does anyone know offhand what the license says?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
something like cb.NET did by putting all threads in one Sub-Forum: Old Forum???
and make it read only? well, kinda like idea, just it is bad that ALL threads from forum going in one subforum is kinda WOW MESS!
not a bad idea, if its a last resort anyways.

if you tried hard enough you could still find what you wanted via searching.

not too knowledgeable on forum licenses and the like though, so im not 100% sure if this dodges that problem though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm for starting fresh. Hell, you should purge everything and only keep the most important posts/stickies. And that you should back-up to a Word Document or HTML page or something and just re-post it when the new forums come up. Losing 6 years of history is a bummer, but it isn't the end of the world.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we start fresh there might be an issue archiving the old forum. harSens brought up a good point during our meeting that our VB license might not cover two instances of the forum being run at once.

I'm fairly sure we could offload and convert the forum to another db software like phpBB or something similar.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fairly sure we could offload and convert the forum to another db software like phpBB or something similar.
Somehow I think that's a good idea. I've seen vBulletin forums crash and go offline on multiple occasions, not just ESF. However, I've never seen the same happen to a phpBB or Invision forum. I know vBulletin has its advantages, but tbh, from the point of view of a normal registered user, there really isn't much difference except the looks.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Somehow I think that's a good idea. I've seen vBulletin forums crash and go offline on multiple occasions, not just ESF. However, I've never seen the same happen to a phpBB or Invision forum. I know vBulletin has its advantages, but tbh, from the point of view of a normal registered user, there really isn't much difference except the looks.
Yeah but there's a major difference in terms of functionality. Having used all three, I can say vBulletin is by far the best. It has a few quirks, but nothing that updates can't fix, really.

There's been one major, and two minor patches for vBulletin since we last updated these boards, so maybe it's time to update again?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So....how about we try updating, if that ****s up the forum even more (if that is possible), we can always purge it and make a new forum, whether it's phpBB, vBulletin or Invision.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kind of like Lukyas idea. Perhaps this will take A LOT of time, but maybe, the administrators can go through each thread one by one and delete each useless thread, and keep the ones that they may think is useful, and archive them. To be honest, I say rename the currect forum folder to /forumarchives/ and install a fresh version on /forum/. It would also be wonderful to bring back some of the old skins to the forums, or at least have more than one skin you can choose from.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I say rename the currect forum folder to /forumarchives/ and install a fresh version on /forum/
I said that in the previous page, but Mastasurf replied:

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, since you've already bought VB.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say start fresh and the read-only forum idea sounds nice, might actually work.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, since you've already bought VB.
Buying a "forum" is one thing, but the amount of licenses you have is a different story.

IMA WHALE URGLEURGLEURGLE
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
how about Wiping all topics and saving account information, if that was possible i think most people would be happy because I personally like to see when people joined and how many posts they have.. as well as keeping the ban list for those naughty people..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom