Web Design Help...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok...now this is going to probably come out rude at some spots so let me just start by saying that I don't actually mean it that way in the slightest.

Okay...so...while I was in college I learned some simple html. Enough to create simple, stupid webpages. The way I was taught, was to make a folder (I keep mine on the desktop, usually), and then make a text file, write the code, save as html, etc. etc.

Later on, I began to use programs, obviously, but not WYSIWYG progs, just like...stuff to make coding HTML more sensible (like Textpad 4.6 and some other pretty helpful HTML multiple-file editors with preview features). Then I learned about CSS and my life has never been the same.

But I am confused about one thing. Even though I make pretty good designs, and I went to school for this ****...no offense meant here, but I see a lot of everyday schmucks that just suddenly have these massive php-scripted websites with pretty good graphics and stuff. Generally the content sucks, including things like spelling, grammar, etc., but they have like...real DNS entries (not stupid redirect services like cjb.net, which is what I've been using for like two years).

I want to start learning PHP. The problem is, I don't want to turn my current computer into a server with Apache, then create databases and do all the testing and stuff on here, and learn PHP once I get it all working on my personal PC...because right now I upload to my Comcast webspace and then use a redirect service to link to the page (usually Cjb.net). My comcast webspace doesn't support php. I haven't even looked into things like Perl or ASP, because I think I'd prefer php--it seems to work the best, from what I've read anyways...i could be wrong, but that's besides the point.

I want to know where all these people just pull servers, php news page scripts, login screens, perfectly aligned layouts, and Domain names out of. Cause...well I'm trying to start a business with some friends, and honestly, it would help me a lot if I knew how exactly it is that any joe schmoe can have an awesome site (assuming of course that they don't botch the menus, layouts, etc).

Can anyone tell me how people just seem to get all this stuff without even trying? I'm particularly interested in the PHP part--because it would be a great feature for me to offer if I could give people sites with php scripts that say, allowed them to drop a file named like "news01" into a certainf older, and it automatically put the contents into a formatted news bullet using PHP, etc. etc.

Well in general I'd like to know how it seems so easy for your average...well, most they're young kids, come to think of it--way too young to have already gone to college like I did. I'd like to know how they just pull this stuff out of thin air, it seems like.

Although any web design tips would be greatly appreciated, in general.

[EDIT: is it possible that this is all related to a WYSIWIG editor of sorts, cause I haven't even bothered to look at ANY of them...not even the box they come in. lol]

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the way I'm gonna guess it's pre-made scripts. There are plenty of news scripts floating around. My guess is that most of these kids don't make any of these scripts, they just download them or rip them from other sites...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the thing is, I've looked around. Is it really that possible? I've seen plenty but wouldn't they STILL need webspace that supports php scripting, and my guess is that none of them pay for it...and that also doesn't answer the domain name questions either.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I know there are alot of cheap web-hosting agencies that allow PHP, my friend has an Anime site that uses PHP and he has a .com domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom