Water found on Saturns moon

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
It's important because it's proof, albeit small, that there CAN BE life on other planets.
I dislike this human way of thinking.

Why does every other planet have to follow Earth's rules? Water =/= Life.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said... it IS interesting. But it doesn't affect any of us right now. Hence the reason I don't find arguing the value of this information very constructive.
I'm not impressed because it isn't affecting the way we live life today. Maybe in the future, when our grand kids are alive, we might, or maybe worry.
its that same way of thinking that is destroying our one and only planet

Why does every other planet have to follow Earth's rules? Water =/= Life

it doesnt meant they do but it is true that WE live off of water, although another organism could very possily survive in -250 degrees and live off of liquid hydrogen we already have proof that organisms already CAN live off of water. thats why its a good discovery

I bet you guys wouldn't be impressed if we were able to detect Black Holes...
well we can in a way but its not very concrete, they blast x-rays off into a possible direction of a black hole and it bounces back and shows the different energy relays

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Black holes have yet to be discovered, we only have evidence that they might exist, plus Einstein's theory of general relativity says that black holes can exist.

DaRkOwNs pretty much explained why finding water on Enceladus is a big discovery: "We already have proof that organisms already can live off of water". Sure there are organisms that can live off of other things, but we know for a fact that there are organisms that can live off of water (humans for example) so that increases the chances of discovering organisms that lived off of water on Enceladus.

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
Not caring about what is affecting you now is kinda like not carring about the national debt (for the americans), the natural resource consumption, or global warming because you think you won't be alive to experience it.
Well no, that much I DO care about because I know I WILL be alive to experience it.

We know about there being water somewhere... Now what? Argue about its meaning? I don't see the point, is all.

CM said:
Why does every other planet have to follow Earth's rules? Water =/= Life.
Water = possible carbon-based life, actually. We would likely not fair well with non-carbon based lifeforms.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
well we can in a way but its not very concrete, they blast x-rays off into a possible direction of a black hole and it bounces back and shows the different energy relays
We can only detect the effects of blackholes. I've never heard of blasting out x-rays, so I'll look into that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Black holes have yet to be discovered, we only have evidence that they might exist, plus Einstein's theory of general relativity says that black holes can exist.
Actually, some have been discovered.
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/bh_obsv.html

As you can see in the second picture, that image is a black hole. If something has 3 billion times the gravity of our sun, there is no way light can escape from that (or any other planets for that matter) thus there is proof black holes exist.

Anyway, even though some of you might disagree, finding water instead of ice is very impressive. It shows there is a chance of possible humanoid life on other planets (humanoid, as in, people like us.). But I still stand by my point that water is not nessecary (sp?) for life. There might be other life that does not need water, oxygen, nitrogen or anything that we need to survive.

Best answers
Assuming there is water supporting life on another planet, there's no guarantee it's humanoid. Dogs are not humanoid, but they need water.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
Actually, some have been discovered.
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/bh_obsv.html

As you can see in the second picture, that image is a black hole. If something has 3 billion times the gravity of our sun, there is no way light can escape from that (or any other planets for that matter) thus there is proof black holes exist.
We can only detect the effects of blackholes. We can't see it with any form of device so we look for signs of its presence. We knew they existed before we were even able to detect them thanks to Eisenstein.

http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/ast162_6/notes26.html
^Site on detecting blackholes.

Finding liquid water doesn't mean we're going to find humanoid life <_<. It just means there is a high probability of liquid water existing on extrasolar terrestrial planets, and that may contribute to the evolution of simple life on that planet and possibly intelligent life. Lets not jump the gun here o_O.

Best answers
Am I the only one who thinks we should first fully discover our own earth before venturing into space? I mean.. More than half of the submarine world hasn't been discovered yet..

I find all of this a waste of money, I for one don't give a damn about water on some distant planet, or black holes somewhere in that black "nothing" we call space.. I do, however, give a damn about poluted water on this earth.. I give a damn about the hole in our very own atmosphere..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Am I the only one who thinks we should first fully discover our own earth before venturing into space? I mean.. More than half of the submarine world hasn't been discovered yet..

I find all of this a waste of money, I for one don't give a damn about water on some distant planet, or black holes somewhere in that black "nothing" we call space.. I do, however, give a damn about poluted water on this earth.. I give a damn about the hole in our very own atmosphere..
That's nice, and you have your opinion. I, on the other hand, am fascinated by discoveries like this. I think it's incredible that there might be life on other planets in our very own solar system, which was made evident on Mars.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:

You give a damn? Then do something about it. Stop using fossil fuels. Stop using everything. Help find a new source of energy. Then invent something that allows everything to run on this new source of energy. Save us Superman, because we aren't willing to save ourselves. Wanna know why we haven't tried to explore the entire ocean? Because we can't. We don't have the technology to go to every niche in the ocean searching for Godzilla. Why is space so important to us? Military applications. We wouldn't waste our time there otherwise. But since we're already in space, we might as well become involved with something much larger than ourselves, our planet, our solar system, and even our galaxy. We're multitasking.

Best answers
Is it up to me alone to do all that? I am in fact trying to do my best to be kind with nature.. I never ever use a car, eventhough I have my driver's licence, I recycle and keep all my garbage seperated so it's easier to recycle, I always throw my garbage in the bin, if there isn't a bin near, I put it in a bag and take it home to throw it away there.

New energy source? Isn't wind and solar energy enough? 2-3 windmills provide enough electricity to keep a whole industrialpark running.. It's pointless for me to go and change the world, I realise that.. I'll never find a new energy source, nor shall I fix the polution, I realise that.. If I had godly powers, I'd change that all, but I haven't..

And no, it's not multitasking, it's just finding a new home while nobody of importance gives a **** about this earth.. I for one hope they never find a new planet that can support our lifeforms, I hope that people one day will realise how important this piece of dirt is/was, and I truely hope that everybody will realise that they wasted money on space-discovery, while it should have been spent on mechanisms and systems to keep nature as clean as possible..

I know that we can't fully heal and clean this planet, but we can stop all of this, if only more people would see this..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We're not finding a new home. If we were trying to, we'd be focusing on trying to build bases on OUR moon rather than look at Saturn's moons. We're aren't looking for extrasolar terrestrial planets so we can move there -_-. We have no way of getting there so that idea is out the window. We're trying to answer the most important question I can think of: "Are we alone?".

I understand your hippy mentality and I think we should all hug trees, but face it. No one wants to give up their conveniences. I like having a car. I like having electricity and my computer and a tv and all that other good stuff. Unfortunately, most people have Wolf Devil's mentality: "If it doesn't affect me now, it doesn't matter."

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I find this discovery to be pretty amazing too. I like facts and things about space.

Oh, and if the universe is infinite then there will definitely be life on other planets. Merely by odds.

Just one thing though, it was mentioned earlier about "destroying" our planet and healing it and the such. We are in no way destroying our planet. The only thing that would be destroyed is mankind (and other life but not all). The Earth has survived much worse and shall continue to do so. What we are doing is speeding up the coming of the next Ice Age (which was guessed as only being ~2000 years away without being sped up).

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Universe isn't infinite, but 40 billion galaxies should be enough room for intelligent life to evolve.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
Oh, and if the universe is infinite then there will definitely be life on other planets. Merely by odds.
By logic, the universe is not infinite. But I guess mankind will never know, we simply can't advance fast enought to figure it out.

Edit: Lol I see Zeonix beat me to it ^^

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Just ever so slightly enough. :p

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix, stop bashing the thread, now.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll e-smack you so hard you'll achieve super luminal speeds and prove we live in a multilayered universe -_-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom