Warhammer 40k: Anybody play it here?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I seriously doubt it, but does anybody here play Warhammer 40k (the tabletop version)? I recently started collecting Space Marines and had a couple of games with my friends, it's actually really awesome!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont game anymore but still have a nice glass cabinet full of imperial guard o:

Best answers
hmmm I want to start it,because I have tested it on an evening at friends house,I tested necron and chaos,it was quite nice but the whole rulebook is a pain.Some Fractions(like Necron) have so much "Special" rules.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, there is a lot to understand. But it tends to get easier as time goes on. Reading the rulebook really helped me, it was the only rulebook I ever read cover to cover.

A good starting race, if you don't want a lot of complications, are the necrons. They are very limited but very powerful, so since there isn't a lot of customization, they are very easy to keep track of.

@Muffin: You could probably sell that online for a pretty nice chunk of change, if you were in a pinch.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i am poor i suppose, but the sheer amount of hours i spent painting and gaming them down at the nottingham HQ makes me feel it'd be a waste. not to mention its somthing pretty to fill up space on the wall

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a pretty Necron army, but I don't play anymore because everybody I used to play with more or less quitted. I'll have to get into it again some day.
My monolith and the warriors look awesome :D

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warhammer 40k is for nerds! NERDS!

..Excuse me while I go back to Dawn of War.

(..Yay Dark Eldar.)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Err, what's Warhammer 40k? I've heard of it, but never had it explained to me. Isn't it like D&D or something?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually it's very different. I'll explain, for those who don't know:

Warhammer 40,000 is a futuristic tabletop wargame, which revolves around hobby modeling. Basically, you command several squads that you purchased based on a pre-determined points scale (my army, for example, is a thousand points). Though you put the individual troops together using very detailed plastic and metal model kits, they are very customizable, and depending what you equip each model with, they can do different things.

Different hero characters and vehicles are also available, as well as many upgrades fro all units. The game has rules detailing shooting (including missiles, mine fields, super-heavy weapons, etc.), close combat (including stuff like chainsaw swords), and morale (if a squad gets its ass kicked it will actually run away, sometimes retreating out of the game entirely).

40k is home to the most adrenal, brutality-fueled sci-fi backstory I've ever seen. Basically, it's the 41st millenium and humankind has changed severely in the time between now and then; we're religious zealots hell-bent on crusading and eliminating those would prevent our empire from prospering, giving our lives in service to the crusades of the immortal Emperor, a being so revered that the entire earth has been converted into a technological throne to hold his debilitated body.

40k is gothic-inspired, but it has a great slew of races and conflicts raging, and some of the best sci-fi storylines ever, far as I'm concerned. There are the Necrons, an ancient race of silent, stalking skeleton-machines who can nearly never die; the Space Marines, massively genetically augmented supersoldiers of the Imperium of Man; the Tyranids, which are basically a much more vicious and grim version of the Zerg; the Eldar, a race of graceful humanoids who once ruled the stars and now are nearer to extinction then ruling the galaxy; the Chaos Marines, who are space marines tainted by demonic energies from a subconscious space of malice-filled thought called the Warp; and of course, the Orks--a race bred solely for battle, complete with comically poor technology and aussie/brogue accents.

Spawned from this hobby/tabletop game are the PC Game series Dawn of War, so if you ever are interested in seeing the game firsthand you can download demos of the PC game and its expansions from fileplanet.

Warhammer 40k (and its fantasy counterpart) are actually the key inspiration behind legendary video game franchises Warcraft and Starcraft, respectively. It's almost too obvious when you look at the two--and that's coming from a Warcraft fan, heh.

Best answers
http://www.games-workshop.com/ here are infos + shop + other fancy stuff

I like the Warhammer/40k universe so much because of the good background story and the differences between the subcultures of the fractions;),but it gets expensive when you want to play real big battles.I've once seen a 10.000 points battle between Tyranids and Chaos,quite interesting and long lasting.

Dawn of War is nice,too.My favourite RTS of all time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One cool thing about WH40k that's worth mentioning is that they have these huge store-run worldwide tournaments sometimes...they even have a magazine filled with battle reports and stuff. The results of the tournaments can actually influence the overall storyline.

There's some really cool stuff on wikipedia about the game's backstory; for models and such, the games workshop website will show you everything you need to know.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
aye, the main HQ is a mere mile away from me, there games days has hundreds of gameing/conversion/painting tables as well as the many golden demon events, but i loved the legendary minature gallery, art gallery and best of all the dwarvern themed tavern with various real scale space marine / orc statues dotted about the place.

then one of the white dwarf editors from there romped up to me shouting about the imperial fists are cool because "there in yellow leotards pwning aliens rarrgh" while he was trying to get ideas to write for the new lysander model

I stopped going after then D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like seeing the custom models that people rig up in the books.

i have a few squads of misc. stuff but i never played 40k.

i played mordheim or whatever its called at the local hobby store/warhammer supplier place but thats about it. its fun, but i'm not much of a roll the dice and hope you win person.

i had one orc berserker unit or something kill like 2 squads of enemy units simply because they didnt roll well enough, and i had 2 weapons, and 2 counter attacks, so i slaughtered them

its basicly like

roll to see if you hit

roll to see if you wound

roll to see how bad you wounded

its cool though, i want to go buy some paints and a tau set just to paint it and see how it looks.

i have abunch of ork stuff though

and the legion of the damned and salamander squads for marines

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'm just getting into it, honestly. But the more I learn the more it sucks me in. I think the Emperor is like, the coolest character ever conceived.

I would LOVE a scaled Space Marine statue....

A lot of my friends whine that the models are more expensive then they should be, but that's cause he used to do Star Trek models. I tried to explain it to him, that he's not just paying for the models but also for the stats, but he still insists that they should be about 1/3 of their current prices.

Trying to think of some good vehicles to supplement my army, but it seems like it's in my best interest to just stick with troops, since the average Space Marine is a monstrous adversary in the first place.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like to get into it, but as your friend mentioned, the prices do seem a bit too high. Call me picky but I'd rather have metal figurines that'll last me than plastic ones that may be somewhat less expensive, but taking either road leads to hundreds of dollars for one acceptably outfitted army. One of these days when my income scales up I might start investing.

Of all the factions I like the 'heroic' space marines too devout for doubt the most.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, the plastic models are often of higher quality then the metallic ones. The plastics can be bonded better with different glues, including one that literally melts the plastic so that it becomes an actual solid piece. I have had nightmarish trouble with metal models, only certain glues will hold them acceptably and even then, it's a gamble. One of mine fell over while I was painting him and his arms broke off and I basically ruined him because of it.

I think the plastics have much more realism and detail, too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used to play, back in junior high. I still have my army of Dark Eldar in a drawer somewhere. They were fun to paint, and games with them were alright, but **** were they ever expensive! I think each guy was something like $3 if you bought them in pack. I went to a hobby shop the other day to see if I could get some just to paint, but they wanted something like $5 per guy ($25 for a squad of 5 marines). Don't get me wrong, they're fun to paint, but there is no way in hell that I'm paying that much for tiny plastic miniatures.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, the plastic models are often of higher quality then the metallic ones. The plastics can be bonded better with different glues, including one that literally melts the plastic so that it becomes an actual solid piece. I have had nightmarish trouble with metal models, only certain glues will hold them acceptably and even then, it's a gamble. One of mine fell over while I was painting him and his arms broke off and I basically ruined him because of it.

I think the plastics have much more realism and detail, too.
yeah...

the metal ones seem to be more of a pain.

like for instance, if you have a bigger model like a vehicle or big unit out of metal, you often aften you use some retarded super bonding agent that becomes a large chunk of stone extruding from the model.

or, you have to take a drill and "pin" the pieces together

the plastic ones are easier to work with, plus the metal ones bend ~

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My friend's the same way. I rationalize it by pointing out that we're paying for the units' stats, not just the model. I guess if you want them just to paint they are overpriced as hell.

Try bwbits.com. They have a lot of good sets for less money...lots of spare parts, too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
idk some of the bigger boxed sets are fair priced for squads

like 30-40 bucks for around 15 or 20 so guys isnt bad

but i've been out of the business for a long time so prices might of changed

you got any pics of the emperor saiyan i wanna see some cool warhammer art

sounds neat, i never really got much into the whole lore of it. just what i read in my ork book,

orks like... are spawned from spores, released from other orks in combat

and the eldar are just like super techniological psychic aliens arent they?

the tau are the only race i really knew much about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom