Want to increase your performance of ESF???

Best answers
Ok, this trick is only for Windows XP users, so sorry :( YOu can do this on other operating systems, I'm only explaining it for those users howerver. Also I only advise this if you have 20 GB or more left on your computer, as this takes up from 1GB to 4GB to do. Anyways, it doesnt just improve the performance of ESF, it improves the performance for all your games. Also

Go to Start -> Then COntrol Panel -> Performance and Maintanance -> Under Pick a task...adjust visual effects

You'll see at the bottom theres something for Virtual memory. Click the tab that says change.
Now, the thing is, decide how much mbs you want to give up to increase the performance. Make sure you select custom size, or it won't work. I selected 4096 mb (the max). Decide according to your own computer. Note that it's also in mb so one GB is 1000 mb. Place that amount in both the inital and max sizes then hit set. Then close the tab and hit apply. You may have to reset your computer. And bam! Increased gamming performance.

Now, what does Virtual memory do? Well it acts as extra ram. This makes your computer run faster. This doubles or even triples the speed you can run programs.

My computer stats:

128 MB Ram
80 GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 420
Windows XP
1.0 Ghz Intel Celeron

With this enabled I can run games that normally require 256 MB ram and 512 MB RAM. I have never had a problem running ESF nor any other game for that matter. I have the detail graphics set to their highest even for multiplayer and it's still awsome. I dso that for all my games. No crashes no nothing. When I host a game, people can use Gohan's Sheild and discs cause they don't crash my server, even if they get stuck in the air.

So if you have 500 MB or 4 GB to waste on this...it's worth it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just did this and it has made my comp run way much faster! thanx dude!

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I may wait a bit to hear some more testimonials on this. Last time I tried messing with Virtual Memory, I really screwed things up. But I'll try it eventually if I hear a lot of good things about it

Best answers
It only really helps if you are trying to run a lot of things at once with not a whole lot of RAM to start with. For example, Jarrstin, you say you have 126MB of RAM running under Windows XP. XP uses about 90~ MB of RAM, so you only have about 50MB to work with, not nearly enough for pretty much any non-DOS game. Setting aside a chunk of HD space for Vmem is a good idea.

But, if you have say 512MB like most people who build gaming rigs, the Vmem isn't going to do you much good. Even if XP does shave 90MB off your availiable RAM, you still have a good 320MB left, which is enough to load an entire half of a one CD game. The only games out where a crapload of RAM is needed are MMORPGs because players are constantly coming in and out of your viewable range, and each player has a slightly different configuration. All those configs are going to fill up your RAM in a heartbeat, and thats when you MAYBE want to give yourself a little more Vmem headroom.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually if you have higher amounts of ram like 500+ or 1000+ meg your performance may actually drop if you boost virtual memory. Turning it off altogether wouldn't even hurt you if you had over a gig if you weren't trying to overload your CPU with tons of ram-abusing programs. 99% of the time memory is accessed more quickly from ram than it is from your CPU, and the only time that virtual memory will improve performance is when you just simply do not have enough memory to run your programs and therefore rely on your computer to create swap files that load into your memory after your memory has finished dumping its last load of data.

Best answers
Setting a fixed amount of virtual memory can indeed speed your computer up quite a bit, mainly because windows doesn't need to resize it constantly. If you defragment after doing this, your virtual memory can get into one block on your harddisk, instead of being scattered all over it, increasing speed a bit more.

However, if you set your virtual memory to a fixed size that is too small, you can run into some strange problems, sometimes even crashing your computer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Put it in the old XP view not in the old fashion view since most people do that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am not gonna trie this it may bust my ram.
Can it bust yur ram??

I have 512 DDR so isn't that enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom