Violent Video Game Effects Linger in Brain

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/41054/Violent_Video_Game_Effects_Linger_in_Brain

Once more, people are trying to prove that video games are the root of all violence in our youth. I gotta say, this is pretty stupid. They should try the same tests on someone who watches a violent movie, or reads a violent book. Hell, they should test people using all types of genres. It's our mind that immerses us in video games, books, and movies and makes that our reality at that time so of course there will be some immediate effects. To say that video games make the youth raged antisocial killing machines is asinine. Yes, some people may behave violently because of video games, but I bet those same impressionable people would also react that way to other violent mediums.

Best answers
Yes, it's the video games. Of course. Why didn't we figure this out sooner?!

I just wonder, what video games were the Nazis playing? And what about the video games that the christians and catholics played during the inquisition and the crusades?

Because, of course, science has once again proven that video games is the source of evil! (/sarcasm)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simple answers for simple questions:

1) Wolfenstein
2) The same game the Muslims played during their Jihad: Mickey Mania.

People are constantly looking for scapegoats and videogames are easy prey. The problem isn't videogames or movies or what we see on the television. The problem comes from the lack of proper parenting. In my opinion, from the end of WW2 and on, parents have been getting worse and worse in terms of teaching their children moral values and have been far too nice or far too horrible to their children. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground anymore.

Best answers
On the bright side, it was clarified recently that SPANKING does NOT violate the charter of rights. Still can't beat the ever loving crap out of your kids, but you can spank 'em when they misbehave.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitler for example was very violent, did he play too much Doom or Wolfenstein in his youth? Wait...those didn't even exist in that time. This is just a load of bullcrap, and I'm not even going to bother reading that article.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't approve of hitting your kids considering I've been on the receiving end of such punishment many a time. While it might be effective when trying to show a kid that killing animals or hurting people or mooning everyone they see is wrong, it shouldn't be used for stupid things such as children crying or not doing what you say exactly as you say it. Then again, you shouldn't give your children too much control since they're constantly testing your boundaries. This is a concept most modern parents fail to understand. They usually choose between the light and dark sides and forget that Luke Skywalker used both.

Hitler was a victim of bad parenting and was probably schizophrenic (which probably resulted from the bad parenting). I saw a case study on the psychology behind Hitler and, although I think Freud was an idiot, they used his teachings to map out Hitler pretty well and there was evidence to support most of their claims. But again, Wolfenstein must have really ****ed him up.

Last time I checked (or accidentally saw...), violence has been going downhill ever since the inception of video games. It gives us an outlet to relieve ourselves of some kinds of emotions and allows us to indulge in fantasies we would otherwise not indulge in (or fantasies that some might actually realize, like killing people you meet in bars and then cutting them up for dinner).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go figure that something as interactive and mentally challenging as video games could have an effect on the brain that lingers. I would have thought that such intense concentration would have had no effect at all... /sarcasm

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
well all it takes is to throw your child in a scalding hot bathtub and they won't act up anymore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well all it takes is to throw your child in a scalding hot bathtub and they won't act up anymore.
...what with thier skin peeling off and all, I would expect not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great, another "study."

I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees though... kinda preaching to the choir, heh.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't worry. I'm sending this thread to the UN. We will be heard. They have nothing to do with this, but we will be heard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually recently here in Boston there has been a sudden outrage because of Grand Theft Auto ads on the MBTA train lines.

A series of high ranking local politicians and activists sent a 'cease and decist' letter to the head of the MBTA that these violent ads should be taken down.

THe ads in question show only a characters face and the name of the game.

I have been listening to uneducated ****head after uneducated ****head talk about GTA like they've played the whole series. A literal quote: "The ads are for Grand Theft Auto, a game where you kill hookers and steal their money." The paper even went so far as to INTERVIEW ACTUAL HOOKERS about it.

They fail to mention that it is equally possible to exercise, to drive an ambulance and save lives, or to even cooperate with police.

By this logic am I not just as likely to go out and play baseball after a round of MLB 2k7? Am I not just as likely to start a middle class family, get a job, and find an apartment in a cozy suburb after playing the Sims? Will I try to start a zoo after playing Zoo Tycoon?

Honestly. These studies. They are almost always paid for by the people who want these exact answers. We need to stand up as a group, we need to let our voice be heard soon or we're going to become the next group to have our civil rights to game stripped away.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After I played Doom I started the columbine shooting, it was because I played a video game. Not because everyone in school was picking on me.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We're all just preaching to the choir. It may sound cruel, but once the current generation who is in control starts to die off, this crap will cease to happen. It happens with every generation.

Btw, that analogy owned Zeo.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, they'll die off and then we'll be in power and then 2012 rolls around and the Mayans come back and destroy us.

The UN must hear of the great Mayan threat and how to stop them. If they outlaw violent games and other violent mediums, we might as well just give up. Or fight. Fight until they're all dead.

You know, it isn't really the politicians we need to convince. It's the parents. Unfortunately, the parents being convinced by these politicians that these games have been sent by Satan are the same kinds of people that appear in the documentary "Jesus Camp". Sub might be right. We might have to wait until the ruling class is dead or out of office.

We might even have to accelerate the process *wink* *wink*. You know...send them flowers a little early...make some of them cement boots...*wink* *wink*

Im saying we should kill them before they do us anymore harm.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well even jokingly threatening to kill people is the sort of thing these political lapdogs cite as evidence to our allegedly problematic psyches.

What we need is someone to stand up in our name and promote the truth, on these scumbags' turf.

You know, comic books were treated equally as horribly as games are today. It wasn't until Stan Lee--who else?--decided to considerably disobey some fo the innumerable harsh edicts on comic books that the fight finally shifted to the creative people's side. That's what we need--someone with some basis in reality.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wasn't kidding, Pride. My men are on stand-by. The Scarlett Letter made me do it. I hate Hawthorne with the burning of a million suns.

We need some super religious guy to support our cause. Once that happens, it'll be easier for that person to sway others' opinions.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Our study suggests that playing a certain type of violent video game may have different short-term effects on brain function than playing a nonviolent, but exciting, game,"
Wait wait wait... So you're telling me, that playing Counter-Strike has different short-term effects on the brain than playing Tetris? O RLY?!

Thank god for scientists.

Best answers
I don't think games cause violence. I do, however, think games like Bully, GTA (3+), Postal, etc (about any "omfg i r gangstah lol i r shoot ppl do drugs go to hookers yaaaay") should be banned, just because they fail and only count on the 'shockfactor'.. Without this shockfactor, the games would blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom