ummm.... yea

Best answers
hey i have a big time question for all the people out there that are huge computer freaks witch know like..... everything about computers. ok here we go then. My friend has a compaq pc and he wanted to reinstall windows xp with the cd i had but it was only for dell computers (which i have). so he went and tryed to install it on his compaqe but then everything froze up and know it doesnt work at all anymore. When we try starting his pc it askes for the cd but then it freezes again and if were lucky we sometimes get to the login screen but then it askes that the adminastrator has to allow us to login. We cant do this because windows isnt installed all the way. so it is all a big mess know. So i was wondering if we got a cd with Windows Xp that will work for any system and try reinstalling it again? or get a cd wich is only for compaqe computers and try that?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't heard a proprietary CD. I think the problem is that you can only register windows Xp to one user per disc. It could have checked with Microsoft and just not let you boot all the way. Get another legitimate copy of windows XP (I don't know of any compaq only versions but you shouldn't need one anyway), transfer any data you need off of the old hard drive using another computer, format it, and install the fresh version of windows. That would be my suggestion if you can't find some way to uninstall the version of Windows XP you were in the process of uninstalling when it froze up.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
An OEM disk might have a specific registry hash/key that can't be used on different computers. MSs OOBE timer is pretty good at catching little tricks like HD swaps and the like, so a massive system change would make it worse.

In addition, XP is very difficult to install on older machines, specifically those with VIA chipsets, that could easily corrupt an installation. Moreover, Win XP doesn't like other microsoft OSes loaded on the same hard drive or IDE channel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
these are recover CDs ... they check if it's the right computer ... cause this cd was bought with your computer ... this means this PC is running with this windows ... and because you got only one license, you're not allowed to share this CD ... so they check if it's this PC
same happend with my Nero ... I bought a cd burner with nero ... and when I tried to update someone Nero, it checked if the bought burner is inside ... so it canceled the installation

I suggest to reinstall his old system he had, or to buy WinXP ... these bought versions are for every PC

Best answers
thanks to all of you for the help ill try each idea to see if it works. well on the Windows XP cd that i got with my dell computer it says that it Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer(dont know why he didnt read that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom