UEFI - Bios replacement

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/04/swedish-website-tries-out-sandy-bridge-motherboard-with-bios-rep/

We haven't heard a ton about the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (or UEFI for short) since a rumor cropped up back in June suggesting that MSI would be introducing it on its Sandy Bridge motherboards, but Swedish website SweClockers has now actually gotten it hands on a motherboard with working version of the BIOS-replacing firmware, and delivered our first real look at it. The biggest difference, as you can see, is a significantly more user-friendly interface, but there's also a few other considerable advantages over a standard BIOS, including faster boot times and the ability to boot from drives bigger than 2TB. Head on past the break to check it out in action, in Swedish.
[video=youtube;LLhzHPnM-2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhzHPnM-2k[/video]

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I'm wondering how they have loaded the graphical and mouse drivers, prior to the boot.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well I'm Swedish and I understood every word..want me to give a short summary?

1. Short intro to what UEFI is, successor to the popular and used BIOS. A lot of focus around it recently and it will be used thoroughly with the new generation of Intel-processors.
2. Jumps right in, and gives a hint that the motherboard-producers can to a greater degree implement their own software now. The one that they use is from ASUS. You can now use a mouse (doesn't explain how) and go into different setups/views. The first one is the simple one, where you can easily switch between powersaving, normal or the optimal. All the changes are done automatically and you don't have to do anything. A nice little drag & drop way of changing the boot priority and a few drop down panels that give you a little more options.
3. A more advanced view, more like the old BIOS. Works almost the same, but with updated graphics and a bit more options. You have different menus. Like the AI-tweaker where you can overclock processors and change clock frequencies (directly translated). So a quick summary of all menus is that is "more or less the same as you are used to when using BIOS". Check fan, temperature and other things.
4. Under the Boot menu you have some more options where you now can directly boot from a drive without going into different menus/settings and such.
5. Lastly there are some utilities like the ASUS flash utility which you can use to update "BIOS", you can easily pick which drive or USB sticks which version you want to update to.
6. Outro, quick review. UEFI brings some nice new solutions and it will be exciting to see further development. Sweclockers will be there to cover it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom