Ubisoft claims "95% of PC gamers are pirates"

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The CEO of games giant Ubisoft has revealed an interesting parallel in the company’s business models. Speaking at Gamescom this week, Yves Guillemot said that around 95% of players of the company’s boxed PC games are pirates. Equally, of all players of the company’s free-to-play games who can voluntarily part with cash to obtain a better experience, 95% choose not to pay a dime. Nevertheless, the latter model can be a great opportunity to beat piracy.
http://torrentfreak.com/ubisoft-pc-...tm_campaign=Feed:+Torrentfreak+(Torrentfreak)

Wow.

Ubisoft...ugh. You just launched Uplay and pull this?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently they haven't seen Steam Sales.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You might want to rephrase that.
They didn't say 95% of PC gamers are pirates. They are talking about their own games.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, what I got out of the article is, Ubisoft is gonna start using hidden and convenience charges in games for their new F2P model?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well what do you expect when you treat your customers like crap by making them deal with more problems when they actually BUY your games because of the horrendous DRM you keep putting in your games.
I mean FFFS, yes 3 f's not two, this guy, your customer could not for the life of him make a video of your game because of your DRM. I repeat he could not advertise your bloody product and get people to play your game because of your DRM.

Viewer discretion is advised he gets pissed off and uses a somewhat inappropriate language, so don't go mental on me!

http://youtu.be/NEE6pKv1VdM

I mean seriously after this, the fact that every A.C. game since A.C. 2, if I'm not mistaken, got inexplicably delayed for no goddamn reason on the PC, oh wait there was a reason, to put DRM in them, what in the world of sweet FFFS with 3 f's do you expect people to do. You basically provoke them by putting thicker and thicker walls in a futile attempt to stop a pirate. It's impossible. All they see in your pathetic wall is a challenge, something to keep them busy, so without a doubt they will go out of their way to crack the living **** out of your games. So they don't suffer at all. Your customers on the other hand feel as if they got ripped off.

Well at least that's what I would tell them, JEEZ dev's like these that for the most part create such good games, but that are so retarded when it comes to dealing with their customers make me wanna smash my head on a piano and make out of tune piano sounds while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will admit, I pirate

But I buy a hell of alot more games then I download. Most of the games I do download are older and no longer available retail.
Alot of the time I will pirate to try (Sins of a solar empire is a recent example) in most of the cases is that there is not a demo

But game companies act like there aren't hacked xbox's wii's and ps3's out there.
There are plenty of console pirates out there. Piracy is not a PC only issue

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
But game companies act like there aren't hacked xbox's wii's and ps3's out there.
To that I would like to add something that Totalbiscuit has always said:
Piracy is a service problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To that I would like to add something that Totalbiscuit has always said:
Piracy is a service problem. Nothing more, nothing less.
He is not the only one who says that. And i agree. The only reason why i would download a game is because there are no decent demos or vids of it. Though i generally try to boycott Ubisoft titles because of their DRM all together.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I would assume that some piracy would not be there if publishers allowed for some trial period on their games, and up to a certain point. I know that games may not be capital goods, but they still make a hole in my pocket. I also use piracy, to figure out if I like/dislike a game before purchasing it.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I would assume that some piracy would not be there if publishers allowed for some trial period on their games, and up to a certain point. I know that games may not be capital goods, but they still make a hole in my pocket. I also use piracy, to figure out if I like/dislike a game before purchasing it.
They tried doing that before, remember them time limited demos that we're being released at one time? I cant remember specific titles but I remember them being cracked so you can play with no limits... Probably easiest to crack if they did that :p. Would be like them trainers that stop the time in time constraint missions in certain games...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will admit, I pirate

But I buy a hell of alot more games then I download. Most of the games I do download are older and no longer available retail.
Alot of the time I will pirate to try (Sins of a solar empire is a recent example) in most of the cases is that there is not a demo

I agree. The only games I will pirate are games I bought for older systems.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DRM is clearly pointless if I can download anything I want anyway, including WoW and Diablo 3.

Nothing is un-hackable, people prove it time and time again. They should stop wasting money on it and make games cheaper.

Cheaper RRP is the best way to stop a pirate

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol Australian term?

Recommended Retail Price

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree, 60 bucks for a game is really pushing it imo. That's 6 hours of working for me, man.

40 to 50 is about a good price, depending on the production quality of the game.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
And if they want to make more money out of 1 game than they shouldn't do anual releases...
I mean i loved bf2, ruined bf3 and now anual releases of the series... gf that.

i'm not going to pay 50 euros for a game i would play like a week.
I wouldn't mind paying 100 euros for a game like battlefield 2 was back in 2005 that i played till bf3 got released.

Also why are there more pirates on the pc than on the consoles?
Just because you can on the pc...
As simple as pressing the download button, copying a few files and boom a full game for free.
try that with ps3. Need to mod the thing and hope not to break it :p

And yes as mentioned above cheaper = more sales, watch steam.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I agree, 60 bucks for a game is really pushing it imo. That's 6 hours of working for me, man.
You think that is a lot. Try coming here, where a game is worth almost half of the lowest monthly salary.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sorry, I don't know where you live, man.
My point is the Game prices are not set so that they have a reasonable price in every country. For example in most of Europe except the UK the price is measured in euros, so for most AAA titles the price is 50 euros if I'm not mistaken. However in our currency 50 euros = half of the lowest monthly salary. Which is just ludicrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom