do u like doom3?

• yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KyoKusanagi

K
i installed doom 3 and didn't think much of it - hopefully some good mods come out of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[Sigh]...It was only a matter of time.

I can understand folks not liking it, but people make it out as if it was the worst game they ever played and that's just retarded.

Best answers
^I'll agree with that. While it had it's flaws, it certainly wasn't a crap game. Sounds like everyone just got on the "hate doom 3" band wagon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's all well and good saying that, but for those of us who payed money and bought the game with high expectations couldn't help but feel slightly screwed over. It's not the worst game ever, that goes to Army Men 3D and nobody will ever take that away from it.

It was just dissapointing, considering what it was following, how long it took and the competition.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But what were people expecting? They didn't break any promises...they gave exactly what they advertised. And I bought it with high expectations and was plenty satisfied.

Best answers
Well doom games arent my style, i would like some kind of story or maybe an rpg element in it lol
I wont give 50 euro's to get this only to admire the graphics and get some mods. Id rather wait 5 years and get it for 10 (like i did with hl :D ) plus get good mods.
Anyway, i cant see the fun in roaming in scary places slaying scary creeps. Graphics aint anything.
Because they gave people exactly what they advertised means that we should like it? I think not. Everyone has his own definition of "crap games" and for me doom3 falls in that category. Doom wagons?? wtf lol.

P.S. I dont think im a retard (at least not yet)

Best answers
For me, it was a slight dissappointment. This is only because of the multiplayer. Deathmatch gets old and boring after a few minutes. Yeah, the engine is amazing, the graphics are insane, and the single player was brilliant. The game right now is not installed, but since the SDK was just released, I'd keep my eye out on some really great mods coming to it. Eventually.

Best answers
I like it. The imps look to weird though...and i hate what they did with hell knights. but i like it.

Best answers
meh, its alright, the very beginning is very very cool, graphics r insane, but l8r on in the game, its...lacking. Also, the guns rnt very fun to use...

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Short answer no.

SaiyanPrideXIX said:
But what were people expecting? They didn't break any promises...they gave exactly what they advertised. And I bought it with high expectations and was plenty satisfied.
(Bit of a rant but it's my response to this query as to why I act all disappointed when anybody asks me about it)

They said the gameplay would be like Doom 1 and it wasn't. It was creeping around in the dark (Always, always dark) with Doom like enemies thrown in. It delivered most of what it advertised (pretty graphics / eerie setting) but it just wasn't $55 worth of any of it, especially considering how crappy the multiplayer is (incredibly painful on FPS + small crappy maps). Sure it'll get mods but compared to most games I didn't find the single player game super entertaining or replayable (I don't want to play through it again), it had physics it didn't utilize at all (havok physics, even max payne 2 took some advantage of those physics), and I found the "OMG IT'S AN IMP OUT OF NOWHERE" bit old by the time I was through the sixth or seventh level.

For $55 you got an extended trip through a very pretty (when you could see it) fun house with Doom 3 with an anticlimactic ending and less story/AI. For $50 you can get a fun physics demo with a story and brand new state of the art AI and fascial expression system in Half Life 2, with a source port of Counter Strike (for those of you who like it) free along with it. For another $10 (putting it $5 over Doom 3's $55) you also get DoD:S (for those who like WW2 games) and Half Life Source, which is essentially what Doom 3 tried to advertise as being to Doom 1; the same game with very updated graphics, a new engine, and the same feel.

But alright, Half Life 2 is special. Well other games in the past like System Shock 2 had pretty graphics, *and* original and compelling gameplay. Same goes for Deus Ex, which had an intense story that was somewhat customized after your playing style as well as unique gameplay. Games like far cry try to do what every other FPS has done but do it a little better and have really pretty but huge enviornments to move around in. Doom 3 was just a cramped, dark, pretty game with a lot of cheap scare tactics around every corner and an occasional genuin scariness. Also note that it was in development for how many years? A long time... and with time comes high expectations, expectations that you'll exceed what you've advertised or do it better than anybody before you, which I don't feel they did. It just wasn't a $55 game to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They said the gameplay would be like Doom 1 and it wasn't.
But that's what everyone is *****ing about, that it wasn't unique! I can understand people not liking it but again this whole "it wasn't worth paying for" bit is just beyond me.

Gamers have turned into real brats. Seems to me that they rarely if ever appreciate anything.

I'm sick of all this talk about Far Cry like it was some brilliant game that game out of nowhere. They basically said "Hey, let's do something with so much foliage it'll swallow gigs and gigs of video ram, and then we'll call it state of the art." Command and Conquer Generals chokes some computers if you crank the sprites amount high enough, too. Just because it eats up all the video ram with water and foliage doesn't make it brilliant. In fact it's the exact inverse of what everyone complains about in doom (the cramped environments).

Going back to the gaemplay comment...I really don't see how you can complain that it was nothing like Doom 1. If it was, then maybe all this talk of the game being a rehash POS might be making more sense to me. But I saw:

1.) Monsters spawning suddenly
2.) Huge guns
3.) Very little third party interaction (HL1 style, where the guy never reacts or anything).
4.) Imps, zombies, cacodemons, cyberdemons, visceral shotgun-toting combat

It looks like it was an awful lot like Doom 1, in my estimation. The only difference was they slowed down the pace, gave it a story (you must be one of those people who never played back the PDAs), some top notch voice acting and some thought went into the level design...throw in a few scripted sequences and the flashlight angle to scare the crap out of people, and voila--Doom 3 is served.

I still don't get the HL2 arguments, too. Why does it have to be one or the other? They're both good, why can't people just give credit for that? I also don't like that people get on the whole dissing of the engine bit. When you put havok physics in place, and then say, "Hey, let's have a gun that throws stuff so we can show off the physics engine," that...well...let's just say that is a very cut and dry Gabe Newell suggestion. :0\

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really see how you can say Doom3 was like the original Doom, Pride..
Doom was a rampage shoot'em'up with alien/demons, about powerups, keys and simple dungeons. Simple and fun.

Doom 3 was a horror-type game, which tried to scare you, and it did, if you played it right, but unfortunately there wasn't enough "variety" for many people. It was anything but a Rehash. Walking through a corridor and things spawning behind you two hundred times got boring.

You saw:
1-monsters spawning, but not usually huge groups of them
2-Big weapons, most of which had severely limited ammo (in tune with the "Horror Survival setting, another thing unlike Doom)

Doom 3 wasn't a big dissapointment, because I wasn't expecting overly great things from it. I enjoyed Doom, and Doom 2, but I knew going into it that Doom 3 was going to be a survival horror-type game, but I certainly wasn't expecting exactly what I got.

It really wasn't worth my fifty dollars.. Especially since the Multiplayer isn't very fun. The sad thing is, Doom and Doom 2 will probably be remembered for decades, but Doom 3 will only be remembered in the "super-delayed, over-hyped, mediocre finished" category. As for HL2.. Again, I didn't really like Half-Life--single player, or multiplayer. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 were far better than the mindless slaying of small, unrealistic monsters in an underground supercomplex.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PDAs were pretty sub-par for a "story," it was more like a... wait for it... collection of random PDA emails people sent to each other, all of which just happen to have bits and piece of information relevant to why hell broke lose but it didn't do very much to pull you into the game besides make you go "Oh. That's why such and such happened." In Doom 1 you didn't care, you were there to shoot stuff that came out on all sides of you. Doom 1 wasn't as dark (thankfully) and had more action in it. The voice acting in Doom 3 is all but wasted (few situations where you actually hear voices and when you do they're usually saying something like "John, I don't like these chainsaws" or "Steven, I changed your door code to 4525, let's have lunch." Also, on a brand new engine, with havok physics and the opportunity to code in some killer devious enemy AI, nothing happens. Wow I can shoot beekers, the oportunities are endless. Furthermore, every single enemy aside from the "soldiers" just run at you or move around mindlessly and fire at you at whatever their rate of fire is, and the soldiers aren't exactly gems either. You can use the excuse (like everybody else) "Oh they're just demons they don't need AI" but it's just that, an excuse to waste all of that time without touching any AI programming.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It seems to me that it was left in the dark ages (excuse the pun) before the FPS genre started really evolving. If you have low expectations of a game and you buy it and it's mediocre, does that make you happy because it reached your expectations? The Dooms were the games of their time, but Doom3 has been left behind, outstripped by better games, some of which were released before Doom3 itself.

The story wasn't great, and I wasn't aware of this grand physics system that Sonic's talking about seeing as it rarely presented itself. Obviously everyones got their own oppinions, and I thought it sucked. There I said it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
The PDAs were pretty sub-par for a "story," it was more like a... wait for it... collection of random PDA emails people sent to each other, all of which just happen to have bits and piece of information relevant to why hell broke lose but it didn't do very much to pull you into the game besides make you go "Oh. That's why such and such happened." In Doom 1 you didn't care, you were there to shoot stuff that came out on all sides of you. Doom 1 wasn't as dark (thankfully) and had more action in it. The voice acting in Doom 3 is all but wasted (few situations where you actually hear voices and when you do they're usually saying something like "John, I don't like these chainsaws" or "Steven, I changed your door code to 4525, let's have lunch." Also, on a brand new engine, with havok physics and the opportunity to code in some killer devious enemy AI, nothing happens. Wow I can shoot beekers, the oportunities are endless. Furthermore, every single enemy aside from the "soldiers" just run at you or move around mindlessly and fire at you at whatever their rate of fire is, and the soldiers aren't exactly gems either. You can use the excuse (like everybody else) "Oh they're just demons they don't need AI" but it's just that, an excuse to waste all of that time without touching any AI programming.
Are you trying to tell me that John Carmack, who built a whole new engine for ****s and giggles not once, not twice, but three times in his company's history, singlehandedly revolutionized graphical interfaces as we know them...was "too lazy" to program an AI? And what the **** would you have them do? "Flank" you? Well, when one spawns in and attacks you in front while another comes at you from another side...that's flanking. What do you want, to see them do military planning? Flush you out with grenades? (soldiers do that, on occasion, only the stronger ones though). I mean, what do you want them to do? Write a ****ing battle strategy in front of you? Operation Shock and Awe?

I never met a smart enemy in any game in my life. I also haven't died very often in a single player fps. Sometimes enemies duck; sometimes they run and hide when they're health is low; sometimes they have two attacks, maybe even a third. But I never met a smart one. To say that they were too lazy to do it is retarded; John Carmack invented the concept of advanced AI in games like Quake II, where enemies would duck, sidestep, hide, and attack more intelligently. But did it ever occur to you that these things are guttural ****ing animals, here? Have you ever attacked an animal? Do you know what it does? It ****ing tries to bite your face off, that's what it does. Kick a dog in the stomach and it is going to try and kill you. It isn't going to get together with it's fellow dogs and discuss a combat strategy, or try to bite you in a more sensitive place. You can say there's no AI, but don't even go to the length of calling them lazy when the man has singlehandedly revolutionized modern computer gaming technologies on countless occasions, AND when he made THE FIRST EXAMPLES OF INTELLIGENT AI IN ALL OF GAMING.

MAYBE he just thought, "these things are animals." Maybe they said, "wow, this is stupid, animals formulating military combat strategy." Do you even KNOW a military combat strategy? They're actually pretty basic. I refer back to my flanking example: spawning in behind you while you are busy with someone in front of you counts as that. Would it make you feel better if they just rescripted those sequences to make them spawn in invisibly and quietly, to simulate the enemy supposedly stalking it's kill? Cause I'm sure someone can make a mod that does that.

I mean seriously. I can understand not liking it, but for christ's sake, talking about it like it's the worst game you've ever played and calling the level of work put into it lazy is just biased and bull****.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can tell that Doom 3 had a lot of work put into it. However, I simply didn't like it. It wasn't anything like Doom or Doom 2, and I personally didn't find the game fun, or the story compelling.

Anybody who insults the amount of work gone into Doom 3 obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

But I didn't really see anybody saying that. Games no longer have standards as low as they were in the original Doom days--which is probably why they tried to change Doom in a big way, unfortunately the change wasn't what most people liked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can tell that Doom 3 had a lot of work put into it. However, I simply didn't like it. It wasn't anything like Doom or Doom 2, and I personally didn't find the game fun, or the story compelling.
See now, this, I can TOTALLY understand. Like how you said you didn't find the story compelling...note, she acknowledged that there was one. Sure it was minimal but acting like it was inexistent--then complaining it's not enough like the Old doom, which had NONE at ALL--makes no sense to me.

I find it fascinating that people complain that this game was not enough like old Doom, yet then simultaneously ***** at the lack of story. There is an underlying plot there, it's not bare bones, but some people seem to talk like they made some models and some maps and were like, here you go (cough cough Painkiller cough).

I can see people feeling the way YOU feel, Alea. It's just one of those games--you either think it was the best or the worst. I just get downright offended when people diss on Carmack when--if one gives it some thought, at least--the man is almost singlehandedly responsible for 3D computer gaming as a whole evolving past Doom at all.

Let's look at the guy's list of credits, eh?
- Multiplayer
- Deathmatch
- Mouselook
- The 3D Gaming Fundamentals of models+maps
- Dynamic lighting (Quake 2)
- The Quake II engine is what pushed the whole 3D market onto the map with the fact that it could play but was much more awesome with a Voodoo card
- Mods (Doom was the first game that was moddable through it's wad loading command line system)
- The First Person Shooter
- First ever real time light and shadow engine
- The first AI (Quake II)
- The engine on which this undying beast known as Half-Life 1 was created
- Quake III Engine, one of the most versatile and high performance engines ever made
- Bump mapping (he didn't invent this one, but he perfected it to the point where he was able to use it in the entire engine instead of momentary circumstances)

I mean...calling him and his team lazy is just insulting.

I don't mind people saying they don't like it, but making biased, uneducated commentary on it like its a completely effortless POS is just something I have a hard time coping with.

Best answers
the reason why people hate it so mych is because it died after doom2,people know you cant do a 3d doom it would never had the same spirit as doom1 or doom 2

Best answers
SayainPride is ANGRY ON THE INTERNET!!!

Doom 3 was fun for what it was, but no matter how you try to rationalize it, the AI was bland, the gameplay was bland, the story was bland and the scares were bland.

Intelligent Imps or possesed commandos wouldn't be TOO big a strain on "reality", would it? I mean, they aren't genuises or anything, but giving them more complex cognitive abilities than just "RAWR KILL!!!!" would have given the game sorely needed depth.

As for gameplay, it needed to be either faster or slower; it's mediocre plod with no emphasis on either reflexes or strategy was just boring and FAR too easy. Why even get scared when something jumps out when I know I can just circle strafe and shoot until the beast is dead ad nausaeum?

id seems to think the ideal way to tell a story is to make you read a PDA. Yeah.

I wasn't scared once the entire game. Things jumping out from the dark when the whole frickin screen is dark just isn't scary. It's also very easy to tell when you are about to get a "scare"; every part of an area but the one the monster jumps out into will be dark, so you are focused on that when it makes it's entrance. The scares follow a formula that just isn't, well, scary.

Also, thier COMPLETE lack of use of thier physics system is something to rag on. They could have put some nice tension building scenes in the game using falling object physics, but the most you ever really get out of it is objects jittering around when you shoot them. Yipee.

Look, the game was gorgeous and somewhat entertaining, but it definitely wasn't what it could have been. To say otherwise would show a pretty big bias towards id.

EDIT: By the way, I don't see why you couldn't mix the fast gameplay of Doom 1 + 2 with a decent story and atmosphere with a little bit of effort.

Also I completely agree with you about Far Cry, it was sub par for the same reasons Halo and Doom 3 were sub par.

EDIT 2:

VVV Could you elaborate? VVV

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can see your points Abe, but I don't know one fps where you DON'T do any of those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom