Tutorial: How to Brush

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well since I think some of you want to make sigs. So u go to Photoshop throw some filters over each other, go to the esf forums, show off ur sig and then u only get flamed on how bad it is…

Well in this case you might want to learn a advance sig technique…which is called…Brushing…doesn’t that word sound sweet? =P
Offcourse most people don’t know how to brush so im going to learn ya a simple brush technique
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHOTOSHOP 7.0 TUTORIAL

First if you don’t have any grunge brushes or sumthing, go to http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?p=526837#post526837
to see some sites for grunge brushes (and other types too)

Then just download them and place them in a map(don’t put them IN Photoshop since that will only make the loading time of Photoshop longer =S)

Well lets start =)

1.Open up Photoshop, and make a new file, choose whatever size for your sig that you want, it doesn’t matter that much. For my sig I will be using 350X70 pixels
2.Press D to reset your colours to Black(foreground Colour) and White(Background colour)
3.Go to your filter tab, and search for the Clouds filter, press it and if everything goes well, your sig should now be filled with “clouds”

4. If you didn’t change anything in your photoshop, in the right-upper corner there should be a small text saying “Brush”(im not sure since I have the dutch photoshop) Click it, and a screen should popup, next to the word Brush there should be a small arrow, click that arrow, If everything is going alright another screen should popup, in that screen search for the words “Replace Brush” or sumthing, click it and then you should be able to chose your (downloaded) brush. Choose the brush you want and then go back to the original brush screen.
5.(Make sure you have the brush tool selected so you can chose a brush.) On this brush screen press the brush you want to use, make sure this brush isn’t THAT big, make it about…250 pixels(use the slider under the brush selection screen)

6.Make a new layer(I thought it was Ctrl+Shift+N)
7.Now something important you should NEVER forget, you should not keep you mouse button pressed (unless you try to make stuff like pixy dust )while brushing just tap it on various places. Now take your brush and TAP gently (don’t hurt the brush =O) on your cloud sig, a few times, not to much, since it will look UUUUGLY >.<

7.well…now u may say…”But man….that looks ugly, that is no nice sig o.o” HAVE PATIENCE…we will come to the better part…
8.now go to your layer panel and press the blending menu, choose Soft Light.
9.now repeat this a few times, make a new layer, add brushes (use different brushes, and sizes on each layer), set blending mode to Soft Light, do this about…=\ 5 times…depends on how dark or light u want the sig..
This is how it COULD look now (since everyone may use different brushes)

10.Well now u probly think its to dark but we will fix it in this step, choose a new brush that you want to use and press X, if the “X” part worked, It should now have switched the foreground colour and the background colour (so make sure the foreground colour is WHITE now)
11.again, make a new layer, tap the brush gently, and set the blending mode to Soft Light
12. well that’s it, this is your brushed sig. You can save this and use it with some text OR…go on to the optional steps…

OPTIONAL STEPS

Ah so u chose to make your sig even more nice eh? Ok…

Optional 1: Coloring

13.Well this is something that went weird with me…we will now colorize the sig,
there are 2 ways to do this…the boring way is pressing CTRL+U and check the colorize button and use the sliding bars to come up with something, the other way is more advanced but can also look far more nicer…
14.this is a bit hard for me, since I have the dutch version. Go to Image>adjustments and if im right, chose Colorbalance, go to High Lights and slide with the sliders, see if the color of your sig changed, if not then u have the same problem as me (which I didn’t have at first but I do now o_O), to fix it, you cannot edit your old layers anymore so be sure everything is ok. Go to layer>merge all layers. Now go to the Colorbalance thing again. Go to High lights and Sliiide it away, I made mine all yellow…

15.Then go to MidTones and change the bars to colorize your sig further, I made mine purple, so I now have a mix of yellow and purple…you can also go to Shadows if you want but I didn’t do it this time…I was to bored =P, there you go, you colorized your sig =)

Optional 2: The power of Gaussian Blur

16.So you want to change more about your sig? Well this is a small optional tutorial that can change the effects of your sigs GREATLY. Go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur
17. Set the Gaussian blur on…2.5, 3.5…depends on whatever you want, I myself will use 2.0
18. yes I know, ur sig looks ugly now that its blurred, we will fix it in this step…Go to Edit>fade Gaussian blur, set the % on 100, and mess with the blending modes to come up with something you like, whether its dark or fairy like, that’s your own taste, I myself will use Mutliply since im just a fan of really REALLY dark sigs…that’s it you now master the power of a simple Gaussian blur, note: you can also use other blur types
My ending:

Optional 3: The simple black border…

19.this is a really simple thing, but I still like it, make sure your foreground colour is BLACK(press X again if you want), make a new layer, press ctrl+a and go to edit>stroke
use a 1 pixel black stroke… you can also use the marquee tool to make a second black border inside the sig.

For a view of this sig technique….see my sigs =O

Well that’s it, I hope you liked it, and if you make any sigs with this tutorial, please show me your ending =)

And...im off, i gotta keep my hand in cold water...they are burned from all this typing =O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hoood!
Thanks man! i will try it out right now! Its betta then all the other stuuufuf!
Really nice!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a decent tutorial it's not the best i've seen but it definately could use soem improvement.. :D Keep an eye open for something special from me soon :D

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey it was just a quick 15 minute tutorial, tho i wrote it really fast, with this tutorial u can atleast understand a few basics of brushing X_x didnt want to make it too hard, since the outcome is still pretty good...

Best answers
OMG Sicron this is a great tutorial...but could u tell us or me how can I make an animated siggy?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i would love too, but i wonder my self as well how to do that >.< i cant seem to do it either

Best answers
loooooooooooooooooooooooool......maybe If I ask King Vegeta or weres_waren or wathever his name is I bet he could do one...cuz I remember that he made some animated sigs

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
make an animated siggy with adobe image ready (combined with photoshop) its basically a gif file, you just put in which frames you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom