Transforming Message

Best answers
nge said:
Simple fix- add a variable, say "cl_autohelp x" whereas setting "x" to "1" turns it on and "x" to "0" turns it off. This way, one can turn on the auto help which could do many things. It could explain when you select a beam attack how to use it via a small text box, explain how to use melee when you select it the same way. It can explain how to transform when your PL is high enough, and how to fly when you spawn, etc. Basically, it'd be an ingame FAQ that answers basic questions as the player plays the game rather than praying they read the manual. Have it set to "1" by default, and have it explain how to turn it off as well. It'd be a nice fix and explain to a lot of people some of the more confusing aspects to the newer player.

I like the renaming idea, it could very well be confusing to a player who hasn't tried the game yet.
basically just took my suggestion and made it more meaningfull gj :]
I have to agree, cl_autohelp is a noobs best friend

nge

Best answers
If you'd like, I'll repost this as its own thread in order to bring more attention to the idea. I'm not sure if posting an idea derived off of another idea is against the rules or not though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's basically the same idea with a cvar option and a (imo useless) little expansion, i'm sure the team still read it so there's no need for a second thread really. I don't think you need help for beam charging, i've never seen a thread saying 'how do I use beams?', yet the 'how do I transform' threads still keep coming because it's not very obvious, both in-game and in the controls menu.

nge

Best answers
Well, haven't you ever played with some newbie and you hear his Goku going "ka-ka-ka-k-kame-ka-k-k-ka-ka" because he's trying to click quickly with Kamehameha selected. Half the reason newbies stick to ki-blast is because they don't know how to do anything else.

Having a cvar is pretty useful in my opinion- I mean, even if it just took your idea and told you when you could trans, making it so you could disable that would be good.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
Well, haven't you ever played with some newbie and you hear his Goku going "ka-ka-ka-k-kame-ka-k-k-ka-ka" because he's trying to click quickly with Kamehameha selected.
Actually...I haven't o_O

I suppose it would be useful as a cvar for the nubbiest of n00bs, all 1% of them, but I think transforming is the key problem (that and EVM, which i've solved in another recent suggestions thread) and I think onscreen instructions telling you how to trans would seriously help those people out and stop the need to create those threads.

Best answers
I think that teh transform thing is a good idea. Someone just made a thread earlier that asked how to transform so there would be less of these threads.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about just colour coding the cf bar for 1.3 with some additional text (like ascend, ascend 2 and ascend 3 or something like that ?).

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that changing the terms to Transform Up/Transform down will also bridge the language gap, for those who have english as a second language, or don't know it as strongly, and don't know what ascend/descend mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom