Transforming Message

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've noticed a lot of threads asking how to transform and such, even though it's obvious to those who know. Here's a few things I thought've that could help new players out:

1) A message appearing on-screen that says 'Press Z to Transform' when your PL reaches the required amount. It would only have to appear once per form, per character, per game.

2) I'm probably going to get lynched for this, but can Ascend and Descend be changed to Transform (Up) and Transform (Down) in the controls menu? My reasoning is that when I first played ESF I thought ascend meant 'fly straight up' (as is the nature of the word) and the opposite for Descend. I spent ages trying to find the 'Transform' button and ended up transing by accident in the middle of a fight before I realised it was Z.

I thought that was just my brain being stupid, but today during a LAN game with a friend (his first time) the same thing happened to him. It's small, but I think it would be a big help :]

Best answers
Actually yes this would give a bonus to newer players. I noticed alot a player would just be shooting beams everywhere and he was goku with 2 million power....i said ascend man! He pressed z in the middle of a fight and was like "wtf is going on???" And then then he died. He yelled at me the rest of the game :(. But thumbs up so when your fighting you know you can transform

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes that doesn't sound to bad OR just say acend or descend then slash transfrom up or down eg.
z ____________ascend\transform up
x ____________descend\transform down
(This will be at redefine controls)

Best answers
hmm.. 1) sound nice, would help the newb's :D

2) is totally nice, i had the same problem when i started to play esf

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They'd help people out who refuse to read the manual. <_<

Your second problem... heh, that never happened to me, but one of my friends did the same thing when we played ESF at a LAN party.

"Why the hell doesn't pressing 'z' work?"
"You need to have more power level!"
"Oh!"

He went through half of the game thinking he needed more PL to be able to fly. XD

Maybe name 'em "Transform" and "Revert." Sounds better IMO. =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahaha, yeah. You know when you can think of a word, but you can't remember the word for the word, that's what I was thinking about with 'Transform Down'. Anyway, revert works better so gj o/

Best answers
Everyone has the same problem, but say your not a noob and your busy fighting...your melleing the crud outta someone else and suddenly a message appears that says: You can now transform. You cant see the other dude flying at you then he slams you around the map. Maybe have it at the top in like big red letters: You can now transform.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It wouldn't need to cover the screen and block your view, I never said that. It could appear above the HUD or above the charge meter. I mean, servers with AMX have side-scrolling messages all the time that don't obscure view, the same applies here.

Best answers
Yea i agree, and maybe it should flash so they notice it, or be red so it doent blend with the sky.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well it sounds pointless to me. As it's been suggested before, a training course would be more helpful to that player then this and probably be a little more of a useful.

Best answers
Hmmm, a training course would be good, but as some people refuse the maunual the might refuse this, but what would it do? Life flash: Press X to teleport (x being their chosen key) and stuff and then they are given a weak bot to kill? Really this thread is just for their trans poblem, control tell you everything so a training course would be pointless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just say, when you run esf for the first time, it brings up the manual, if thats possible. or right after installing, it forces manual to come up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Automatic manuals are like licence agreements, nobody reads them, you close it so you can get on with the game. However a small piece of text in game is harmless and helpful at the same time. Like how CS gives you pointers from time to time (press B now to buy...etc).

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The CF bar is all that should be needed. Its simple...when its full, you can transform. When its not, you cant. But nobody knows what the CF means, so maybe thats what should be changed.

Best answers
It would be better to have a selection in the game options, or maybe a Cvar command like what NS has : autohelp 1 or 0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't know that Natural Selection had that feature, but yes, that would be ideal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust is right about suggestion 2 ; "Ascend" and "Descend", many new players always ask how to transform because they didnt know Ascend and Descend meant to transform, i didnt know either when i started playing, i thought it meant fly up and down as well

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I've noticed a lot of threads asking how to transform and such, even though it's obvious to those who know. Here's a few things I thought've that could help new players out:

1) A message appearing on-screen that says 'Press Z to Transform' when your PL reaches the required amount. It would only have to appear once per form, per character, per game.

2) I'm probably going to get lynched for this, but can Ascend and Descend be changed to Transform (Up) and Transform (Down) in the controls menu? My reasoning is that when I first played ESF I thought ascend meant 'fly straight up' (as is the nature of the word) and the opposite for Descend. I spent ages trying to find the 'Transform' button and ended up transing by accident in the middle of a fight before I realised it was Z.

I thought that was just my brain being stupid, but today during a LAN game with a friend (his first time) the same thing happened to him. It's small, but I think it would be a big help :]

exxelente iddea this way we can find an excuse to put amXX fo some things i really like it (btw it needs amx so if ya change the key the message 2 change 2 ! )

nge

Best answers
Simple fix- add a variable, say "cl_autohelp x" whereas setting "x" to "1" turns it on and "x" to "0" turns it off. This way, one can turn on the auto help which could do many things. It could explain when you select a beam attack how to use it via a small text box, explain how to use melee when you select it the same way. It can explain how to transform when your PL is high enough, and how to fly when you spawn, etc. Basically, it'd be an ingame FAQ that answers basic questions as the player plays the game rather than praying they read the manual. Have it set to "1" by default, and have it explain how to turn it off as well. It'd be a nice fix and explain to a lot of people some of the more confusing aspects to the newer player.

I like the renaming idea, it could very well be confusing to a player who hasn't tried the game yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
Simple fix- add a variable, say "cl_autohelp x" whereas setting "x" to "1" turns it on and "x" to "0" turns it off. This way, one can turn on the auto help which could do many things. It could explain when you select a beam attack how to use it via a small text box, explain how to use melee when you select it the same way. It can explain how to transform when your PL is high enough, and how to fly when you spawn, etc. Basically, it'd be an ingame FAQ that answers basic questions as the player plays the game rather than praying they read the manual. Have it set to "1" by default, and have it explain how to turn it off as well. It'd be a nice fix and explain to a lot of people some of the more confusing aspects to the newer player.

I like the renaming idea, it could very well be confusing to a player who hasn't tried the game yet.
That doesn't sound to bad at all.
That would be kinda cool and it would be easy to use, so i'm giving it thumbs up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom