Tournament mode

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi all.
I'd like to suggest a new game mode to ESF
It would be called tournament (Or duel mode)
It is similar to Star Wars: Jedi Academy duel mode
I think this mode will please ESF pro's and newbies as well
Also this mode will favored by DM haters because many people like duels more than Death matches
The concept is:
This mode will divide a game map into 2 parts: a tournament zone and a spectator zone. They would be divided by an transparent wall or a glass or something like that:) ;)
The tournament zone represents a fighting zone where 2 players fight
The spectator zone represents a free zone when all players watch the fight or they can train
In spectator zone players can hit each other(I think there should be an option of invulnerability in the spectator zone)
Example:
A player creates a tournament match and after that he is transported in the spectator zone and from this point he is waiting someone to join the game
After someone joins they are transported to the arena and the fight starts
When other players join the game a queue forms and they are waiting for their turn in the arena
When fight is over the winner stays and the looser moves to the end of the queue

Or it may be a light version of this mode
The concept is what I've said above
But except there are no zones there is just a regular map and players normally spectate the battle.

Thanks for the attention ;)

Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Got to admit it sounds good :D

But i don't know if the ESF team is making other modes than ffa ?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Actually they are
Except FFA they make TDM (team deathmatch) and CTDB (capture the dragonballs)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well I guess it is possible, it could work like in Jedi Academy's multiplayer mod.

Simply you wait for your turn and the winner stays another round or they simply match all the people up in the server against each other tournament style till there is a Winner and a Runner-up

Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Ahh I forgot the other modes... My bad..

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
1) ingame duels are already in the inteam( like the duels in FFA in jedi knight )
2) a special tournament gamemode is under development( it will be basically like the great tournament in db )

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2) a special tournament gamemode is under development( it will be basically like the great tournament in db )
Like duel mode in Jedi Knight!

That's awesome, I didn't know that you guys were adding a tournament mode.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can I give you some suggestions for it?
  • There's a special place in a map (like table), where you have to register into the tournament. All you have to do is to press +use in front of that table. Done, you're registered.
  • Then, as long as there's more than 8 and less than 16 or more than 16 players registered, selective maches would take part. Game could generate who fight who, then the person who won is now a participant in the tournament.
  • Then, after 8 or 16 players have registered and gone through the selective matches, admin (or the game itself) can start the tournament.
  • It could also generate the table of participiants, and some button would be binded to open a MOTD with that table.
  • Now, when two participants came to the arena (after invitation by HUD text or something) and others are in tribunes, match can begin.
  • AFAIK stamina will help to recover from fast hits, so it will help to avoid being hit into wall or ground outside the arena. If you hit it - you lose.
  • Some rules could be made by a CVar, like no beams and transformations.
  • If 1x1 fight in ESF 1.3 takes long, that's OK in this case. If not, additional HP could be added for participans in order to make fight longer and more interesting.
IMO that would remind the series.

Some mini-tournaments or just mini-matches could be organized as long as there's less than 8 players.

Best answers
:d

This is possible...
tournament mode its great..
new systens are amazing

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I just like the idea on a FFA-Server that you can "ask" someone for duel and if he accept the duel between this both is ready to go. Others can't join that battle - this would be absolutly enough i thought.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
  • There's a special place in a map (like table), where you have to register into the tournament. All you have to do is to press +use in front of that table. Done, you're registered.
You connecting to the server is equivalent to that.
  • Then, as long as there's more than 8 and less than 16 or more than 16 players registered, selective maches would take part. Game could generate who fight who, then the person who won is now a participant in the tournament.
  • Then, after 8 or 16 players have registered and gone through the selective matches, admin (or the game itself) can start the tournament.
This is no different than the first round of the actual tournament.
  • AFAIK stamina will help to recover from fast hits, so it will help to avoid being hit into wall or ground outside the arena. If you hit it - you lose.
  • Some rules could be made by a CVar, like no beams and transformations.
  • If 1x1 fight in ESF 1.3 takes long, that's OK in this case. If not, additional HP could be added for participans in order to make fight longer and more interesting.
I doubt it will be an alteration of gameplay than it would 1v1 in ffa. As in no out of bounds stuff, just fight till its kill or be killed.

Also I hate the fact that people want to restrict attacks in game period, if you develop a strategy/combo using different abilities, it handicaps you but not the other. Learn to counter all abilities or as much as you can.

Best answers
I think it sounds like a cool idea. I'm thinking the majority of the work would have to be done through the map itself to create walls and conditions, since I'm not sure you could take a normal map and make invisible walls and such. Maybe you can, I dunno.

IMO, player customization through server-side mods would allow the greatest flexibility and continued interests.

I think allowing server-side mods or map alterations to be thrown in would allow infinite modes and variations of this tournament to exist. You could keep track of the results, so players could compete over whose won the most tournaments and have a linear ranking, so if you fight the Number 1 player you can compete for the top spot.

You would have to be within a certain amount of ranks of them though, like top 10 to do a title match. This would give incentives to fighting lower ranked players to climb to the top. To fight rank 20-30, you'd need to be top 50, etc. Depending how many people play in the server, you could set certain conditions. Otherwise Number 1 might shift on a fluke battle or a forfeit due to RL stuff.

So I'd say as long as Tournament Mode allowed admin and server-side commands to work in conjunction with the Mode itself, to allow variables to be changed and conditions to be set to their liking, like spawning player numbers in set locations, then both modes would be possible. It'd also allow customizing the mode to newer map releases that might allow people to fight 2 vs 2, or engage in 1 on 1 unofficial tournament fighting.

This would also give a reason for one server to consider hosting two servers, so that one would be for the "Spectator" battle like you said, and the other would be for tournaments. That way players can fight for fun, and if they see a ranked player, they can challenge them and swap servers.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
and i have sounds(converted) with the commentator from the world tournament :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom