Topics you miss.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do hope uncover_bunker was a troll. I mean it would make me look like an ass for falling for it, but it would scare me if people like that were not uncommon.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never saw that before, but I'm actually with Lee, I did graphic design at college, at no point did anyone use the term "render" to mean cutting out stock, and cutting out stock was "taught" on our first day as I remember, even though I'd been doing it for years before. Rendering as it was used at college was for the process in which you give something shade/finish and pretty much the visual realisation of an idea, and was never to be confused with something else. The way it is used in relation to stock is down the the heavy use of 3D rendering in graphic art internet communities, and people adopting the terminology for all stock images due to internet hearsay, it is in no way technically called a render. Like how people refer to "poly's" on a model instead of triangles, it's the wrong meaning getting mixed up with correct meaning and being pushed as the norm. I hate the internet for what It does to the English language, slap hazard meanings being adopted without question. Panglish will soon take over. I can't even write in English without Firefox telling me I'm wrong :(

Btw, the wiki info has since changed since and doesn't mention anything such as "cutting out an image".

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never saw that before, but I'm actually with Lee, I did graphic design at college, at no point did anyone use the term "render" to mean cutting out stock, and cutting out stock was "taught" on our first day as I remember, even though I'd been doing it for years before. Rendering as it was used at college was for the process in which you give something shade/finish and pretty much the visual realisation of an idea, and was never to be confused with something else. The way it is used in relation to stock is down the the heavy use of 3D rendering in graphic art internet communities, and people adopting the terminology for all stock images due to internet hearsay, it is in no way technically called a render. Like how people refer to "poly's" on a model instead of triangles, it's the wrong meaning getting mixed up with correct meaning and being pushed as the norm. I hate the internet for what It does to the English language, slap hazard meanings being adopted without question. Panglish will soon take over. I can't even write in English without Firefox telling me I'm wrong :(

Btw, the wiki info has since changed since and doesn't mention anything such as "cutting out an image".
Yeah I've rarely heard anyone outside that thread refer to anything regarding 2D images as a "render", unless they are referring to some kind of filter/image processing. I usually associate it with "rendering" lighting effects on 3D models, not an actual image.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dunno.. Planetrenders.net is why I call them Renders.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just one of those things. People call hardware issues with video cards and such lag just because their FPS drop when traditionally I've always heard lag used to describe latency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom