To all 56K players...

Best answers
How do you guys keep your ping so low? My ping just shoots up to 1000 or more everytime I enter a game. I really want to play with some smart people instead of the dumb bots.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there is alot of thing to get less lag, here are some

1. get a friend too host a game, I have a 512k cable, i host a game for a friend of mine and he gets a good ping and does not lag

2. chosse the right map, some maps, with alot of water for example will lag more then one without.

3. Dont run anything in the background, anything like a internet page, anything like that you will need to close

4. Music! dont have it on!

I cannot think of anything else right now, you can aways hosta dedicated server, if you have 2 comps, or u cannot join yourself.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make sure that your Port speed on your COM Port's UART is set to 115,200 kbps. You will have to muss around in your device manager, so if your squeamish, leave it go.

There was a push_latency command in quake one that has an equivelent on HL (modified Quake 2 engine), it escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure if you poke around you'll find it. You should know that if you adjust this too far, your machine will be "guessing" too much and you may see people dissapear, die unexpectantly, or miss time jumps and such.

The best overall tip is to carefully select your ISP, there hardware and traffic routes directly affect your speed.

I've been able to hit 16k DL and UL speeds in small bursts, compared to the 4 or 5k you ussually get. :)

Best answers
Its more on how you choose your server, you have to choose them wisely. There are just more factors than what map its playing, or how many people are there. The ping before you join it may say 150 or so for you, but when you join it, your ping is going from like 600 - 1000. Ever hear of different countries? If the server is no where near you, then its going to lag like a ***** for you. I get 125 - 150 pings on my fav cs servers on my 56k. Tweaking your modem helps, but i havent touched mine and i still get good rates, ill probaly even get better rates if I tweaked it, but i dont see the need for that. Your system also affects the performance, if you seam to be laggy badly, and want to decrease that ping, you can sacrifise some of your fps, by lowering your max fps, and actualy decreasing your ping, but not all of you are blessed with monster vid cards though :p . Just rember, dont just blame the server about lag if your lagging, if your the only one in the server thats lagging, its probaly your problem.

Best answers
I usally get 46666bps and i havent updated my modem driver (missing some file or somthing0_o)

mainly just try to get servers with less people, if 6 or so join my ping goes way up

Best answers
try setting the netspeed (top right on server selection screen) to 13.3 kbps i do this on my cable modem and i get 25-30 pings when i use the cable modem i get 100-200 on same serevers when u set it lower then what u have it sends smaller packets and send s them as fast as ur modem can so try that also =] when u do that refresh server list alos most will go green by 2 or more

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom