Time.com: "PS3 in the top 5 of biggest failures of 2006."

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although I normally like TIME, that article is just silly. The PS3 isn't doing horribly--there just aren't enough of them for everyone. Once they can manufacture enough to supply the demand, and the exclusives start rolling in, people are going to be jumping on the PS3 bandwagon in droves.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I said during the Summer, once the Juggernaut that is the PS3 gains momentum, nothing will get in it's way (unless Sony does, in which case wtf). As Alea pointed out, the major issue with the PS3 now is it's unavailability and lack of exclusives thus far. Those are bound to change for the better, as always.

Still, the 360 has more games that I want than either the PS3 or the Wii.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're pretty spot on. Sony has in my opinion failed thus far, and while I think that they can still do pretty respectible, I don't see them coming in 1st or even 2nd this generation because of all the mistakes they've made. Let's break it down:

The main reason is because of Blu-Ray. They're forcing consumers to use Blu-Ray so they can prophet on a proprietary format; Nothing wrong with that, if it wasn't for the fact that it's the main cause of the manufacturing issues, 600 dollar price and overpriced discs. I loathe Blu-Ray, or atleast it being forced upon me. It adds no value to the PS3 imo, it just causes problems.

Then you add in the fact that they failed to secure enough exclusives, they're counting on the fact that developers developed for the PS2 so they're automatically go for PS3. That's not how it works, they have to work for it. I personally will not be buying a PS3 if the only difference in games is first party content.

Sony's marketting team is also just horrible. The ad's we've had thus far have been remarkably bad, not to mention the fact that they don't even need ads at this point. They can only get out like 300,000 units, why don't they put that ad money towords... I don't know, developing games?

In other news, http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/19/market-research-could-have-improved-ps3s-image/

I like Sony. I hate the PS3 (for the moment, anyways).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main reason is because of Blu-Ray. They're forcing consumers to use Blu-Ray so they can prophet on a proprietary format; Nothing wrong with that, if it wasn't for the fact that it's the main cause of the manufacturing issues, 600 dollar price and overpriced discs. I loathe Blu-Ray, or atleast it being forced upon me. It adds no value to the PS3 imo, it just causes problems.
I see where you're comming from, but imo, dvd is betamax blue ray is vcr, one day we'll make the switch, and a ps3 is significantly less price wise than blue ray players are atm, and It's also a powerful console. Well worth including it imo, I was watching a news report on bbc a while ago stating how holywood is backing blue ray production significantly more these days, that with the added power of game capacity, I see it as a sure way forward, at least for game development, even if people dont care about the high res films.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let me put this in words, because I think someone needs to say it: I don't care about the next generation of DVD's. I. Don't. Care. It has no place in consoles, I use consoles to play games, not watch HDTV high definition movies (I don't even own an HDTV).

The difference between DVD and VCR was noticable; I honestly don't see a big difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. Definitly not a difference worth 200 dollars. I think the majority of consumers would rather have the machine cost less then have some next gen format that they don't care about. Blu-Ray helping games, you say? I say using multi-layered DVD's and saving a few hundred dollars will help games out more. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I, personally, think that it's a bit too early to be calling the PS3 a failure. Heck, I haven't even seen a PS3 out of a box with my own eyes yet. From a personal standpoint, I figure it'd be more wise to judge the product after it has been widely distributed.

But that's me.

Best answers
As long as people BUY the PS3, then Sony will be distrubting BluRay.

You all are missing Sony's goal. if Sony can make BluRay the "standered" for videos and games, then Sony will be FKING RICH!!!!!

Sony KNOWS that the PS3 will lose to the XBOX360, and maybe even the Wii......but movies are already being released in BluRay format, so as long as enough buy the PS3, then Sony won't give 2 ****s about the PS3, they just want BluRay to suceed.

Xenon

X
All I can say is that I hope MGS4 really does switch over to be an X360 exclusive, like they're talking about right now. Apparently, Konami is pissed that there aren't alot of PS3's, and there might not be enough to make much of a profit off MGS4, so they may switch over. Personally, I really hope they do.

The PS3 has tried, and it has failed. Konami is being smart about their game, as I'm sure other developers will be too.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
I'll hear a lot of things about the PS3, but I draw the line at things which are stupid.

God, I'm beginning to lose count of the amount of "They've Totally Screwed Up" comments I've heard brought against consoles that later proved to be smash hits. One of these days - I pray - this sort of sensational garbage will stop attracting attention.

Oy. o_O

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I can say is that I hope MGS4 really does switch over to be an X360 exclusive, like they're talking about right now. Apparently, Konami is pissed that there aren't alot of PS3's, and there might not be enough to make much of a profit off MGS4, so they may switch over. Personally, I really hope they do.

The PS3 has tried, and it has failed. Konami is being smart about their game, as I'm sure other developers will be too.
Please don't mistake conjecture for facts.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12451/Konami-No-Plans-to-Bring-Metal-Gear-Solid-4-to-Xbox-360/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

i personally think thats BS.

how the hell has the PS3 tried and failed? Its barely been out a month, theres a whole like 4 games for it? do you own a ps3?

the xbox 360 wasnt amazing from the start, it only had call of duty and perfect dark zero. the wii isnt amazing, it will get better. and the ps3 will be great, youl just have to wait a few weeks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
God, I'm beginning to lose count of the amount of "They've Totally Screwed Up" comments I've heard brought against consoles that later proved to be smash hits. One of these days - I pray - this sort of sensational garbage will stop attracting attention.
You may have a point here... remember when all anyone could talk about was how large the Xbox was?

In any case, the consoles can do whatever they want, I don't care.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You may have a point here... remember when all anyone could talk about was how large the Xbox was?
Remember how everyone thought the 360 was going to completely fail because it was made in America by Microsoft? Cause I do, and I'm actually tempted to buy one, despite my allegiance to Sony's consoles.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the Xbox is actually going to win this go-around, believe it or not.

But to claim the PS3 is a failure when pretty much every single unit released has been bought...

...lol

I like how people start sputtering off like they know about corporate strategies. Let me explain something to the blu-ray haters out there: Blu-ray is GOOD for games. Massive disc capacity and speed improves game visuals, load times, and other aspects of the design and distro processes as well. So you sit here and say "oooh sony are evil d00d they just want to push blu-ray" well guess what? They don't even have to, dude. HD-DVD is D.O.A., if you haven't noticed. Coupled with the fact that Xbox does not plan to use it's HD DVD addon for games and just movies, Blu-ray already wins by default. It does not need to be pushed. It is supported so widely because it is frigging awesome, not because of some blind corporate initiative.

Believe me, they are doing you and the ignorant masses, a favor. The same favors previously innovated by Sega--DVD-ROMs, CD-ROMs, etc. They don't HAVE to do this, but they are doing it to innovate.

Either way there's no need to worry. Time is an editorial publication, and this list, though published in a prestige-entrenched publication, is still born out of someone's opinion, and little else.

As for the 360...heh. Don't sleep on M$, baby. Hehe.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Yea..youc an't call it a failure when every unit on the shelf gets sold within minutes ;p

that article was from a guy who got raped by a sony employee or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.....lol ^^

dont blue rays hold like 30x as much information as the **** we use currently?

so we could have longer games, with better graphics, with more stuff happening at one time, its an all around good thing

its just an omgosh cash issue. its not like you dont spend 600 dollars on useless crap throughout your year anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
how the hell has the PS3 tried and failed? Its barely been out a month, theres a whole like 4 games for it?
Exactly, just because it hasn't outsold the console that preceeded it by a year doesn't make it a failure.

I'm pretty sure not every single person with an interest in film rushed out to get a DVD player when they were first released, right? Especially if they were out of stock? ROMG DVD FAILZ!!!1!1! No, it went on to become the new standard. Over time.

Best answers
I suppose they were doing the "ignorant masses" a favor when they installed those rootkits on millions of people's computers to, huh?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember how everyone thought the 360 was going to completely fail because it was made in America by Microsoft? Cause I do, and I'm actually tempted to buy one, despite my allegiance to Sony's consoles.
I don't see why people are holding XB360 in such high esteem--how many games out for it are actually worth owning? Gears of War, and.. what else? Oblivion, which I'd rather play on the PC?

And the only upcoming game I'm looking forward to is Halo 3.

I'm not bashing the XB360--I know I'll eventually end up owning all three systems--but if any system thus far has been a failure, it's XB360. Remember all the launch problems--machines failing, unavailability, and even a year after release, there's less "great games" than you can count on one hand.

Let's see where the PS3 and Wii are this time next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom