The stigma of HL verification and why it's not a good idea.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I see. Thanks for the info.

Also I want to say thanks to pretty much everyone in the thread being really cool (devs, mods, fuzzy). It's an interesting discussion and it's nice to see multiple viewpoints on it.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yup, the only info that is saved is your ID64 information. That's about it.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Funny how this came up again.
Anyway, the idea was and still is crap. The execution is silly too. Putting so much effort in blocking so few from support. Especially because blocking is such an effective countermeasure..

I'm anything but a regular and I still see support threads popping up outside the help section every now and then. Funniest thing about it is, is that people still get the same response they would've gotten in the support section if they posted it there. Also note that not all the questions were related to "How do I get it to work?".
It really just seems that it was implemented for the sake of implanting things.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I intended on posting here earlier but I'm a fat lazy **** so yeah.

I don't mind the verification system itself, my problem is the baggage that comes with it. It's definitely gotten better now, but the point is there shouldn't be any issues with it at all. Unverified users shouldn't be restricted from asking for help in a specific section because we're "worried about Valve". We were basically helping out people without much proof of them having a legal copy of Half-Life for over 10 years without any issues in the first place, why would an issue with Valve arise now? It's fairly obvious to tell if someone is using an illegal copy of Half-Life anyways, so there wouldn't be many unverified users getting complete help if the sections were to become unrestricted. Another thing is that they can easily get their shit working without asking for any help, so restricting the help section honestly doesn't do anything at all when it comes down to preventing support.

The other problem is the ******* racism towards unverified users. The worst thing I saw that involved this issue is when people were legitimately requesting unverified users opinions to not count in that voting poll that happened last year. I said it then and I'm saying it now, it was ******* ridiculous and shouldn't have ever happened in the first place. Why would someone's opinion matter than another persons opinion, just because of their verification status? Some of you guys are ******* nuts, seriously.

Like I said, the system is fine and is actually pretty decent when it comes down to things like stats and stuff for when ESF comes out, but is it really worth showing if someone is verified publicly if it's going to cause issues such as peoples opinions being valued over others and people getting shit on for asking a question that doesn't even involve getting ESF to work? I'd say just make everything private, so only the forum staff can see if someone is verified, as well as make the help section available to everyone again.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The other problem is the ******* racism towards unverified users. The worst thing I saw that involved this issue is when people were legitimately requesting unverified users opinions to not count in that voting poll that happened last year. I said it then and I'm saying it now, it was ******* ridiculous and shouldn't have ever happened in the first place. Why would someone's opinion matter than another persons opinion, just because of their verification status? Some of you guys are ******* nuts, seriously.
Because someone who joined yesterday shouldn't be allowed to determine the future of the mod. Being unverified just happened to correspond with their join date.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people had issues with join dates, and others had issues with verification. I honestly don't remember who was on which side, but I do remember there were people who were against people simply being unverified, regardless of their join date.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it may have been a valid issue back in the day where 20 people joined and ask the same questions a day, probably wasn't the best solution. It just isn't valid anymore though, shouldn't more emphasis be placed on welcoming people to the comunity instead of providing obstacles?

Last edited:
Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Only verified because like Rep, the notifications were getting all up in my ass.

Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I don't see the point of witch hunting a few FP leaks and so. To be honest it has been leaked since it began up 'till today. Difference is there hasn't been so much public info (I can only say I haven't leaked from it because I generally don't check it, in addition to that it really isn't that interesting; + to avoid getting in trouble - I'm not saying Mkil's move was genius but still harsh punishment)

Speaking of witch hunting I also agree there's no reason to witch hunt those people that come here on the forum to ask for a few questions or help. They come here and boost forum activity, may it only be for one day and you find every reason you can to sink your teeth into him because he didn't bother to verify. Some of your most precious users haven't verified, there's no reason to scold them or not believe their story if they say they have a Steam acc and just don't want to go through the procedure.

Come on, the forums are barely alive why not spend some time on ... yeah... not giving a **** about this and that. Won't hurt.

Just remove the function, if those 10 minutes extra a day (max) answering people really has brought you to be that fed-up, question is rather; do you really wanna do this? Lessening liberty on the forum, for exactly what purpose?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't exactly a witch-hunt if the person quite clearly leaked materials, flaunted it, and then pretended like he did nothing wrong. MKs attitude was the difference between a slap on the wrist and getting perma-banned. Hopefully people learn that a little humility, feigned or otherwise, goes a long way.

As for the guys who choose not to verify, when was the last time anyone really cared? Everyone is responding as if the events that transpired are still relevant. It's been awhile. Shits changed.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing about the Force Pit leaks is that from the impressions that I've been given over the years, nobody really gives a **** if a non Force Pitter somehow accidentally sees a picture or a video. Yeah, it's exclusive content but at the same time you guys usually see the content a little later, and even better versions of it. The problem is this, you're basically a trusted VIP member of the forum when you become a member of the Force Pit. You're trusted enough by the team to be a part of the experience of seeing exclusive content early and to **** around with everyone, and you're expected to not break the trust by leaking content from that section. It even says it in the rules, and that's honestly the only ******* rule in that section lol. When you break that rule, then there's going to be issues with it. If you show it to a friend and that said friend says someone leaked content to him/her, the person who leaked is going to get shit from people and won't be as trusted, as well as having the risk of having their access taken away, but if the person is cool about seeing the video and doesn't show it to anyone, in the end people aren't really going to care as much. However, in Mkilbride's case where you blatantly link a video from the Force Pit into the chatbox, and then re-upload the video when it gets taken down because of the leak while acting completely unapologetic, douchey, and ignorant about it, you're going to get lynched.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Yeah Mkil's attitude about it was what killed him. He thought he was some journalist wikileaking us some cables or something.

Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well, I'm not saying condone his attitude. Despite his dumb actions I don't know if anyone tried to dissuade him from doing so and when it came to an action already done he was probably just sticking to his pride; and all in all he was loyal and active - I'm not trying to justify his actions. He was probably always in regret but perhaps the aforementioned pride was clouding his sense temporarily.
I don't really know the guy, but he was trying to help the forums his own way, imo.

But anyway, this is more about the verification I guess.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
No, he wasn't sticking to his pride. He said "People need to know, because it's so awesome" or something along those lines. Basically completely acknowledging the rules of the Force Pit and tossing them aside for his own reasons. That's being a prick, and has nothing to do with pride.

Basically Mkil is a prick and it'd be funny if someone punched his balls hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom