The one and only Ki Q&A topic

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
post away!!

just ask a question and i or someone else who knows alot about ki will answer it... (better than pming cause other people can learn from ur questions..)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
w00t ja!!

thats hibiki for all right... :p

Best answers
Here's my situation: I've always been interested in learning self defence, and an old book I bought on the subject mentioned Ki in the section on "Aiki." But it's really boring in places and I haven't gotten through it all (the Aiki stuff was in the back). Then these discussions came up and rekindled my interest.

I tried to take Tae Kwon Do once, but it was a load of BS. All it was was running around a room in circles with little kids. There was nothing on the mental aspects, and almost nothing on proper technique. Well, there really wasn't anything.

So, what I wanna know is, if I'm going to get into this, do you have any advice for how to get a good school that will involve Ki, or at least some kind of mental aspect. I can get my exercise another way, but apparently studying martial arts is supposed to give you discipline and confidence. What should I look for to get that, and avoid wasting time or learning a wrong way of doing things?

Basically, do you have any adivce in picking a good school, and on which styles should be prefered? Right now I live in a big city, so I should be able to have some choice. But personally, I'm about to leave for university and I don't know where, so who knows what my options will be then.

Any adivce would be welcome.

Edit:
P.S.
What's the deal with only being able to do positive or negative Ki? This is just mastery of +ve or -ve, but it still seems strange one would exclude the other. Nothing else in life seems to work that way. And if this is true, can one ever "switch"?

Best answers

If you create negative or positive ki, you don't stick with it for the rest fo your life. It's all on how you handle it, and manipulate it.

Correct me im wrong fellow people...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/me Cracks knuckles. :)

I tried to take Tae Kwon Do once, but it was a load of BS. All it was was running around a room in circles with little kids. There was nothing on the mental aspects, and almost nothing on proper technique. Well, there really wasn't anything.
Watch out for those kinds of schools. These are the bums that give TKD a bad name when real TKD is actually quite a capable style with kicking techniques equalled only by Muy Thai and Capioera.

So, what I wanna know is, if I'm going to get into this, do you have any advice for how to get a good school that will involve Ki, or at least some kind of mental aspect. I can get my exercise another way, but apparently studying martial arts is supposed to give you discipline and confidence. What should I look for to get that, and avoid wasting time or learning a wrong way of doing things?
Look for a school with a master that comes from Asia. This is nearly foolproof. Attend demonstrations before you join and get the feel of the place. Watch out for Masters that are about the almighty dollar. Once there you have to stick with it, for a long time. When you feel like quitting, keep going. Put in a 120%, literaly break your a$$. I worked hard for three years before my grand master started teaching me Ki related stuff. To be honest though every thing he taught me added to my ability in the end.

What's the deal with only being able to do positive or negative Ki? This is just mastery of +ve or -ve, but it still seems strange one would exclude the other. Nothing else in life seems to work that way. And if this is true, can one ever "switch"?
I should have been more specific (damn my laziness for not correcting it) because that is pretty much the same responce I got from DMZ forumites. Master does not mean learn. It means master. If you are a great tai chi master, you will have a hard time mastering negative ki. That's not to say that you won't be able to unlock the might of fa jing :) but you won't be learning the full set of bridge hand kicks anytime soon. So Blazer is more or less correct, except eventually, you will find yourself leaning to one side or another. There are Hard/Soft hybrid styles but they are not especially good at doing either. Simple tradeoff law.

As for styles you should persue. Every person is different, each style fits a certain person better. Tell me what you are looking for specifically. Physically as well as spiritually.

A final tip: always push your boundry's if you are complaining that your master/teacher isn't showing you enough. Then you aren't trying hard enough.

Best answers
What does ki training exactly do? I can sense it, but i have no use of it ( i mean i dont gather it) What can i gain from getting it?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have to learn how to shape it using breathing exercises. Once you play around with it for a bit it becomes more useful in physical combat and/or endurance and healing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes look out for the kiddy schools they are a waste of money...

most of the time when u go into a school there should be a place or wall with plaques and information about the founder of the school and martial art... this is a good place to see what kind of school it really is...

ki can be used for many many things like knocking down a person with out touching them, speeding up the bodys healing process, lighting a piece of paper on fire, running fast, thinking better, lifting heavyer things....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes... boojam... boojam indeed......

Best answers
Phew, glad these posts stayed.

Anyway, here's a tough question (or several). Everywhere I read, it talks about Ki being a force you either draw from the air or from the ground. It's always related to either the Air around you or the Earth.

So my question, which I'll assume you guys are making educated guesses on, is: what happens if you're removed from these things?

What happens to your ki abilities if:

-You're in a spaceshuttle or plane and so are no where near the ground
-Are using scuba diving equipment and so are not truly breathing air, just a select mixture of chemicals
-Have your lungs removed and must use artificial ones
-Are a Ki master who insists on drawing Ki while holding your breath, and are one of those guys who can hold their breath for 10 minutes
-Your throat is crushed and air is being pumped directly to your lungs(by machine); could Ki still be drawn by imagining oneself breathing, or concentrating on the motion of air being moved into the lungs?

:notice: Basically, the question is, is the taking in of air and ground just a visualization technique, or is it vitally important? And if so, must it be natural planet earth air & ground? Is the motion of breathing critical, or is it just the idea of pulling Ki from your surroundings? I'll understand if you can't answer this, but as "the experts" maybe you know or have a good guess.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The answer depends on your skill level. I would assume there fore it is a visualization technique. I can draw it without, but it is more of hassle than if I had taken the time to visualize.

To explain in more detail requires a breif summary of what I believe Ki to be. I have a theory that Ki is an "all invasive" energy that permeates everything. It, at times, feels like fluid fire running under your skin. During other times it feels like a cool tingle. Either way the spread is "fluid" and I believe that Ki travels in streams. This is backed by the oldest descriptions of internal energy from the oldest martial arts.

That being said, Ki travels through all things, better through somethings than others. So I believe that even in the vaccum of space you could draw ki, but it may not be the best you could do. There are many distracting factors in all of the situations that you mentioned that would further diminish your ki harvesting skills. Think of life forms as a node, where the energy seeps from the stream into a pool. Some people can pull on this stream faster and more effectively, as they empty it.

Best answers
And also, think that right now all we are doing is sipping from the stream, we have yet to really, collect it in pools and store it. No one has discovered how to harvest AND nurture it. And it is believed that energy is already in the body, and can be harvested anywhere. We cant be sure exactly what ki is until we TRULY discover how to use it, just like our brain, we have only scratched the surface of something amazing. I am telling you now that they think we will use 100% of our brains within the next 15-20 years. They have already started, and the results show promise.

Think of ki harvesting as a stream of water, and you are the vaccum cleaner. The stream is infinite, but your hose only can absorb so much and then it maxes out the storage, this might be very large or relatively small. Its the "hose" that depends on how u harvest it. the bigger the hose, the more you harvest. Sound simple? Probably is, but now its pretty hard. The stream exists everywhere, but is stronger (suppossedly) when closer to other life forms.

Four kinds of ki as far as i know

Lifeforce: Standard energy of life
negative: Energy of aggression
positive: Energy of defense
neutral: The energy that surrounds our body, can be focused into different "things"

According to my teacher in school, this is what he says, ill get back to you when i can use this, which is probably never :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom