THE MAP COMPETITION TO END ALL MAP COMPETITIONS

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, so here's the deal. Nihao, Volt, and me are all new to mapping / learning how to map. Volt proposed a little competition between us to see who can come up with the best map in a months time. I'm sure all the maps are going to be horrible, but that doesn't matter, this should at least motivate all of us to learn mapping faster. Competition deadline is July 12th at 12:00 AM, Eastern Time. All maps must be made for ESF. More rules to be determined i guess

So basically, I guess we need a judge. Any volunteers :p. Alternatively, I guess since theres three of us, each of us can pick which one of the others map we like the best. Dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Last edited:
Best answers
NO MAPPING PROS ALLOWD!! SERIOUSLY, AND NO RINGERS, we all have some help, but i dont wanna see somone comin up with an APE COLLESIUM WITH A REFLECTIVE FLOOR AND ALL THAT, running watter!! naw man, n o cheating. and by cheating i mean just gettign major help from like afm, iamkong, ect, none of that.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just you me and volt, no one else is entering. If any of us manage to make something as good as ape colosseum, I'll be utterly amazed

Best answers
TANKSU WANTS IN!! and hes as green as we are, also did you check out my map? the prototype?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whose tanksu? I guess if someone is new to mapping they can join in, i just didn't think anyone would want to

And yeah, I saw the pictures. Looked interesting :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can judge if you still need them.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not so hard to make a reflective floor.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so uh... what are your proposed specifications?

i'd go with:

judging will be based on the flow of the map, if multiplayer, how balanced it is, and how it reads in a hectic playstyle. if singleplayer, how it is percieved to play out.

use of brushes: are you being efficient?

use of textures: are you tiling textures? how many unique textures are there?

use of non-brush assets: how many imported assets are there? do they disrupt the flow of the map, or enhance it? and how efficiently are they used?

Best answers
you guys will prob win, this is all i got so far,

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool. I'll post a pic of the map i'm working on now when I'm finished (It won't be the map I submit..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom