The Idea for Benefiting Both Sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Then the question becomes what are the phases we're speaking about if phase 1 is "As close to perfection as reasonably possible"? Is there room for improvement if melee is found lacking or are we limited only to changing damage and speed variables? What is lacking from phase 1 that will find its way into phase whatever? How many phases are there? There's a lot of guesswork being done here because there's zero information flowing to the community in that regard. Newcomers are adamant about having the game now, because there are no goal posts to speak of. As far as we're concerned, there's unreleased, and released. If there's more in between, that needs to be communicated, as that'd cut down on the number of threads politely asking that it be released right now or suffer the death of your first born son.

In short, just set goals in the form of phases, communicate what each phase entails, and we'll have a better picture of where we are as far as completion level. Personally, I don't find "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PERFECT" as a reasonable first goal, but thats just me.
I think you're assuming to much organization in the ESF team there. You're not informed of progress in the plan because there is no plan. There is no plan because most of the team members just want to do whatever they feel like, so progress is rather chaotic/organic.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you're assuming to much organization in the ESF team there. You're not informed of progress in the plan because there is no plan. There is no plan because most of the team members just want to do whatever they feel like, so progress is rather chaotic/organic.
This is the kind of thing you probably shouldn't tell the community at large. Or embrace. I don't know. We have different mentalities.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, here I was planning on not responding to this thread at all and then I see that post.

My assumption of ESF's non-release went from an assumption to an assertion and never have I so quickly gone through multiple stages of despair and sadness.

Best answers
Well, the current team has the same attitude towards long term planning as 'my' team in the early 2000's when we were pumping out four releases in three years, so you shouldn't take that statement as an indication on whether ESF will be released or not.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
How about a longer video to see at what state is the game curently...We could get more information than just reading blablablaba...If you make a full video of the game and its features until now..more people will be interested.Main menu,character selection screen,hud, basic fight...soaring in multiplayer.ITS NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE GAME!!!ITS ABOUT A LONGER VIDEO.Normal video actually :p
At least think about it!
No, some things should be revealed at the release and not earlier! Getting to much of the game prior to the release will make the game loose some of the very important first moments, where people go Aawwe, Oooh, Woow! And it can be the tiniest things, such as the game menu or the music used.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, some things should be revealed at the release and not earlier! Getting to much of the game prior to the release will make the game loose some of the very important first moments, where people go Aawwe, Oooh, Woow! And it can be the tiniest things, such as the game menu or the music used.
None of which actually affects retention. You have to consider that 99% of the players will look at the character select screen for the briefest of moments before moving on to actually playing the game. The thing that makes ESF a game, and not a realistic water simulator, is what has been shown the least. That's where your "Ooohs!" and "Ahhhs!" will come from 5 years down the line, if its done correctly, and that's where the focus should be.

Also, ffs, lose. Loose is the opposite of tight, lose is to cease to have. I don't know how or why it happened, but everyone uses the two interchangeably.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
None of which actually affects retention. You have to consider that 99% of the players will look at the character select screen for the briefest of moments before moving on to actually playing the game. The thing that makes ESF a game, and not a realistic water simulator, is what has been shown the least. That's where your "Ooohs!" and "Ahhhs!" will come from 5 years down the line, if its done correctly, and that's where the focus should be.

Also, ffs, lose. Loose is the opposite of tight, lose is to cease to have. I don't know how or why it happened, but everyone uses the two interchangeably.
You make a valid point, but still! Showcasing to much is going to far. There should be a balance, and the guy that mentioned the idea was "Show us everything".. That's unnecessary, I don't want to see everything if I can't play it. I'd rather wait and then see everything while playing it.

Haha, yeah sorry about that! I am usually very picky with that, and then/than as well.. but this time I slipped. English isn't my mother tongue after all!

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
show us everything

its devs gone wild

and they are gonna show us

everything

gj ass-hole for making the thread, and then reap what you've sown as the entire dev team exposes themselves

in this thread

you asked for it

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
show us everything

its devs gone wild

and they are gonna show us

everything

gj ass-hole for making the thread, and then reap what you've sown as the entire dev team exposes themselves

in this thread

you asked for it
I believe you calling me a ass-hole is extremely immature, I was simply putting out a suggestion, that "could" be highly beneficial..

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Here is a fellow who is new to our forum and very excited about the mod, this is no way to greet him Eon.
As a long time member here, I would expect you to know better. This is not how people should be greeted.
1 warning issued for disrespect.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not informed of progress in the plan because there is no plan. There is no plan because most of the team members just want to do whatever they feel like, so progress is rather chaotic/organic.
It's fine with me as long as it gets the job done. Everybody works at their own pace and i can respect that. My suggestion would be to eventually make a plan/goal list even if it's short. But since this is a freelance/hobby project i can imagine that some people don't want anything related to deadlines.

@phrack: I agree. It was uncalled for.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's fine with me as long as it gets the job done. Everybody works at their own pace and i can respect that. My suggestion would be to eventually make a plan/goal list even if it's short. But since this is a freelance/hobby project i can imagine that some people don't want anything related to deadlines.

@phrack: I agree. It was uncalled for.
You don't need a deadline to have some semblance of an idea where you should be at x phase. If there are no goals short of completing the mod, there's going to be a distinct lack of efficiency. I mean, it's 2003. Where are we going to be in 2013? Still waiting on ESF? I hope not!

Best answers
You don't need a deadline to have some semblance of an idea where you should be at x phase. If there are no goals short of completing the mod, there's going to be a distinct lack of efficiency. I mean, it's 2003. Where are we going to be in 2013? Still waiting on ESF? I hope not!
I agree with you. ECX devs in ESF team ruined this mod and community, freelancers bulls**t... 2013 and mod is still too buggy...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
You guys are right, in a weirdly spaced out message joking about devs getting naked, I was being totally serious and mean by calling him an ass hole for unleashing the wrath of naked devs. I was directly and personally attacking him in the middle of the post I made concerning DEVS GONE WILD and I can see how anything I say to others can be seen as hateful in that situation.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Honestly, I feel that this idea is a very good idea. Like I previously stated "If there game is in a state to even achieve this idea." It is now time to get right to the point, because I see a mixed community. Ones that want the phases and some that don't want the phases, Also I looked at the poll inculding a option for phases or not even though it wouldn't be for-sure, and I say the results were not to far apart. So like I previously said "For the ones who want phases can play it in phases and the ones that don't want phases can just ignore the phases" So I ask Why not do this Developers? Is it more difficult to do this? If so then don't do the phases, because I am trying to see a way where all can be happy and at peace.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, I feel that this idea is a very good idea. Like I previously stated "If there game is in a state to even achieve this idea." It is now time to get right to the point, because I see a mixed community. Ones that want the phases and some that don't want the phases, Also I looked at the poll inculding a option for phases or not even though it wouldn't be for-sure, and I say the results were not to far apart. So like I previously said "For the ones who want phases can play it in phases and the ones that don't want phases can just ignore the phases" So I ask Why not do this Developers? Is it more difficult to do this? If so then don't do the phases, because I am trying to see a way where all can be happy and at peace.
Take a second and think about it. Is implementing release phases, which requires additional work on almost all fronts, more difficult or more time consuming than releasing a finalized product? I think the answer here is obviously. Also, as an aside, let's stop pretending you're just a nice guy trying to do nice things, alright. That's why Eon came at you so hard. You want the game now, and other kids want the game now. Cool. Let's not dress it up as something it isn't.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Zeonix. But nice try anyway. Thanks to this thread we now know that there's no plan/goal list for ESF:Final (piece of information right here).

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Its sad that you have too assume something that isn't true, I am trying to do something nice, its if any of you accept it. I have put out my opinion and Idea and I was wrongfully accused and attacked. I now know being nice to the esf community you will receive no kindness. I thank you to the ones who replied and gave there opinion nicely.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't blame you for wanting the game released. Hell, all of us do. But here's a simple truth.

We get people at least twice a month posting and trying to find a nice, passive-aggressive way to say "release this ******* mod already". That's all you're doing. You're more than welcome to stick around, but don't sit there and pretend that you weren't passively trying to push the dev's for either release or information. We see it near constantly and some of us have even taken part, so we know.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread is getting a bit out of hands. Just gonna close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom