termination of internet

Best answers
hey all
in the announcement it says alot of stuff about warnings someone posted that on the third time you do something stupid u can get ur internet terminated......
can the mods actually do that........is it legal........
thanx in adv......

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol no...they can ban your ip address from the forums though

Best answers
yeah i know that but at the bottom it says

"termination of ur internet from ISP"

...ps i know what ISP is ;(

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I believe that the situation is if you do something too extreme, such as hack the server, harass the owner via email or just be a complete idiot, your ISP would be contacted..that's just my guess.

Best answers
so if they contacted my ISP....do you think they would listen ........

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unless you provide your own internet, your ISP does have rules, the same as these forums, its just a matter of informing your isp of you breaking these rules, and your isp carrying out the necessary actions,

it is very legal, you break rules, you get punished,

Best answers
yeah, but its not like you couldnt just change providers or something. So if it did happen, its not like youll never have internet again. But like nuttzy said its very possible, i havnt seen it happen, but it is possible.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Greg, the owner of the server on which this forum resides is the CEO of a server company. He has ways to contact ISPs, and thanks to his status, he also has the ability to persuade them into terminating your connection. Heck, if you're causing damage, he could even sue your ISP for letting you cause that damange.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes you could change providers, but eventually you would run out of them if thats your view of the situation

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the record, I have personally attempted four ISP terminations, two of which were succesful. Of the remainder, only one escaped unscathed, the other recieved a nasty e-mail from the ISP's abuse department notifying the parent of the child's actions.

If you assume that you are completely above the law here, come prepared, the administration does not pull punches.

Best answers
well i am not going on a flaming spree anytime soon then......i guess we could close the thread if a mod wants to

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not the flaming that will get you into that kind of trouble. It takes a much higher level of maliciousness. I can't even name any of the four that Cucumba mentioned.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It takes serious offences, like attempted attacks on the message board that come close to success, or people who break the law, not just forum rules.

KyoKusanagi

K
A Miscelaneous quote i thought fit the situation pretty well:

This society does not care if you're the dumbest vegetable on earth, if you do something wrong, someone will make you pay the price! ;)

Retired
Best answers
if you just obey the rules and act normal you seriously have nothing to worry about, just some flaming doesnt get you to ISP disconnection as stated above. :)

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Most internet companies ignore those complains by server owners, who are complaining that some guy is messing up there forum.(With messing I mean hacking)

Most internet companies care more about the money they make, then some little admin jelling...HE MESSING UP MY FORUM!!(Unless it's a very big forum ofsome game...like RO)

Money more important so, they won't shut u down.(Unless ur downloading music, movies which is illegal.....then they will have to or be sued)

Best answers
I've seen ISPs take action before. Just recently we had someone post a few "hate" pictures-- hosted on his ISP homepage (edited to someone's pic with horrid images)-- on the SL forums because he over-reacted on something an admin had said, so the victim of the modified pictures gave AOL a "misconduct" email about this person. Sure enough within 36 hrs they removed his web page.

I guess certain things CAN be done... I will agree with Devion though-- the ISP is a blood-thirsty vampire who's greed ends at no limit. Its hard to believe that termination could happen, seeing as people have made attempts at trying to get Devil's terminated.... and his case is far worse than anyone else's on this board.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let the record speak for itself. As I said, only one ISP flatly refuses to do anything unless you sue them. (I'm not goint to tell you which one.)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmmm, couple things:

1. Why are you worried about this? Planning to hack the server any time soon?

2. Devil can't have his ISP killed because you can't provide any evidence about it. 100% guaranteed that most ppl who crash a server are spoofing off a proxy to hide their realy identity.

-Karrde-

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I know exactly which ISP Devil belongs too, but his ISP refused to cooperate. Skater00* is a good example of a person who hacks his IP information, probably with a script, as I doubt he's talented enough to do so on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom