Steam news: Hacker detected

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The news.

Valve confirms Steam hack: credit cards, personal info may be stolen
By Casey Johnston | Published about 6 hours ago

The recent Steam hack may have compromised users' credit card numbers and other personal information, according to a message sent to Steam users from Gabe Newell, head of Valve. The company is certain the hackers gained access to a database with this encrypted information, but don't know if they took it or will be able to crack its encryption.

Earlier this week, the Steam forums were taken offline due to some vandalization by the video game hacks website fkn0wned. A message on the forums noted they were down for maintenance, but it turns they had received uninvited guests ealier after all.

The compromised database held information such as user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, e-mail addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information, according to Newell.

Newell writes that the company does not have evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or personal info were taken by the intruders, and the company is "still investigating." He goes on to say that there is also no evidence of credit card misuse, but implores Steam users to "watch your credit card activity and statements closely."
Gabe newell's quote message.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.
Some hacker just hacked in and I don't know what the hell is going on here.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good thing I don't use the forums then.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, this was reported a couple of days ago. Sucks, but what can you do?

They use 256-bit encryption, no small feat to hack that at all. That means there is like 256,000,000 different possible keys to get into it, you need an insanely powerful network of computers to do that. Not Valves fault, just the world we live in.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah, this was reported a couple of days ago. Sucks, but what can you do?

They use 256-bit encryption, no small feat to hack that at all. That means there is like 256,000,000 different possible keys to get into it, you need an insanely powerful network of computers to do that. Not Valves fault, just the world we live in.
True, but what about the facts of those who gets their credit cards hacked? people cannot be running out of money and the mortgages kicking people out for spending their money.
If the hacker gets spotted then the hacker will actually pay $20000000000 dollars of hacking their credit card balance down to 0 and set it up back where they are.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Credit Card detail are encrypted outside the forum encryption method. Besides right now its really easy to watch for fraud activity and cancel the transfer.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate those freaking hackers , Good thing I had my credit card informations deleted.

BTW they only hacked the Forums not the Steam accounts , I have diffrent accounts and passwords and usenames for that.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I never realized how vunerable these systems are. It's discouraging to say the least.
You'd think Steam would be a bit more secure. Looks like they have some patching to do.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing is Unbreakable Phrack. If you have the resources you can pretty much break into anything. This just goes to show the caliber of hackers out there.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it was Gabe. They found out about his past:

[video=youtube_share;F4P0Dnlx_Mg]http://youtu.be/F4P0Dnlx_Mg[/video]

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If its connected to a network, and that network is connected to the web, its hackable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom