Spirit Bomb FX

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I must agree, atm, the dust is far too saturated.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And thick. The explosion also lacked, it's like a small flash blang instead of an actual explosion.

I love the map, even if it is unfinished.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes i know that still is heavy wip,but i want see the dust in other map.with the colour i like something like this

and effect.but is wip,again good job.
Well the problem there is that dust is an overall effect. Its not map specific.

So for a WIP i think its good, it needs some changes, but its true that its hard to find the right color to suit all maps at once :s

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think the grayish tone pointed out by Elcor would be a suitable choice for all maps, whether it be dirt, grass, or concrete.

Now I'm curious as if the dust effect varies from terrain to water.

I could imagine it wouldn't be hard for the FX script to tell the difference between what particle effects to chunk out for a particular terrain.

Beautiful effects, Dalte89 has really outdone himself. I think the explosion is perfectly executed. It gives a sense of a violent impact while reducing the unnecessary prolongation of its predecessor, along with the dust left behind I think its far better than it used to be in 1.2

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Why thank u sir really appreciate it. Like previously said this is all WIP so i promise it will only get better k people. Keep critiquing tho i definitely read and take interest in you ppl's thoughts. and yea that is a good color to use, i will desaturate it some k, but yea part of the difficulty is making it seem suitable in all maps

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Let's see what future gives us. I'm really exited about how the game becomes even more beautiful.
Also, at the moment I still can't believe that is JUST made with the hl1-engine. Unbelievable. That's the most amazing fact i guess and for that reason it really blows me away what kind of stuff you can do with that. I'm glad to look forward see how you guys fascinate me next times.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Hey Dalte, make sure that the dust on the building(when the spirit bomb hit the building in the video) will be the same when u knockback someone to a wall/building/surface. Would be cool

BTW, im no coder, but maybe you can make it so the dust takes its color from the ground color it hits.

For example, a more grayish ground will make the dust in a grayish color while a more brown ground color will make the dust in a brown color.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
BTW, im no coder, but maybe you can make it so the dust takes its color from the ground color it hits.
Grega said this wasn't map specific, so I'm also guessing its not "terrain" specific either. I don't know if it relates, but in HL, when you shoot at any surface the sparks and particles that spray out are always the same, although Ive seen water splashes in mods like Sven Coop which are just awesome.

Maybe they've got something up their sleeve for water effects as well.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL has the capabilities to have texture specific effects. Like the sounds that echo would be different for concrete and metal textures.

But thats not gonna work in ESF. In HL you can bind things to a specific texture, but that only works as long as the textue is constant. So as long as the texture would be grass only you could bind grass effects to that texture. But since ESF has combinations on a single texture that gets ruled out.

Basically if ESF has grass, dirt and rock on 1 texture. While HL has them on seperate textures. So ESF can only bind 1 effect to all 3 of them where HL can bind 1 effect for each of them.

Though that can be changed for ESF with a little mapper work. But the result would be triple the texture data :s

Atleast in 1.2.3

But for 1.3 we are using a whole new map system so its even harder to do it.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL has the capabilities to have texture specific effects. Like the sounds that echo would be different for concrete and metal textures.

But thats not gonna work in ESF. In HL you can bind things to a specific texture, but that only works as long as the textue is constant. So as long as the texture would be grass only you could bind grass effects to that texture. But since ESF has combinations on a single texture that gets ruled out.

Basically if ESF has grass, dirt and rock on 1 texture. While HL has them on seperate textures. So ESF can only bind 1 effect to all 3 of them where HL can bind 1 effect for each of them.

Though that can be changed for ESF with a little mapper work. But the result would be triple the texture data :s

Atleast in 1.2.3

But for 1.3 we are using a whole new map system so its even harder to do it.
Actually, a few of us talked about this yesterday, and it is for the explosions to be map specific.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said its not in yet. Nor did i say it would be hard to put in.

Hell every setting for the map can be changed in the XML for the map. So having a choice about this to would be easy.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah nice progress...

first of all a more greyish and little bit more "see-trough" on the dust would be nice... donno what the word is...

only for that my suggestions i made are done :D
i only hope that the aura has dust to not only when swooping but constantly when it's being used... only in ssj or ssj+ forms though.

make it look a but more realistic dust like :)
i know the 1.2.3 and older uses such kind of color to but still it was more "see-troughable" :p

other then that i can only say good job for your first update in the overal progress in esf :) congrats

edit:
why would a spirit bomb suck in debris instead of pushing it away?
i prefer things being pushed away. inclusive players if the sb comes from a high pl opponent.
i know that things being sucked up is easier to make because pushing away almost needs ragdoll effects i guess.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah nice progress...

first of all a more greyish and little bit more "see-trough" on the dust would be nice... donno what the word is...

only for that my suggestions i made are done :D
i only hope that the aura has dust to not only when swooping but constantly when it's being used... only in ssj or ssj+ forms though.

make it look a but more realistic dust like :)
i know the 1.2.3 and older uses such kind of color to but still it was more "see-troughable" :p

other then that i can only say good job for your first update in the overal progress in esf :) congrats

edit:
why would a spirit bomb suck in debris instead of pushing it away?
i prefer things being pushed away. inclusive players if the sb comes from a high pl opponent.
i know that things being sucked up is easier to make because pushing away almost needs ragdoll effects i guess.
The PL of the person who threw the spirit bomb isnt important. The3 spiritbombs PL is the same as the average PL of the entire server. So it doesnt matter if the guy with 5 million PL throws it or the guy with 1 million. Itll have the same strength.

As for dust on aura. Im against that. This is still half life. So to much of the dust effect will cause FPS drops. I notuced some drops when a lot of the effect was displayed at the same time. So having it on for turbo would be a bad idea.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
as for the sb why doesn't the thrower's pl matter?
i mean at last when goku went ssj he could give his sb more power.

and now i think of it isn't the dust below the sb not kind of small?
less dust but more spread out is what i mean. donno if this kills the fps though.

can't there be made a less demanding dust version then?
as far i know when alot of ppl start transforming next to eachother i don't get a fps drop or atleast not noticable.
could be made cliënt side i think.

also is that fps drop not diffrent on diffrent machines?

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Spirit Bomb's strength depends on everyone else's PL.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i mean at last when goku went ssj he could give his sb more power.
If we were to get technical, Goku didn't give the Spirit Bomb more power, he just went SSJ to push it back. The SB isn't Goku's own energy so it would make sense to base the SB's strength on everybody's PL. It would be unfair and rather useless if it were to have a preset PL, making it impossible for newcomers to push it back but for a SSJ3 Goku to *****-slap it away in 2 seconds.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Would be cool if SB had strenght depended on team players' PL (if Teamplay mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom