Sony Cuts Price of PlayStation 3 to $410

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Even with the worst jobs in the US, I still see it as plenty possible to afford. We spend more money than this all the time on other junk, though we don't always realize it. This just looks more undoable because it's all in one fat wad.

In a way I am happy about the huge price, though. That means that only a few of us will be able to get the thing for a while, which will make us a sort of elite few. Honestly I like the idea of being an original PS3'er cause of the exclusivity.

...Yet you say the launch batch will sell out? Where's the exclusivity in that?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
wheres_warren said:
...Yet you say the launch batch will sell out? Where's the exclusivity in that?
If Sony sells every single PS3 from the launch batch, they'll have a net loss of over 2 billion dollars lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, I bet they will go bankrupt too, and probably sell their headquarters to Sega too... >:0\

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
If Sony sells every single PS3 from the launch batch, they'll have a net loss of over 2 billion dollars lol
I know it's wonderful isn't it.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha, i find it funny that people who spend their spare time on esf forums think they're smarter than a massive world wide corporation who have been releasing things like this for years and have their fingers in all the pies not to mention their current domination of the industry.

It'll come down in price sooner than you'd think, and I am a patient man, I can wait untill my money situation makes more sense than my desire.

I really hate how the fans of each console hassle eachother over such rumors, it makes no sense, if you prefer a console then buy it, surely you can appreciate the pro's and cons of all other consoles and understand why somebody might prefer them, there's no need for all this slander and cynacism, in the end you're just trying to shove in other people's face "my opinion is the right one". I like to reach my own conclusions as im sure most others do.

I may be a bit hypocritical, but I think somebody needs to say it sometime because the ammount of bull**** in threads like this is rediculous, we might as well take out the tape measure boys, and we'll see who wins that competition.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been meaning to try to address that very problem, actually.

The only reason why I haven't tried, is because I keep seeing stuff like this and lose my faith in the people of this section to be able to properly respect one another. Regardless you're absolutely right; half the time the points argued are BS all around, articles cited are conjecture or op/ed pieces, and quotes to back up arguments are from wikipedia (which were probably added to the wiki by the person posting the quote anyhow).

It really needs to stop.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Even with the worst jobs in the US, I still see it as plenty possible to afford. We spend more money than this all the time on other junk, though we don't always realize it. This just looks more undoable because it's all in one fat wad.

In a way I am happy about the huge price, though. That means that only a few of us will be able to get the thing for a while, which will make us a sort of elite few. Honestly I like the idea of being an original PS3'er cause of the exclusivity.
Oh, I'm not saying it's unaffordable to everyone. I make a mere 8.64 an hour. Most all of my money goes to college, guitar lessons, internet, car insurance and gas. All from one job with minimum wage. So for people like myself, in college who aren't the richest people in the world, it's not easy to just say "oo a 600 dollar console..sweet, hey mac put it on my card"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I understand that.

The problem, though, is that most of the people who make the argument about it's price, tend to claim they don't want it anyway, or that it will be crap and isn't worth the price, etc. At that point is when it changes from preference to unnecessary slander. I mean why would someone who hates the machine care how much it costs (as is demonstrated all the time on this forum, even maybe in this thread)? At the end fo all my figuring on the subject it seems to be no more than player hating of a sort; I can afford it with ease, some others can't, so we as people cut down what we can't have as crap to ease the transition to no longer wanting it.

But hey, who are they trying to convince? For me it's NOT too expensive and we know from both experience and expectation that it will be a quality product with a long shelf life and a plethora of games and features. So what's not to like from my angle? I suppose if I couldn't afford it I'd feel slighted but I think videogaming is always being ruined by "lowest common denominator" players. Look at the PC market--how many games were held back by people with 56k, or people with old Voodoo cards, or (even earlier than that) people who refused to upgrade windows to 95? I'm glad that Sony is making it expensive and full of raw power user features; video games should require at least some sort of investment of effort, if you ask me. Play casually, yeah, that's fair and fine--but if you want it cheap, easy, and ready, while also being full of super-advanced features and huge title lineups with massive launch lineups...well then that's just expecting too much, and the world of video games has clearly made some of us feel we deserve to be spoiled.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I understand that.

The problem, though, is that most of the people who make the argument about it's price, tend to claim they don't want it anyway, or that it will be crap and isn't worth the price, etc. At that point is when it changes from preference to unnecessary slander. I mean why would someone who hates the machine care how much it costs (as is demonstrated all the time on this forum, even maybe in this thread)? At the end fo all my figuring on the subject it seems to be no more than player hating of a sort; I can afford it with ease, some others can't, so we as people cut down what we can't have as crap to ease the transition to no longer wanting it.

But hey, who are they trying to convince? For me it's NOT too expensive and we know from both experience and expectation that it will be a quality product with a long shelf life and a plethora of games and features. So what's not to like from my angle? I suppose if I couldn't afford it I'd feel slighted but I think videogaming is always being ruined by "lowest common denominator" players. Look at the PC market--how many games were held back by people with 56k, or people with old Voodoo cards, or (even earlier than that) people who refused to upgrade windows to 95? I'm glad that Sony is making it expensive and full of raw power user features; video games should require at least some sort of investment of effort, if you ask me. Play casually, yeah, that's fair and fine--but if you want it cheap, easy, and ready, while also being full of super-advanced features and huge title lineups with massive launch lineups...well then that's just expecting too much, and the world of video games has clearly made some of us feel we deserve to be spoiled.

But I do want it, that's why I have a problem with the price. I love Playstation. Problem is, is that I won't be able to get the console until it goes down in price and I get enough money together to buy it. Hell I have to save up for the Wii, but because it's cheaper, I don't have to wait as long. I only get about 50 dollars of spending cash a month, so..yeah =/

Unfortunately I have to have the best of the best, so I won't settle for the $499 one.

Best answers
Pride your argument isn't really true. I would love to have a PS3. There are a lot of games I would really like to play, specifically MGS4 and FF series. But over $700 after a game, tax and a controller doesn't justify it. I wouldn't care if it was Nintendo, M$, and it had the best games ever. I just cannot afford to blow 700 dollars on a console that can only play games. I haven't even figured out whether or not I'm going to be able to afford a Wii yet let alone something way over twice the price.

Now maybe if the PS3 could allow me to do everything I do on a computer I would definatly consider it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...that's what it does.

In fact that is one of the chief things people make fun of about it on this board, that Sony refers to it as a "computer."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
In fact that is one of the chief things people make fun of about it on this board, that Sony refers to it as a "computer."
that's a factor I'm thinking. I already have a (somewhat) high powered PC that plays games, and does everything.

Why would I need a miniture version that only plays games? :(

Another reason I really am edging away from the PS3 is, what if the life span wears out like the Playstation 2? For paying $500-$600+ on a console, I sure don't want it to die after 2-3 years of usage.

edit: unless I'm missing something where they said it won't, someone plz linkeh it to me o_o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's the point in buying something that a computer can do when you have a computer o_O. Though in this case, the PS3 does have computer-like features.

But I use my computer for internet, media, work, and a handful of games. I am not a heavy Computer gamer, so I rely on the console to give me that entertainment. For it to be worth that amount of money, the games have to make me feel something that I did not feel with the PS2, hence the "upgrade". A DVD function is also good too. Online PS3 games would be cool too, but what else from a computer would I want/need in a PS3?

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Uh...that's what it does.

I'm not gonna sit in front of my TV and type a report for my classes dude. I'm talking about more than just games, a calendar and some half ass web browser. Windows functionality, I want to be able to ****in bit torrent PS3 games on my PS3 if I'm paying 600+ dollars for that thing.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Kaination said:
that's a factor I'm thinking. I already have a (somewhat) high powered PC that plays games, and does everything.

Why would I need a miniture version that only plays games? :(

Another reason I really am edging away from the PS3 is, what if the life span wears out like the Playstation 2? For paying $500-$600+ on a console, I sure don't want it to die after 2-3 years of usage.

edit: unless I'm missing something where they said it won't, someone plz linkeh it to me o_o
Meh, I doubt Sony would repeat the mistake twice, and not all PS2's died out, my PS2 is still kicking from day 1.

I doubt they'd pull a microsoft and have an overheating harddrive within 6 hours of play.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i remember when ps2 came out people were saying the exact samething. oh that **** is to expensive **** sony. then everyone and their mother bought a ps2, it will be no different for the ps3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably not.

It's also worth noting that I have a model 1 PS2, that is still alive to this day.

@Tass: Being mad that they won't allow you to steal games (which is really the only thing computers do that it doesn't, other than running software) is a little selfish, don't you think?

Not like it matters anyway. I'm gonna have one of those launch PS3s and all my friends are gonna envy me cause they can't afford it. So for me the high price is cool--it adds an exclusivity factor to the purchase that makes it near irresistable for me to buy asap.

Anybody else notice the release date is apparently the same timeframe as the Wii? Gonna be a rough time at Gamestop that week...though, two months off, and no one seems to be taking preorders....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom