Some Wireless Networking Questions

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never set up a computer network before, wired or not, so I decided to come here and ask some (probably simple) questions that some of you will probably know the answers to.
Basically, I'd like to set up an 802.11b or 802.11g network and share a cable internet connection between my two computers (both are running Windows XP Home Edition, and both have open PCI slots for a card). One is in the basement of our house (the one with the cable connection, which I am using to make this thread), and the other is on the first floor of the house, in my room. If the ceiling of the basement (AKA floor of the first floor) wasn't there, the second computer would basically fall on top of the first. They're very near eachother from that perspective, but I'd really like to not have to drill a hole in the floor for a wired connection.
So my questions are:
  • Would the computers being on different floors of the house greatly affect the speed of the connection between them? (I know 802.11b is different from 802.11a, and etc, but I don't know which would be the best choice)

• Are you able to share an Internet connection with 802.11a/b/g, or do they only allow connection between the machines with cards installed?

• If the answer to the second question is no, then how do you wirelessly share a cable Internet connection? A wireless router? And would that be affected much by the wall between the computers?

If anyone has websites with some helpful information, I'd also appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

Best answers
1. Not that I know of, they do have limits, but so long as it isnt a huge distace apart, I dont think it would matter
2 / 3. You use a router, wireless if you prefer. The i-net connection goes to the router, and then the router sends it to the comps.

*note* -> any or all of this could be wrong. Im going on my limited network knowledge.

I go in hunt of websites with info.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
  • Would the computers being on different floors of the house greatly affect the speed of the connection between them? (I know 802.11b is different from 802.11a, and etc, but I don't know which would be the best choice)

• Are you able to share an Internet connection with 802.11a/b/g, or do they only allow connection between the machines with cards installed?

• If the answer to the second question is no, then how do you wirelessly share a cable Internet connection? A wireless router? And would that be affected much by the wall between the computers?
if the 2 computers can establish a connection to each other then i dont believe that ud get any loss of speed

and if the the two computers can recognize each other and access one another then u can share a connection as long as its set up to do so

Best answers
OK, I have Wireless connection in my room and there are some limits.
1. Don't get a wireless phone w/ nearly the same frequency... it will kick you off. :( stupid phone hope it breaks! (happens frequently some days, some days it will do nothing).

2. I heard that the signal is sent out horizontally at best so I don't know how good it will do if the computer is above you. ( one reason why it is best to keep your little antenna's sticking straight up not crooked)

For you questions..

1. If you have a connection it should be ok.. I have no loss of speed. G is the fastest though.

2. Doesn't matter but A is the slowest I believe.

3. Need a router connected to a comp and cable and it sends signal to a comp w/ wireless nic. Doesn't matter what company or types... don't get USB ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom